Prediction Changes Round 17 vs Brisbane

Remove this Banner Ad

Will Schofield said we will lose 2 senior players with 2 coming in. Id gues Darling is one ?

In : Kelly, McGovern, Cole (sub)

Out : Hurn, Shuey, Barnett (???)

No mention of the other Lukes (Foley and Edwards) who were expected back this week. Either they haven’t come up or there’s other injuries

Suspect we might be taking 25 across to Brisbane if it’s only the NGA boys playing WAFL

Hurn you can understand missing against Brisbane, a continuing worry about Shuey's body not holding up if he misses again. You'd have to say it's a huge gamble carrying both blokes into next season.
In just the last week or so both these blokes have had the gall to suggest they want to continue in 2024.

Sure in the context of our current season you can shrug your shoulders about a couple of our older players missing what is our longest road trip but the optics are terrible.

Hurn has played 9 games out of 15 this year. Shuey has played 7. But apparently they've "pulled up sore"? Give me a spell.

We are going into quite literally the Lions den this weekend and our current captain and most recent ex-captain have decided "Nup too hard". Way to set the example fellas. Reckon its now 50-50 the 171 point margin gets beaten.

Hurn and Shuey are both out of contract this season. It should be the two easiest list management decisions the club makes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In just the last week or so both these blokes have had the gall to suggest they want to continue in 2024.

Sure in the context of our current season you can shrug your shoulders about a couple of our older players missing what is our longest road trip but the optics are terrible.

Hurn has played 9 games out of 15 this year. Shuey has played 7. But apparently they've "pulled up sore"? Give me a spell.

We are going into quite literally the Lions den this weekend and our current captain and most recent ex-captain have decided "Nup too hard". Way to set the example fellas. Reckon its now 50-50 the 171 point margin gets beaten.

Hurn and Shuey are both out of contract this season. It should be the two easiest list management decisions the club makes.
If the decision was solely theirs to make, I imagine they'd be playing this week. It's be the medicos/match committee pulling the pin on that idea.

Not that I think they should play on next year either.

Hurn and Shuey out this week pretty much confirms retirement. There is no way you'd sign them for one more year. Nail in the coffee after this.

But the good thing is the sooner both realise this and just come out and say it the better. Then we can all move on and be able to just enjoy the remaining games left with them and a farewell match for both legends. The last thing they and the club needs is them going out sulking about it or begging for another season. Go out with your head held high and hopefully now they realise it. This is the end of two great careers. There is no 2024 for them but that doesn't mean they can't finish off the season in style.

Take Josh Kennedy's last game last season as an example of how to end a career with dignity. That was a great moment for him, the club and us supporters.

Last edited:
Not surprised about Shuey. He absolutely battered himself on the weekend. Threw himself at everything. Anyone would have pulled up sore after that.

Hurn more concerning to me. Happy for Shuey to go on (unless there is another soft tissue) and Hurn pull stumps at year end.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Comes down to who is fit. Assume Edwards, Kelly, Foley and McGovern are all in contention and Darling has a questions mark.

6 day turnaround and a long flight, i would rest Hurn and Shuey, bring in McGovern and sub him out in the 3rd qtr. Barnett back to WAFL

In McGovern, Kelly, Edwards

Out Hurn, Shuey, XO

Foley as the sub.

Think the selectors have been reading my posts. I made this call on Monday. Cole (sub) and Barnett (emergency) to travel.

XO and Foley back through the WAFL

Neither of Shuey nor Hurn can go on next year if this is the case. Can’t carry players on your list that need to be managed every second week.

The more I look at our list the more I'm not so sure of this anymore.

I'd rather get rid of the no-hopers (xon, clark, Trew etc), replace them with talent and keep some of the oldies around to pad out the 22.

It doesn't matter if they take up a few list spots because it's very difficult to develop 20 teenagers at a time and it also doesn't really matter if they don't play a heap because it gives youth opportunity and they don't cost much.

That being said, if we can find cheap best 22 nature players like Hunt, cut away - but in our current predicament, that's no guarantee.

Office Worker: Ever since COVID, we've really embraced "Working From Home" as a way to do business. Luckily, we work in an industry that is suited to this, unlike AFL.

Shuey and Hurn: Hold our beer!

* off mate, absolute clown calling out Shuey for not “setting an example” after his game last week. The man gives this club absolutely everything he has.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back