Champions of Carlton - Top 150 List

Remove this Banner Ad

The team of the century guys that made it, who you would think will be at the top of the order.
SOS
Nick
Doull
Jez
Diesel
Barass, - Barassi qualifies just played exactly 50 games and 5 years... I don't know enough about his time at Carlton to consider if he should be in the top bracket, or was his best footy played at Melbourne.

Why not, 3x bnfs, 4x all aust and a brownlow. As well as single handedly bringing back our great club from its lowest ever point.
premierships, longest serving afl captain, etc tec

kernahan - most afl games as captain, 5 all australians, 3 best and fairest, 2 times premiership captain, he played more games as captain than most blokes will play at all in their careers,

kicked 10 goals on numerous occasions in sog, and this is all after he dominated SA football for 4 years!

if you include sanfl and sog, i think he kicked 1200 goals or close to it lol

do you know much about sticks?

deadset champion and would always kick a goal when required!!! (except that out on the full that day!!!)

Last edited:
My first memories take me back to the mid 70s so I'm going with:
1. SOS
2. Judd
3. Diesel
4. Doull
5. Hunter
6. Kernahan
7. Johnston
8. Kouta
9. Southby
10. Bradley

We've been blessed to have some of the VFL/AFLs greatest champions in our proud history, hence our 16 flags. Embarrassment??? You idiot!

Same as me. Where's Jezza? Even in his later years was still a gun.

Pearce 1995 would have to go down as one of greatest years from a forward pocket in the history of the game. From the current team only Simpson and Judd deserve to be in the list.

players who bosustow SHOULD have been in front of

Beaumont
Blackwell
Hanna
Hogg
Houlihan
Manton
Thornton

v disappointing a KEY player in our 81-2 premiership teams was not acknowledged

(Log in to remove this ad.)

players who bosustow SHOULD have been in front of

Beaumont
Blackwell
Hanna
Hogg
Houlihan
Manton
Thornton

v disappointing a KEY player in our 81-2 premiership teams was not acknowledged
Buzz did not qualify for the 150 list as he did not meet the 5 years and 50 games criteria.

He was somewhat ahead of the seven listed , I think he only played 3 seasons (i may be wrong here) but in my opinion no Carlton player had a bigger impact in such a short period. An incredible talent :thumbsu:

Congrats to Carlton on 150 seasons in competitive football.
And what a great suggestion of the list (though I personally think Hopkins and Bosustow would be worthy inclusions) to honour 150 champion players.

However what I have an issue with is not honouring the 150 year history of the club with players who participated in the pre-VFL era (a time when Carlton won 7 premierships)
In an age where history is routinely banished it is sad to see an opportunity to bring all footy fans up to date with some of the heroes of that era was missed in this list.

7 premierships, 5 champions of the colony (not just Carlton B&F, but league B&F) and all they could find was George Coulthard.

Yet 9 current day players get in the list despite the fact that none have really played well in big finals for Carlton (maybe Judd excepted). Honourable servants and talented ones, but certainly no greater claim on a place than at least the 4 missed "champions of the colony":
Donovan, Lacey, Robertson and Baker

I'm thinking maybe the lack of reliable data on the amount of games played may have had something to do with their omission. That's why games played is an unreliable measure - at least for players with an elite contribution like the 4 I listed above, plus Hopkins and Bosustow).

On the top players, I am too young to have seen many players, but on my general footy knowledge, it will be hard going past AFL Hall of Fame Legends Nicholls and Jesaulenko for P1/P2. These others are in most top 10s as pretty standard - Doull/Kernahan/Steve Silvagni/Williams

Finally I'd have considered making the list the 150 Greatest Blues - allowing premiership coaches like Ron Barassi, David Parkin and Perc Bentley a gig.

Congrats to Carlton on 150 seasons in competitive football.
And what a great suggestion of the list (though I personally think Hopkins and Bosustow would be worthy inclusions) to honour 150 champion players.

However what I have an issue with is not honouring the 150 year history of the club with players who participated in the pre-VFL era (a time when Carlton won 7 premierships)
In an age where history is routinely banished it is sad to see an opportunity to bring all footy fans up to date with some of the heroes of that era was missed in this list.

7 premierships, 5 champions of the colony (not just Carlton B&F, but league B&F) and all they could find was George Coulthard.

Yet 9 current day players get in the list despite the fact that none have really played well in big finals for Carlton (maybe Judd excepted). Honourable servants and talented ones, but certainly no greater claim on a place than at least the 4 missed "champions of the colony":
Donovan, Lacey, Robertson and Baker

I'm thinking maybe the lack of reliable data on the amount of games played may have had something to do with their omission. That's why games played is an unreliable measure - at least for players with an elite contribution like the 4 I listed above, plus Hopkins and Bosustow).

