Remove this Banner Ad

BITW

Senior List
Aug 22, 2014
Adelaide
AFL Club
West Coast
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-10-20/tv-boost-for-state-leagues

In 2014, SANFL broadcasts averaged around 31,000 viewers compared to 16,000 the year before.

The SANFL Grand Final, where Norwood beat Port Adelaide by four points, had an average audience of 129,000 viewers.

Seven is believed to be seriously considering using its digital channels in Victoria and Western Australia to broadcast at least one state competition match each weekend to complement its AFL coverage in those markets.

It's too early to speculate on commentary teams, but it's uncertain whether there'd be a position for the long-time face of VFL telecasts Phil Cleary.

Collingwood president Eddie McGuire's production company McGuire Media produces the SANFL broadcasts for Seven and AFL.com.au has confirmed negotiations for a similar arrangement are underway in Victoria and Western Australia.

How would this be received? In SA the TV deal had a mixed reception, some loved it, but others thought it killed attendance. Probably an argument for both camps. I know there's a strong WAFL contingent on the boards so sound out!

Personally, I wouldn't mind being able to see East Perth in action if I was able to find a feed/broadcast.

How would this be received? In SA the TV deal had a mixed reception, some loved it, but others thought it killed attendance. Probably an argument for both camps. I know there's a strong WAFL contingent on the boards so sound out!

Personally, I wouldn't mind being able to see East Perth in action if I was able to find a feed/broadcast.

TV coverage is an overall positive for the sport IMO.

Lack of coverage just results in it descending even further into the "friends and relatives" category.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Will be good for those wanting to see East Perth or Subi a lot...

For efficiency purposes Ch 7 will only be setting up cameras at one or two grounds. So Leederville oval is a given, it is possible they might do Freo oval if both Souths/Easts both play there which was mooted.

I wonder whether Corbin Middlemas gets poached or not?

At some point he will most likely step out from Aunty's shadow...

Hmmm for those in Perth you really should try and get out to the games. Great relaxed atmosphere, get to see the young fellas, and full strength piss.
I try and go with my pop whenever I'm back in Perth. He played for royals and is in their hall of fame. Usually get to meet alot of people to. He also gets free tickets to all eagles and dockers home games which is pretty sweet

Yeah get along to the games guys.

I went to Falcons v Lions up in Joondalup with one of my kids last year (needed to get him out of the house so we could wrap his birthday presents) so took a hike up the freeway to Joondalup - was an awesome atmosphere, food 100x better than Subi Oval, full strength beers served in the can, ice cold (shame I had to drive 30km home).

Even Leederville Oval is good, especially on wet days, as it turns into a 1980s style mud patch.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Joondalup is an excellent set up. The ground is harddddd though.

And the ******* wind is like ice.

Leederville and "steel blue" ovals also great.

I'd say Fremantle is the best but hate soufs with all my heart. Me and Dad used to stop off there and piss up against the wall. How times have changed.

I'm confused. This is OLD news. As far as I'm aware, the WAFL need to attract a major sponsor as part of the funding model. They declared they'd announce it a month or two back but they obviously still haven't found one. I wonder if the AFL article is a means to widen the net.

On topic, television coverage is vital. I hope this does get up. It will be nice to have it on a mainstream channel and with a video quality that doesn't look like it's been filmed on a mobile phone.

I do encourage people to attend the WAFL. If you want a cheap day out, a game of hard traditional footy, a great relaxed atmosphere, a kick of the footy and full strength beer - you can't go wrong.

Damn now we have to put up with adds...GTFO channel 7. McGuire Media? Does this guy not have his hand in everything . Runs off to check small print on the back of toilet paper wrapper.

I love going to the WAFL, any serious footy follower would enjoy the atmosphere, the closeness to the action, able to go and have a kick on the field.
Getting in amongst the huddle, especially while stiffy is firing on all cylinders, is the best thing Quinz. ;)
Scotland is right as well, the more exposure the better for the WAFL and Aunty wants to promote women's sport.

Damn now we have to put up with adds...GTFO channel 7. McGuire Media? Does this guy not have his hand in everything . Runs off to check small print on the back of toilet paper wrapper.
In fairness to CH7 they're only getting involved because the ABC decided not to cover WAFL due to budget constraints. At least I think that's the case

If a commercial station didn't get involved there'd be no coverage

In fairness to CH7 they're only getting involved because the ABC decided not to cover WAFL due to budget constraints. At least I think that's the case

Yeah you are right, some coverage is better than none at all. On a side note, I was in Lathlain the other day, now that is a sad looking ground and I was only there three years ago. The quicker the WCE build their ground there the better.

Nah, they want to cover womens sport.

During the minor round, the league noted a rise of nearly two hundred people in the average match attendance compared with last season.

This equated to a 7.5 per cent rise across the home-and-away fixture, with Round 4 highlighting the league’s popularity through a total of 27,786 people watching the SANFL.

http://www.sanfl.com.au/news/sanfl_news/2710/

Think this will probley see crowd numbers drop slightly

It could possibly have that effect, however I think it would even out fairly quickly as the TV coverage draws in new supporters. I don't follow the WAFL as much as I should, however the availability of the TV telecast on 7 may just boost my interest enough to want to attend more than just one/two games next year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back