Changes for the Second Test @ The Adelaide Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't see why people think bringing Smith in for North would weaken the batting.

Smith basically couldn't be any worse than North. I'd back Smith to get runs ahead of North. He has the better first class average. On top of that, he's a gun in the field, and we've been absolutely terrible in the field in this match. Plus, Smith probably wouldn't be able to keep it as tight as North does when bowling, but I reckon he's the bigger chance to pick up wickets.

Has to be the most obvious selection call ever.

Bollinger for Johnson the only change for me (although would also have a close look at Harris).

North probably should be dropped but with Smith, Kwahaja, White and Ferguson all failing in the shield this weekend I think they would be reluctant to bring any of them in. On form the selectors should really be having a look at Dave Hussey or Shaun Marsh but I suspect they have been pegged as one-day/T20 players only. I suspect North's bowling will be handy at Adelaide as well.

In saying all that I wouldn't have played Hussey, Haddin or Siddle in the first test so all my opinions should probably be ignored!

I reckon we don't worry about blooding new players until after the World cup. We just pick whoever is in form.

We need to replace North and Johnson for Adelaide.

The players included in the 17 man squad selected three weeks ago (who aren't in the current 11) are:

Callum Ferguson, Usman Khawaja, Nathan Hauritz, Steve Smith, Doug Bollinger and Ryan Harris.

Those included in the A squad were:
Cameron White, Ed Cowan, Shaun Marsh, Phil Hughes, Tim Paine, Steve O'Keefe, Mark Cameron and Peter George.

The current top run-scorer in Shield cricket is David Hussey and the current top wicket taker is Chris Swan.

They can either replace North with a new no. 6 or move Watson down the order and replace an opener (potentially allowing Ponting to feel confident in bowling him more often).

Unfortunately, none of those in or around the Australian team are smashing the door down to be selected as batsmen.

White has made a century against England, and probably deserves a chance, but his Shield from isn't smoking hot. Khwaja seems to be in a flat spot with the bat since he was suggested as a possible test player. Hughes has done the same as White - made runs vs. England but not much else.

The bowling is better. Bollinger was unlucky not to play in Brisbane and will probably come right in with Harris next in line.

So, I reckon the team for Adelaide should be, if age is no barrier and form is the idea...

Katich (must bowl 5 overs per innings)
M. Hussey
Ponting
Clarke (must bowl 10 overs per innings)
Watson (must bowl 25 overs per innings)
D. Hussey (must bowl 10 over per innings)
Haddin
Siddle (change bowler)
Doherty (must attack)
Hilfenhaus (opening bowler)
Bollinger (opening bowler)

That being said, I'd have no problem with in: Smith, Bollinger, Out: North, Johnson.

I think there will be 1 change to the bowling attack. True the selectors are conservative with changes, but 1/500 odd is just too big a whacking (even with a flat deck) to not respond with a change.

Siddle's hatrick and 6 for means he is safe, and i imagine Xavier will be given another test to prove himself. I am tipping one of Hilf or Johnsom to go. Probably Hilf, though it should be Johnson on recent form. Bollinger most likely to come in.

Unfortunately, i don't think this will make any difference. England look the better team, despite the draw.
In regards to the bowling Johnson and Hifenhaus both out for Bollinger and Harris. Johnson speaks for himself. Hilfenhaus is steady but he's not dangerous and doesn't give the impression of running through a side. I'd prefer Harris.

North and Johnson out. Khawaja and Bollinger in.

WTF have people got against Hifenhaus? At least he swings the ball. Will be better with Doug coming from the other end as well. I don't think Siddle is a new ball bowler and Hifenhaus is the only one in the team at present.

None of the bowlers performed in the second innings but Johnson was by far the worst. He is terrible and I've been saying this from the start. He's erratic and I would like to know how he ever got considered as one of the three best quick bowlers in Australia EVER!!

Is Peter George a chance? I know he is still green and considered a future player by selectors, but he keeps taking wickets and is accurate. His figures in the current SS match against TAS are 4/64 and 5/28 (from 16 overs).

Did nothing on a track with a bit in it for the bowlers against the English test lineup in the A Game.

Looked average in his test in India.

Still needs to improve.

Watson
Katich
Ponting
Clarke - If 100% otherwise Usman in.
Hussey
Hughes
Haddin
Hauritz - Far superior to Doherty as a bowler and player.
Siddle - Needs to perform consistently over the next two tests.
Hilfenhaus - Needs a strong performance in Adelaide.
Bollinger

Watson
Katich
Ponting
Clarke - If 100% otherwise Usman in.
Hussey
Hughes
Haddin
Hauritz - Far superior to Doherty as a bowler and player.
Siddle - Needs to perform consistently over the next two tests.
Hilfenhaus - Needs a strong performance in Adelaide.
Bollinger

Regardless of what happens, they can't give players one match then ditch them. What the hell is that saying to prospective test players? They have to stick with Doherty for more than one test. It's not like Graeme Swann was ripping it up in this match. In some ways he was lucky we have North in the team. They made their bed with this one and it would be a real mistreatment of him to send him back already.