On the top players, I am too young to have seen many players, but on my general footy knowledge, it will be hard going past AFL Hall of Fame Legends Nicholls and Jesaulenko for P1/P2. These others are in most top 10s as pretty standard - Doull/Kernahan/Steve Silvagni/Williams

Finally I'd have considered making the list the 150 Greatest Blues - allowing premiership coaches like Ron Barassi, David Parkin and Perc Bentley a gig.

Great post.

The fact that we got almost 50 players out of the 150 who were pre WWII was in and of itself a little victory.

For example, we only had ONE pre war player in our top 22 team of the century.

http://www.blueseum.org/tiki-index.php?page=Team+of+the+Century

That was a disgrace.

50 out of 150 is much better than 1 out of 22.

We have a dichotomy where our club celebrates our early history through our supporters through things like the Blueseum but at the club level still not enough recognition is given to that time period. During a 150th it should be highlighted.

I am only old enough to remember watching footy from about our premiership in 1995 (geez its been downhill for me since then...) Wish I had the chance to watch some of the all time greats of the club.

I would rate the ten best Blues players I have seen as:

1. Kernahan
2. SOS
3. Diesel
4. Judd
5. Kouta
6. Fev
7. Bradley
8. Ratten
9. McKay
10. Simpson

Hard to come up with an order after number 5 but that's my attempt :)

Gee that Mark Robinson article about our 5 best ever is ordinary today.
Picks SOS as our number five but spends 3/4 of the article talking about salary / payment issues
Unbalanced.
Can only dream that any future article written about Hird will contain reference to him presiding over the realm of a systematic doping fiefdom that beheaded many knights yet the King remained to live long.
FBHPOS

I'll give you Number One.

1. Jesaulenko - his name transcended the game, to take a Jezza ...........well that's that. There's some players that are better than the rest, he was one of them, never lost his feet, dual sided, a step ahead of the game.

There is no-one better.

.....and here's the batshit crazy years......haven't seen this yet........by golly this is gunna be good.

I would have Brad Pearce in front of Kreuzer, Thornton and Jarrad Waite...but I guess their marking criteria is different to mine. Over 50 goals in a premiership season makes Pearce almost an automatic selection based on the criteria I have.

Rod Ashman I would have in front of most -236 games, 370 goals. That is superior to most. Based on games, goals record, finals etc he would be close to top 10. I would have Harmes in the top 10 based purely on my personal opinion that as a complete package he was better than almost anyone else, but I can understand why he will miss out on top 10 based on their marking criteria.

Bypassing Phil Maylin, and the Buzz based on the marking criteria is tough to see.

Last edited:
OK. for no good reason here's my top 21 - selected only from those players I've seen play so 1976 onward, and based on how much I enjoyed watching them play.

The Top 5:

A Jesaulenko - Incomparable. Makes Wayne Carey look talentless.
B Doull - Unbeatable - just a joy to watch.
S Silvagni - Again just a delight to watch him use his rubber arms around an opponent.
G Williams - Owned the midfield. Our best poached recruit.
S Kernahan - Frustrated me week in week out, but played the big games like a true champ.

The rest:

Wayne Johnston - Owned the centre square.
Craig Bradley - Butchered the ball in his early days and would do anything to pad his stats, but grew in skill and stature year after year. Really enjoyed watching such a great career from go to whoah.
David Rhys-Jones - A latter day Bruce Doull - the last true mongrel backman we've had. We need him now!
Ken Hunter - fragile and fantastic, flew like no-one else.
Geoff Southby - Best fullback of all time after SOS
Peter Bosustow - Ken Hunter with more body strength.
Mike Fitzpatrick - The #1 Leader on any field he played, against any side.
Rod Ashman - Marc Murphy before MM was born.
Curly Austin - one half of a great double act.
Jimmy Buckley - ditto
Kade Simpson - The real leader of our side today. The only truly great player we currently have, mired in a weak side that never shows the grit, determination and physical attack on the ball he does. Outstanding. Would die for this club if it would win us a flag. Should be captain.
Wayne Harmes - Bull at a a gate power, our Leigh Matthews in the midfield.
Scott Camporeale - Skilful in the way that we used to take for granted, an artist with the ball. You could breathe out when he took possession, you always knew he'd use it well
Marc Murphy - Rod Ashman reborn - for God's sake lets keep this one from having his head knocked off.
Brendon Fevola - So much talent, so little brains..

Obvious exceptions:
Judd - A great player, but before he came to us. We dragged him back to earth.
Eddy Betts - Just a joy to watch him work his magic. If only we'd been good enough to keep him.
Andy Walker - my personal favourite player - but will never produce his best while we keep asking him to do a different job every week. Should be centre-half forward on a consistent basis. High marks or taps to the crumbers. Think about it.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back