Changes for 4th Test in Adelaide.

Remove this Banner Ad

I reckon Starc will keep his spot and Siddle or Harris will have a rest. Siddle didn't look good at times in Perth and Harris needs to be cotton wooled. That being said Harris does have a good record at Adelaide.
If starc plays he'll also help Lyon with the foot marks. Yes that's the flimsiest reason to pick him but Lyon will need all the help he can get.
As everyone keeps saying about Lyon, he needs experience. What better place than Adelaide? Bowl lots of overs at top quality batsmen on a road. Any wickets he does pick up can be worn with pride. Same goes for Starc, albeit with a chance of injury given our recent luck with pace injuries.

I made a post recently that we shouldn't rest any players for the fourth Test, that I wanted us to field a full strength side and grind India into the dirt. After seeing the full extent of their "performance" in Perth, to be honest, I think we can easily rest a bloke like Siddle or Harris.

The other option is that we rest Ponting or Hussey, or drop Marsh, and play five bowlers. On a flat Adelaide track, we should have no problem setting a total against a mind-crushed Indian attack, whether we use five or six top-order batsmen, and playing five bowlers would allow our bowlers a bit of a break (workload split between five, not four) without running the risk of disrupting their form. It would also allow Starc to make use of the confidence he would have taken from that game. He'll be back out of the side soon, so we might as well get some overs into him while we can and he's confident.

I think it's quite clear that Marsh and Haddin will play in Adelaide, although both need to perform or should be out of the Windies tour. I doubt Siddle would be rested. If Harris is fit, then Starc is out for Lyon.

In:
Wade
Khawaja
O'Keefe/Lyon

Out:
Haddin
Marsh
Starc

Might as well finally make the changes now that the series is wrapped up. There isn't a more perfect time to give Bad Haddin the boot and introduce Wade to test cricket.

What I'd like:

Out: Haddin, In: Wade
Out: Starc, In: Lyon
Out: Marsh, In: Watson if fit, if not S. Smith.

As much as I do not rate Smith I think at Adelaide you need a 5th bowling option.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What I'd like:

Out: Haddin, In: Wade
Out: Starc, In: Lyon
Out: Marsh, In: Watson if fit, if not S. Smith.

As much as I do not rate Smith I think at Adelaide you need a 5th bowling option.
Dan Christian?

and pattinson similarly has been given the tap on the shoulder and told he's got a test career on the basis of a handful of good FC games.

I think the whole country agrees with the selection of Patto. Sometimes you have to take risks

I am resting Siddle or Hilfy and keeping Starc in the side. He needs overs and experience and I think probably Siddle is due for a rest. Lyon comes in and hopefully does well.
Whislt there is an arguement for that i don't think it will happen. I'm more willing to bet that they give them both a rest during the ODI, win in Adelaide and we're back to #3 in the rankings.

I'd be willing to bet though that Starc has been told he's out, but not to worry he'll play the ODI matches as his chance to win a spot for the WI tour.

Whislt there is an arguement for that i don't think it will happen. I'm more willing to bet that they give them both a rest during the ODI, win in Adelaide and we're back to #3 in the rankings.

I'd be willing to bet though that Starc has been told he's out, but not to worry he'll play the ODI matches as his chance to win a spot for the WI tour.

I can agree with all of the above for sure. I just think Starc would benefit a lot from playing at the Adelaide Oval and needing to bowl plenty of overs.

Agree, Hily will get the rest.

He has degenerative knee tendonitis, and needs to be looked after.

Harris is 32 and will be on the shelf sooner than later, play him while he's fit.

If picking on form, then Starc obviously misses.

In: Lyon
Out: Siddle

Of all the quicks I think Siddle is the natural one to miss out. He's played all five tests this summer (and done bloody well) and should be due a rest in our rotation system (Hilfenhaus is the other candidate for a rest but he's only played the last three). Harris needs to prove he can play back-to-back test matches whilst Starc showed enough in Perth that you'd like to continue his development by playing him again in Adelaide and getting a lot of overs under his belt.

The Haddin situation has been done to death so gotta assume he'll play.

If the selectors are worried about the attack then maybe there's a chance that Christian plays instead of Marsh on his home track to provide a 5th bowling option but I'd doubt it.

The bowlers don't need a rest, they have just played a test match that turned into a two day game, they won't play for another week because it was finished up short, by the time the adelaide test comes around you will find they have gone a few weeks playing very little cricket.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back