Changes for Round 15 v Fremantle @ Patersons Stadium; Western Derby XL

Remove this Banner Ad

Exactly and even when some players do make a impact in their first year based on skill alone it often comes back to bite them if they were not physically ready. Morton, Trengrove and Scully at Melbourne come to mind. All had outstanding first years but struggled later.
Melbourne is Melbourne. Nothing to do with physical readiness, their development was simply stunted.

Skinny kids are excelling all over the league despite being under developed physically.

Melbourne is Melbourne. Nothing to do with physical readiness, their development was simply stunted.

Skinny kids are excelling all over the league despite being under developed physically.
And others have been severely injured.
Templeton and Kennedy Harris say hello.

I have to agree with comments about us not playing the kids.

Kids foster enthusiasm and hope on and off the field. They have more to play for and their development drives the older players in the side to stay on their toes.

See 2011 and the mini revival of Embley, Lynch et al.
I agree with this to some extent but like the old saying "Some are more ready than others"

Darling and Gaff were clearly ready for AFL in round 1.

Sheed was given that opportunity and it became clear he still had some developing to do in the WAFL.

Colledge and Tunbridge are probably the two that could genuinely be getting more games but both have had injuries at s**t times.

If anyone suggests Maginness should have already debuted - seriously? You can't blame the club for that one. Though I think he may be a shot before the end of the year - which is crazy.

Alot boils down to their role at AFL level. It didn't matter that Gaff was a twig when he was drafted because he was quality on the outside and was used exclusively in that role. Swift and Naitanui were athletic freaks.

Genuine inside mids generally need to be more physically developed before they can excel. That's why Sheed despite being a developed body isn't getting games like someone like Gaff was. That's my take on it anyway.

Yes but with you the jury's no longer out on Sheed either...
Well fivey either Simmo thinks Sheed isn't up to it or he's injured. Why would you not give your #1 pick a bit of a taste of AFL ? personally I think its a case of not being able to have 2 "Priddis" types in the squad on the day but utilize some leg speed of others. Geez I hope I'm seriously off the mark here because it could be another case of selecting Vanilla with a lowish pick.

He's not a footballers a-hole though. Which seems important. In a game of football.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agreed, i've been a big on Cripps being dropped, he has been ordinary, but if it's a choice over him or Mcginnity, i'd have Cripps any day. Granted Paddy tries hard, but damn me we are not playing under 9's. We lack class and he certainly does not have any of that. I'd rather have Tunbridge, could not do any worse than what Cripps has done. Plus he has the hardness by the looks of it with way more skill than McGinnity.

Hopefully Lycett looks at it like Brown did and can see where he sits, and what he will be doing for us next year.

Well fivey either Simmo thinks Sheed isn't up to it or he's injured. Why would you not give your #1 pick a bit of a taste of AFL ? personally I think its a case of not being able to have 2 "Priddis" types in the squad on the day but utilize some leg speed of others. Geez I hope I'm seriously off the mark here because it could be another case of selecting Vanilla with a lowish pick.
I think most people knew he was somewhat vanilla but safe, hence us knowing he would be there at pick 11.

I agree with this to some extent but like the old saying "Some are more ready than others"
Even playing Smith in a new role and giving him an opportunity to reinvent himself as a forward would be better for morale than bringing in McGinnity.

Anywho, let's see how things pan out tomorrow. Hopefully Paddy kicks to the Gov at every opportunity because at least he'll make a contest of it

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think most people knew he was somewhat vanilla but safe, hence us knowing he would be there at pick 11.

Yep, hence Collingwood being happy to trade up for our pick. The Yeo trade was good but I seriously doubted us trading down to get Sheed and I'm getting more worried by the week as he's not really showing much. Obviously I'm happy to give him time and I hope he proves me wrong in the next few years buts it's a concern when Aish is tearing it up.
In relation to what others are talking about in this thread, I agree it makes no sense to play Cox unless he's retiring, and we should be moving on anyone who has been on the list 5 years without showing enough to be in the top side regularly and help us win a flag. We obviously need a few spares as depth but if we don't go hard for good kids both established and via draft then our club has no idea about how to be successful anymore.

I'm comfortable playing McGinnity.

So long as he walks up to Ballantyne and produces a crowbar or an iron bar of some description.

Look, if it'd had happened back in Australia he'd be towelling off and reaching for the talcum powder by now.

Please football gods... Lycett out only for a farewell game for Cox and all being managed well by the club! Not confident enough to bet the house, though surely Lycett has been given the green light for his future with WCE. Mind you, can't blame him for sussing out Port as their potential right now is sky high...

I'm comfortable playing McGinnity.

So long as he walks up to Ballantyne and produces a crowbar or an iron bar of some description.

Look, if it'd had happened back in Australia he'd be towelling off and reaching for the talcum powder by now.
Why Ballantyne? Bennell will eat him for breakfast anyway and if that fails, just remind him it's a "Grand Final" and he will implode all by himself.

McGinnity should at least test out Pav's new nose job however... ;)

I would like Gaff as a sub but I don't think he is damaging enough. Just highlights our severe lack of quality mids

My thinking is a lot of the players will be tired and even Taggers will be tired so hoping he could come in and steady the ship a bit.

Some tweets from Simpsons presser today:

West Coast Eagles ‏@WestCoastEagles 5m
"We need to manage the three of them. Before two weeks ago they had all played every game. It's Scott's turn." Adam Simpson on ruckmen

West Coast Eagles ‏@WestCoastEagles 3m
"He's a really important player for us. He's a critical part of this club's future" Adam Simpson on Lycett #goeagles

West Coast Eagles ‏@WestCoastEagles 2m
"We won't change the way we play. We're still learning, growing, developing." -AS #goeagles

West Coast Eagles ‏@WestCoastEagles 15s
"Fyfe is in great form. He's a midfielder that can do a lot of damage" -AS

West Coast Eagles ‏@WestCoastEagles 25s
"Hurn is going to do the job this week." -Adam Simpson announces the captain for the Derby. #goeagles

West Coast Eagles ‏@WestCoastEagles 1m
"He came to all our meetings pre and post game last week. We think he's going to be a coach one day, hopefully with us." -AS on Cox

Remove this Banner Ad

Back