Preview Changes - Round 5 vs Port Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

Gaff is pretty quick across the ground and has a fair bit of endurance (you have to admit that he does run all day). Doesn't "bulk" remove some of that endurance?
Weight effects endurance. He needs to improve his tone and strength, not increase his weight. He Needs to add Muscle bulk which doesn't necessarily mean higher weight. Currently he is either A) got too high skin folds reducing his tone or B never lifts a thing and has no tone which means reduced strength or C a combination of both.

This will rival Geelong v Hawthorn as game of the round. I'm not reading too much into West Coast's game at the Cattery, because teams win down there about as often as a Collingwood fan has a full set of teeth :) There won't be much more than a couple of goals either way for most of the night.

Of course I'm hoping Port wins, but I also hope it's a classic contest, with no injuries to either side.

Robbie Gray has a history of kicking several goals against us..

I'm not sure he has that great a record against you. As others have mentioned, you probably mean Davenport.

Gray is in really nice touch at the moment. Whilst his goal kicking is a big part of his game he is really underrated as a clearance midfielder. He is our best centre square mid for getting clean ball out.

One of our strengths is the quality hffers that we have. Wingard, Gray, Monfries (normally), Hartlett, White. They can not only be a forward threat, they often rotate through the middle giving our mids a rest (one reason why we seem to have great running power). Whilst they are working as mids they are genuine quality as well, not just stop-gap fill ins whilst guys like Boak, Ebert, Wines, Kornes get a rest.

Your small/med defenders need to really be on their game as its an area of the game we try and expose teams with.

Weight effects endurance. He needs to improve his tone and strength, not increase his weight. He Needs to add Muscle bulk which doesn't necessarily mean higher weight. Currently he is either A) got too high skin folds reducing his tone or B never lifts a thing and has no tone which means reduced strength or C a combination of both.
Thanks Patron

But isn't that in the realm of the strength and conditioning coaches' scope?

Surely it wouldn't go this way:

Coach: "righto Gaff, me ol' mate, time to jump on the bench press bar"
Gaff: " nah mate, don't feel like it"
Coach: "really think you need to bulk up bro."
Gaff: "how about no, you crazy Dutch bas&@rd"

Focus then should be not on Gaff, but the people leading him?

Gaff is pretty quick across the ground and has a fair bit of endurance (you have to admit that he does run all day). Doesn't "bulk" remove some of that endurance?

There is so much mis-information regarding this topic that my head spins when ever i read these forums.

Strength training ( as opposed to heavy weight lifting to increase mass) improves endurance as you strengthen stabilizer muscles which will prevent injury
it also provides better core stabilty, which is what most athletes strive for, so you dont end up looking like the hulk , just ripped and strong.

He is seriously in need of some better advice, but I would say the reason the eagles dont overdo it in the gym is that their list is relatively young so training too hard in the gym can be counter productive for young men ,( young bodies are more prone to tendonitis injuries) where as soon as your in your mid twenties you can really be pushed hard without many side effects , there are exceptions to the rule.........Jack Darling for example is a beast who does'nt need much in this area, Gaff does.

There is so much mis-information regarding this topic that my head spins when ever i read these forums.

Strength training ( as opposed to heavy weight lifting to increase mass) improves endurance as you strengthen stabilizer muscles which will prevent injury
it also provides better core stabilty, which is what most athletes strive for, so you dont end up looking like the hulk , just ripped and strong.

He is seriously in need of some better advice, but I would say the reason the eagles dont overdo it in the gym is that their list is relatively young so training too hard in the gym can be counter productive for young men ,( young bodies are more prone to tendonitis injuries) where as soon as your in your mid twenties you can really be pushed hard without many side effects , there are exceptions to the rule.........Jack Darling for example is a beast who does'nt need much in this area, Gaff does.
Hooray, finally someone that knows wtf they are talking about

Thanks Lucky Luc :)

Tony Notte thread

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Patron

But isn't that in the realm of the strength and conditioning coaches' scope?

Surely it wouldn't go this way:

Coach: "righto Gaff, me ol' mate, time to jump on the bench press bar"
Gaff: " nah mate, don't feel like it"
Coach: "really think you need to bulk up bro."
Gaff: "how about no, you crazy Dutch bas&@rd"

Focus then should be not on Gaff, but the people leading him?
Dunno whats going on internally. But its got to be self motivated to a large extent. When you look at Shuey and masto compared to gaff there's a pretty big gap for similiar sized mids.

Last edited:

Agree with the first bit 100%.

Not sold on the bold. I find it hard to believe that he is being given shoddy advice. We as such a successful club presumably have some of the best strength + conditioning coaches in the biz.

The majority of our side have achieved a good AFL physique, Gaff is a bit of an odd one out. When you look at the state Stevens was in as a young mid before he went to the dogs (I know he was always pretty well developed) it does make it hard to believe that it doesn't come down largely to the individual. I don't believe we hold back due to a players age at all once they enter the AFL they are professional athletes and are expected to shape their bodies accordingly. The first 5 years in the AFL players undergo the greatest change to their physiques so i don't think we hold back due to age and its not like they are lifting professionally or anything and really need to watch out for injuries.

What im trying to say is i would blame the individual before i blame the club. Maybe the kid just hates protein and loves churros.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would imagine the reluctance to stack muscle on Gaff would be due to a reluctance to risk detracting from his main role in the side - being able to run all day and link up play. I'd imagine his training regime would be based around the principle of endurance first, bulk up second. I think if the club wanted him to be a gorilla, he would be by now.

Tackling also is as much about technique and confidence as it is about being strong enough to drag a guy down.

I would imagine the reluctance to stack muscle on Gaff would be due to a reluctance to risk detracting from his main role in the side - being able to run all day and link up play. I'd imagine his training regime would be based around the principle of endurance first, bulk up second. I think if the club wanted him to be a gorilla, he would be by now.

Tackling also is as much about technique and confidence as it is about being strong enough to drag a guy down.
I think most of us understand that endurance is priority for gaff and it should be, given the way he plays, but when you look at his body it is pretty apparent that he could increase strength without increasing weight/bulk.

I think most of us understand that endurance is priority for gaff and it should be, given the way he plays, but when you look at his body it is pretty apparent that he could increase strength without increasing weight/bulk.

Yes. Well that's true of anyone.

I don't know if the individual is to blame as you suggest but their genetics would play a major role. Gaff and Sheppard are two of the biggest ectomorphs at the club since Notte.

Yes. Well that's true of anyone.

I don't know if the individual is to blame as you suggest but their genetics would play a major role. Gaff and Sheppard are two of the biggest ectomorphs at the club since Notte.

Ecto or not, I say we stop making excuses for them. Gaff and Sheppard both.

If they are constantly losing their feet, cannot win a contested ball, get pushed out of a marking contest easily, cannot stick tackles and are often rushed with their disposal in fear of getting hurt.. then they aren't doing the team any favours.

Nobody expects Gaff to "be a gorilla", that's just black and white nonsense. Is Rioli a gorilla? Is Elliot? Gleeson? Jetta? I'm not as worried so much about size as I am about general strength in a contest through the core. Stephen Hill is another one, he's added something like 9kg's since he's come to Freo and hasn't lost any of his endurance. Look at what Fyfe's done with his body.

Hardening your body to absorb the physicality of playing in the AFL, doesn't mean Gaff is going to look like Josh Hunt, aka "Roidz"

Remove this Banner Ad

Back