Preview Changes v Demons, Round 2 (upgraded to official preview)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Preview Changes v Demons, Round 2 (upgraded to official preview):straining:

My humblest apologies for the pitiful standard of the preview in the OP.

Nothing radical with the selections.

Zorko an automatic selection still so Tunstill a slightly unfortunate drop. Need the 2 rucks to cope against Melbourne. Apologies Joyce, I am unfamiliar with your game. Attitude will be more important than selection I think.

Takes me back to JB's bake for the side after the Geelong loss, on Rich:

“It’s alright when he’s got the footy and he looks beautiful because he’s a great kick. “But time and time and time again you’ll see that from Daniel Rich having no interest in joining in on team defence.”

On forward line pressure (my personal gripe):

“They’ve got a forward line that they’re all goals kickers. You look at the other top teams, they’ve got three or four half forwards who can get up and down and help your turnover game,” he said.

And on our overall fitness profile:

“We know, if you’re in the bottom three or four teams in the competition at running ability, that ain’t going to get it done in the last fortnight of a season,” he said. “They might not like hearing that, but that’s just the reality of it. The modern game, the top teams, they’ve all got really good runners across the board – especially from their half forwards.”

I don't see how any of our admittedly talented recruits help us with any of these issues (unless McKenna replaces Rich), and to be honest the Port game reeked of all these criticisms.

Thats why I think its been better when Ah Chee has played as a forward. Basically the only one that plays a defensive role and does the team things. But then people soon about him not getting enough touches

Thats why I think its been better when Ah Chee has played as a forward. Basically the only one that plays a defensive role and does the team things. But then people soon about him not getting enough touches
I've been on about this for 2 years. Every time he plays forward our forward line looks better balanced and goes better.

Maybe it's some flukey coincidence or maybe we're just better off with a forward or two totally focused on locking it in and helping the others rather than trying to be heroes.

I know why we wanted to bring in the extra ruck and tall, but damn dropping 4 running players and mids after getting exposed so badly for running is a little head scratching.

Also again its the same young mids who are mostly getting played out of position getting dropped again. They get misused in the game plan in nonprefered positions. I start to suspect they should look at their options end of year

I know why we wanted to bring in the extra ruck and tall, but damn dropping 4 running players and mids after getting exposed so badly for running is a little head scratching.

Also again its the same young mids who are mostly getting played out of position getting dropped again. They get misused in the game plan in nonprefered positions. I start to suspect they should look at their options end of year
Dev will.

Third round pick coming back from West Coast (they have two, so it’ll be the worst of the two).

Goes to show you how good our planning was . Picking blokes for game 1 then game 2 they’re not good enough . 100 % on Ah chee would also be a great defensive option for winger and play Clugga on other . Except people seem to care about how many possessions and dream team stats they get . Ah chee is 100 % team orientated player .

Goes to show you how good our planning was . Picking blokes for game 1 then game 2 they’re not good enough . 100 % on Ah chee would also be a great defensive option for winger and play Clugga on other . Except people seem to care about how many possessions and dream team stats they get . Ah chee is 100 % team orientated player .
Personally I think that they are just picking a team that they believe
has the best possibility of winning the game.

Dev will.

Third round pick coming back from West Coast (they have two, so it’ll be the worst of the two).
I wouldn't blame him at this point. I think we might be starting to have a pattern of ruining young mids by trying to play them clearly out of position (mostly on the wing)

Once again the young lads are dropped, when the senior players underperform just as badly.
I'd have thought the reason why is obvious. If all player's output is down by 15%, what the senior player offer is always going to be more.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not too bothered losing Dev. He hasn't come on. Even Matho offers more

Prime example of our poor drafting
I really want him to be good. Everyone does.

He just doesn't seem to have the level of physicality required for what we'd like him to do. He's not a winger in any sense. But as an i/s mid just isn't imposing enough.

I really want him to be good. Everyone does.

He just doesn't seem to have the level of physicality required for what we'd like him to do. He's not a winger in any sense. But as an i/s mid just isn't imposing enough.

Devs only really there to keep Prior happy, best mates and all. ;)

But I can't personally see a long career with us at least, still got Lohman and Fletcher to fit in after all.

show our wingers the footage of hollands playing tonight, so many efforts to push back into d50 and give the backline the help it needs
Carlton playing two 19 year old second gamers. One on the wing and one at half back. Hollands still very light weight.

How can you rate him, no one’s ever seen him play. Look ok, he looks like an Adonis, but gee Round 2 and you’re calling on a rookie to take on a top 2 team. I hope like everyone else here he plays a blinder. But gee… Round 2 and we are praying on a rookie to save us.
I agree with you re Joyce - i mean he was delisted by Saints and hes already been called up - we obviosuly need another KPD but i wont be holding my breathe and Fullarton was our only other option so in some respects i get it whilst Froggy is out, but i dont like it. I did hear Brad Johnson say last week that Lions shouldve kept the extra list space and had a free hit at the mid season trade or draft period - cant remember what's it called and the fact we forgave that for Joyce after the way Johnson explained it , makes me more disappointed about taking Joyce. Hope he gos well but like playing Tunstill against Dees on debut last year, this has disaster written all over it.

Im wrapt Zorks is back but feel like the usual players are the scapegoats when Linc is consistently poor and again Fages makes no statement at the selection table - although i agree Tunstill should have been dropped.

Feel like the coaches are treating this game as a positional training drill with the side picked. Knowing we will get flogged but hoping for glimpses…need to fix the root cause and drop Joe, McCarthy and Rich. They did nothing without the ball - it was abhorrent. Keep Robertson, Prior. Zorko and Wilmot with the kick ins.

show our wingers the footage of hollands playing tonight, so many efforts to push back into d50 and give the backline the help it needs
is he the second gamer?

Something seriously wrong with our players if they need to watch a second gamer for tips - i take your point tho

On another note - apparently May didnt fly up to Brisbane with the rest of the squad today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back