Johnson on the other hand...

Any chance of Ferg playing on his home deck?

Need to get rid of North, looked useless, should be able to back our bowlers to get wickets.

Then you need to chose one of Bollinger or Harris to replace Johnson.

North and Johnson out. Khawaja and Bollinger in.

WTF have people got against Hifenhaus? At least he swings the ball. Will be better with Doug coming from the other end as well. I don't think Siddle is a new ball bowler and Hifenhaus is the only one in the team at present.

None of the bowlers performed in the second innings but Johnson was by far the worst. He is terrible and I've been saying this from the start. He's erratic and I would like to know how he ever got considered as one of the three best quick bowlers in Australia EVER!!

Nothing against Hllfenhaus. Good back up bowler but just not dangerous or ever likely to run through a side. Happy to have him in the 12, as he doesn't deserves the "boot" completely, but prefer Harris in the XI and there's no way Siddle is getting dropped. Harris more strings to the bow, to me, more dangerous and is in-form with 15 wickets in his 2 Shield games. Given where we are at present if a bowler is in-form get him in!!!! Bollinger and Harris sounds more dangerous to me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Haurtiz must be feeling fairly down though, i mean i still think he exceeded exceptions in the test arena(based on his first class stats) sure he got belted in india but they pretty much all did and even our greatest ever in warne got belted in india by the same blokes.

You would think somebody who took a few 5 for's last summer would at least get the first test to prove himself.

Especially considering how many chances our seamers like Johnson get.

But you're a right what can be done now?

Doherty was picked to be something he can never be(as was haurtiz) so they have to stick with him as dropping him for yet another unheralded spinner just keeps the cycle going.

Regardless of what happens, they can't give players one match then ditch them. What the hell is that saying to prospective test players? They have to stick with Doherty for more than one test. It's not like Graeme Swann was ripping it up in this match. In some ways he was lucky we have North in the team. They made their bed with this one and it would be a real mistreatment of him to send him back already.

Johnson on the other hand...

They've done it to Hauritz, Casson, Krejza and McGain , why would Doherty be free from this? He shouldn't have been selected to begin with.

Shaun Marsh is playing the other teams on his own at the moment, which no-one else apart from Hodge is doing.

I can't see them considering him and I hope they don't, but it's terrible that none of the prospectives are doing anything useful. Those with the selectors caps won't make a move unless they have to.

Anyone wanting hilf out the side has mental issues.
He is our best swing bowler. He bowls at the same pace if not quicker than Glenn Mcgrath did, and people never called for his head based on pace or 'ability to rip through an order'.
If he pitches the ball up, he will worry most batsmen

slightly from left field but what about Shaun Marsh for North?

has scored 137, 89 and is currently 54* against basically Aus A, in his last 3 knocks in the Sheffield shield

I don't like his temperament, too many times in ODI's I've seen him look fantastic to get to about 15 or 20, then just appear to lose the use of his feet/brain and get out to some stupid waft.

Terrible shame though, as he can be exciting and he is a lovely shotmaker.

Online, they just said he has passed 50 in the last 7 of 8 innings at Sheffield Shield. Strewth he is in form, has he ever had that good a run? Not to mention the ton playing again practically a lone hand in the Ryobi.

No changes to the 13 apart from Harris in, Khawaja out. If Clarke is still moving like an old man come Adelaide, I'll spew.

With SOK not getting a game over Ritz for NSW I can't see him coming in. Also doubt Hauritz offers anything else. I would of actually liked to see O'Keefe come in for Johnson and Ronny Mac for North but with Mcdonald injured that won't be happening. Also find it funny people willing to change the side and then put in players that are unavailable through injury... shows how much they follow the state cricket.

I would like to see:
In: Bollinger
Out: Johnson

See no point in other changes... yes North has struggled but Khawaja has done **** all since he has been talked about and the batting is too weak as it is to risk bringing in SOK or Smith for a batsman. Doherty hasn't bowled any worse than any of our other bowlers and to date no worse than Swann. If Aussie only end up being 1 or 2 down at stumps then its hard to be overly critical of the bowling(except for Johnson) as it shows how flat the wicket was. Remember to date the Aussie bowlers in the 1st innings have been the best in the match.

