Review Cats defeat Crows by 19 at AO

Remove this Banner Ad

I told you all we would be fine

Now if I can only be that confidence and right in non football matters that’ll be great

I wrote this on the gameday thread on the Big footy main board.

Cats did win the flag in 2022 but finished 12th in 2023.

Were the cats really that bad in 2023? I hate it when the cold hard win/loss record is the main factor. Cats lost 4 or 5 close games last season. Cats were 12th with 10 wins and 12 losses and 1 draw with 112%. Had the cats turned 3 close losses into wins, they would of been out right 5th or 6th.

Carlton finished 5th last season on 13 wins and a Draw. Freo finished 14th with 10 wins and 13 losses.

so..... a 3 win and 1 draw gap between 5th and 14th. I wont be suprised if its only a 3 win gap between 5th to 12th this year.

Clark looks very small out there.

He wants to play crash and bang game but doesn’t have the size to do it fully effectively yet.

Getting games into him whilst winning is a real bonus.

Totally bummed about Danger looking like he will be out for a little bit… Be is still the main man around the middle of the ground and in contests for us.

No shock when you saw the size of his Dad in the rooms post match. Looked like he could ride the fav at Rosehill in race 7. As my wife’s grandmother used to say, “you can’t breed rats out of mice”.

Thank God Stewart plays for the cats. He must be the most frustrating player for opposition fans to watch as opponents seem to continually kick it straight to him.
This is the true genius of guys like Stewart who can read the play and read the ball from afar. Scarlo / Taylor were similar.

As an offensive player, if you're under pressure, you don't have time to look up, figure out where Stewart is, find an opponent not within his reach, then aim for them. And since Stewart is so good at reading the play in front of him, he works out where the attacking player is probably going to kick beforehand. It makes the opposition look like they're kicking it straight to him, but he's just better than most players at reading the game and knowing where the ball is probably going.

In fairness he said he's been positive before of a hammy only to find nothing and others where he thought he was right but still pinged one.

NEWSFLASH: Deputy Prime Minister Richard Marles in pork barrelling admission shocker! Coming up next on Sky News!
To me Richard just looked like he was having a laugh about It but the nuffies have no sense of sarcasm of course

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gave a very assured and confident interview to CH7, not taking any s**t when they questioned his shot and miss on goal. Says looks for the team, but likes a snag like any other forward. When we have Tuohey, Close and Gryan peppering the goals and previous hungry players too numerous to name (Menegola) I don't see why he's any different, getting paid to do it.
Sick of people sooking about it.
Nothing worse that wasting F50 entries by trying to be 'unselfish' with overuse of handball, etc

Great great win, I'd assumed it was going to be a scheduled loss especially given the late changes impacting the area we are already the thinnest in...but that was absolutely superb.
Stewart was incredible, but I thought Kolo and Zuth were absolute rocks as well and both had some big moments.

Best game Gryan has played? Parf was scrappy but he played the axe role to perfection, he fought for everything and I thought he looked fit and got better as the game went on as well. Blitz was fantastic, we are so fortunate we have him and probably won't truely appreciate him till he's gone, a true unicorn.

I think Clark shows some great signs, he does some things you just can't teach. This year will do him wonders but he will really flourish in a couple of years when he's got the size and strength to play the game style that he does IMO.

Great result, the type of win that can set up a year.

I do feel bad for Knev, he'd feel s**t but hopefully his time comes, fwiw his game is one that will translate better in the 1s than the VFL I think

Last edited:
Also I'll add one thing... F**k the home cooking umpires, so many tackles not rewarded that in the first half Crow players didn't even try to get rid of it or dispose of it legally knowing they wouldn't get pinged.

If the umps need the crowd yelling out BALL to realise it's a potential HTB situation... They shouldn't be umpires

Stanley was terrible, hardly touched the ball, looked like a slow moving barge most of the night.

Parfitt is way ahead of Clark on tonight's performance. Clark really struggled against the big boys tonight, especially in contests, they brushed him aside on several occasions. Would not be surprised to see Clark given extended time in the Magoos. Parfitt was in Geelong's best and should be in the best 22 next game. Mullin still has a lot to learn, how to tackle for one. He has potential but is a bit lost at AFL level. Mannagh is lively but struggles with the speed of AFL. Maybe a good substitute at this stage.

I get why you think that but i dont see them dropping clark.

Defence was immense. Thirteen more I50s for four fewer scoring shots is a huge effort. Stewart was magnificent, loved Zuthrie’s efforts late as well. Huge win with an ersatz midfield and a couple of inexperienced blokes at half forward.

PS the snide stuff about Mannagh being hungry is a joke. Good! Take on the responsibility of kicking friggin goals!!

Because knevitt is so far off it and lacks intensity.. at least oisin has the talent, just needs confidence. Way more potential in oisin than knevitt. There is a reason knevitt is down the pecking order

Oisin has talent but hes not ready. Needs more vfl time to learn game patterns

Clark looks very small out there.

He wants to play crash and bang game but doesn’t have the size to do it fully effectively yet.
My thoughts exactly. Especially in today’s footy where “midfield bulls” reign.
Needs to build a tank so that he can run opponents ragged a la Lachie Neale maybe tone down the bash and crash a bit.
Bruhn doesn’t look that big either..Atkins not huge.
Smallish mid groups could be prone to getting swept aside by by some of bigger cohorts on occasions..

That game was pretty instructional for Parf. First qtr he was struggling with speed of decision making (makes sense given how little AFL level he has played over the last 2 years) but he was very intense defensively and his tackling was really good. Then as the game wore on he became far more involved in our transition game and his work at stoppages improved. His is a game that needs continuity at the level because he is a grinder. If he plays 1 game then misses 5 he is never going to be effective. I actually hope they stick with him for a block of games to see once and for all if he can be a part of our midfield for the next 5 years.

I officially have no idea about the HTB rule.

Blicavs was super tonight. We won the game when he was in the ruck, obrien gave stanley a bath.

Very mature game from Dempsey. Not a highlight reel game but stayed involved through work rate and smarts. He is a keeper, reminds me of Stevie J after his 3rd season. If he develops SJ’s core strength to go with a big tank, look out.

Kolo was great again. Gets way too much s**t on this board, just does his job most weeks to a high level.

Jack Henry has allowed the rest of the backline to fall into place.

Tom Stewart - what can you say? Richmond fans are crying in their beer.

This season feels a lot like 2022. Wide open, it will take us a while to be convinced about Geelong’s chances but we are as good a chance as any to be there at the pointy end.

Geelong are the Michael Myers of the AFL. Impossible to kill.
1711145895877.jpeg

Expect four weeks and be pleased if it’s shorter.
I think that is fair expectation. Might be 3 games? Question is whether he takes more time to do 2022 mid season workload to attack second half? Maybe depends on win loss in next 4 games?

My thoughts exactly. Especially in today’s footy where “midfield bulls” reign.
Needs to build a tank so that he can run opponents ragged a la Lachie Neale maybe tone down the bash and crash a bit.
Bruhn doesn’t look that big either..Atkins not huge.
Smallish mid groups could be prone to getting swept aside by by some of bigger cohorts on occasions..
Notice difference when danger and blitz in middle in terms of that size

Remove this Banner Ad

Back