Likely changes:
Zero

This.

As an England supporter, let's not forget a few things here. The first being that the game ended in a draw. Australia comfortably won days 1 and 3, and broke even on day 2. How on earth is that grounds to consider dropping 3 or 4 players in one test, especially after naming a squad of 17, where the remaining 6 who didn't play in that test have done absolutely nothing?

On the other hand, the second thing to consider is that the game is being played at the Adelaide Oval, arguably the best batting surface in the world. If you can't take twenty wickets here, you can't win here. Australia need to win at least two, probably three tests out of the next four to win the Ashes, so playing a side that can't take twenty wickets here, essentially writes the series off.

As such, you look at the bowlers under the microscope first.

The first thing that you'd have to consider is whether the bowlers are capable of the long spells required at Adelaide, where a first innings score of 450 is probably par. Especially backing up just a few days after from Brisbane, and being belted around the park for two days. You've got Hilfenhaus and Harris with suspect knees, Siddle coming off a stress fracture of the back, and Bollinger not selected in the previous test due to concerns about his ability to last a full five days.

Even looking outside this pack of bowlers, reveals young bowlers who are yet to truly be tested at 4 day level bowling 40 overs+ in Cameron and Copeland, and no real workhorses in significant form.

From this, I'd figure that this adds credence to not only Mitch Johnson's credentials, being the only one reliable to bowl a lot of overs without breaking down, but also Peter George who has those sorts of overs under his belt and the local knowledge.

The next thing to consider is whether to play two spinners or not. Axing Doherty after one game, seems incredibly backward, and damages the credibility of the new selection panel after one game. I would expect Doherty to play on the basis of this alone.

Smith has in his favour that WA play a Shield game at the WACA against Queensland, two days before the third test starts there. By dropping North, the selectors have an out in saying that North was dropped to suit the need to play two spinners and to also give him some chance to get some runs ahead of the third test at the WACA, where, barring Smith making a lot of runs or Doherty having a shocker, would be demoted, given the unlikelyhood of playing two spinners, let alone one at the WACA, and North can come straight back in, if he shows enough against the Bulls. Haddin's current form with the bat would allow Smith to bat at 7, Haddin at 6 also. Will I think it happen? Probably not, but it makes sense based on those reasons, but it would take a Les Burdett pitch that strongly shows a need for two spinners, and form there currently suggests nothing of the sort.

In conclusion, I think the team will be selected on the basis of who is capable of delivering twenty wickets and being able to hold up bowling 75 overs in a test, backing up three days after another one.

As such, I think Johnson will play on the basis of that. I think whichever of Harris or Bollinger appears the most likely to bowl the most overs will play, Bollinger disadvantaged given he has 3 more days to play in a Shield game. I would think Hilf will be rested, given the need to manage him properly. If Harris or Bollinger doesn't pull up, then George will be brought in.

So for mine on the basis of what I think will happen:

Katich
Watson
Ponting
Clarke
Hussey
North (Smith if two spinners present the need)
Haddin
Johnson
Doherty
Siddle
Harris/Bollinger/George
12th: Hilfenhaus

With Doug Bollinger and Ryan Harris being added to the squad, I would drop Mitchell Johnson and Ben Hilfenhauss for Bolinger and Harris.

Ryan Harris is a better bowler than Ben Hilfenhauss whilst Mitchell Johnson should spend some time with Troy Cooley and Michael Holding in the Adelaide Oval nets.

Troy Cooley has been working with Mitchell Johnson since November 2007 and he has not got anywhere since the 2009 ENgland tour when his bowling action went pear shape. Mitchell Johnson failed to take up Wasim Akram's offer in spending time with Wasim. During the 2009 England tour, Wasim Akram wanted to help Mitchell Johnson with his bowling action. Wasim knew the problem and he wanted to fix it.

Did the egos amongst the Australian coaches got in the way?

We can call Mitchell Johnson the younger brother of former Tasmanian left arm fast bowler and Western Australian Chris Matthews.

Ryan Harris is too similar to Peter Siddle.

I think Bollinger for Johnson, and Khwaja/Ferguson for North should be the only changes.

Given the squad they have picked, I'd say Harris and Bollinger in for Johnson and North. If North is only there for his bowling, they might as well pick an actual bowler in his spot.

Clearly our problem is taking 20 wickets, we managed to score plenty of runs without North or Clarke contributing.

Bollinger and Hilfenhaus to open the bowling. If Siddle fires, great. If he doesn't, we can afford to carry him with that attack. I can't see it happening, though. Obviously North is safe, and they feel that Clarke is right to play. Surely Johnson will be dropped. Surely!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back