Preview Changes v Demons, Round 2 (upgraded to official preview)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reasonable changes.
Robertson, Tunstill and last weeks sub Prior did not do enough.
One may get the sub spot anyhow.
A bit surprised Lyons did not get a call up. Maybe he is pulling up a bit sore after games and training.

I have no faith in Joyce yet. Having said that i hope he has a blinder and proves me very wrong.
Would have Fullarton as the sub in case Joyce does not work out.

Joyce in for suspended Coleman.
Zorko in for Tunstall
Fort in for Robertson
Can’t imagine we go with another tall as the sub.
It will be a running player imo

As usual i doubt the players positions as named, will be how they line up.

Still will be interested on who plays wing other than Berry.
That will be the first thing i look for before the first bounce from my new seating position.

Joyce is playing so no point having him on the bench to start the game.
Either we want 3 talls in defense or we don't.

I think it is a well balanced team for who we are playing
We’ve gone in with an extra tall, compared to Melbourne.

Basically we’ll be playing like the Dogs last week, with three talls up forward all the time.

It’s going to put a real onus on our small forwards and mids to really run all game long. Something we’re really not noted for.

Especially when you include Rayner and Rich in the team.

Basically we’ll be playing like the Dogs last week, with three talls up forward all the time.

It’s going to put a real onus on our small forwards and mids to really run all game long. Something we’re really not noted for.

Given a need to keep their 3 tall backs busy I don't mind it

Good changes. Robertson is not a wingman and Tunstill is not ready.

Joyce is the right pick for the backline and would play him in lieu of Rayner down back. Zorko off the half back. Rayner back in as a mid/fwd and play Berry and Ashcroft on the wings.

The onus absolutely should be on the smalls and mids to run all day long. They need to deliver after last week's pathetic display. Their fate is in their hands.

As usual i doubt the players positions as named, will be how they line up.

Still will be interested on who plays wing other than Berry.
That will be the first thing i look for before the first bounce from my new seating position.

Joyce is playing so no point having him on the bench to start the game.
Either we want 3 talls in defense or we don't.
Looking at the team, you have Joyce as the third tall in defence, and I’d be pushing Wilmot back as the defender on the bench.

Berry and Ashcroft as the main wingers. Zorko, Bailey and Rayner rotating up forward and through the midfield.

We’re playing two rucks, so both should be spending a fair amount of time rotating as the deepest forward.

Having three tall forwards on the ground at all times also puts the onus on one of them getting up the wing a fair bit.

The only difference to our regular/preferred line up is a second ruck.
And against Melbourne I do t think that is a bad thing.
Joyce will be able to play tall and small and if Starce plays a more lockdown role on Fritch it will leave Joyce to play on a smaller player or to play as a spare.

I'd put Clugga on the wing and keep Ashcroft inside.

I reckon they could rotate. Just weary of how much pressure we want to put on Ashcroft at this level. It's a lot to ask.

We dropped two “wingers”, for two talls, and brought in a mid forward for a small defender.

So a team that has a problem running, losses two running players, and adds two non runners.

We look suspiciously like the Dogs this week.
Yes I was a tad worried about tomorrow night, now even more so, we better come with our running shoes on or it could become embarrassing for us, Melbourne are a seriously elite running side.

No surprise as Fort comes in for their twin towers.

Surprised Wilmot made it, will be gun but too light bodied atm.

Great to see Joyce get a run early, need to settle the backs asap.

Rich should be sub.

Prior and Dev should be playing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Looking at the team, you have Joyce as the third tall in defence, and I’d be pushing Wilmot back as the defender on the bench.

Berry and Ashcroft as the main wingers. Zorko, Bailey and Rayner rotating up forward and through the midfield.

We’re playing two rucks, so both should be spending a fair amount of time rotating as the deepest forward.

Having three tall forwards on the ground at all times also puts the onus on one of them getting up the wing a fair bit.
Hipwood and Daniher to take turns and lead to wing. Oscar or Fort play out of goal square.

This was something that in our best season with McCluggage and Robinson on the wings we had the balance right. Clug would stream forward and Robbo would sit as that defensive sweeper. Not sure where that structure has gone though.

We might run the same structure but I don’t think anyone is giving 100% into the defensive sweeper role like Robbo did. We could always count on him to make bodies fly at the very least.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Don't see we had much choice with the changes. Fort has been good whenever the pressure has been on and he has a bit of versatility. Not sold on Joyce only because I have no idea about him but there's only one way to find out. It's up to all of our mids/smalls who didn't turn up last week to run their guts out to give us a chance. Likewise our tall forwards need to work a lot harder than what we saw in that game.

Only watched the from the start of the 2nd quarter but it is a delight to see Saad and Tuohy showing urgency with their kick ins, not strolling around waiting for the opposition to get set. I hope Richy is watching and taking notes.

We spend an entire pre-season deciding we need more run and pick a side accordingly for round 1.
Side is smashed because essentially it doesn’t try.
Now we put not 1 but 2 talls back in?!
Seems like panic stations.
We now have 8 talls…

Bit harsh on Dev, he was alright I thought. Honestly would have liked to see Lyons as the sub; hopefully Dev gets that role. Fort and Joyce make sense.

I think Dev is a midfielder who can rotate to a wing, not a full time wing.

Berry, Clugg and Ashcroft sharing the wings and moving Rayner up around the ball works better for me. Still think Ah Chee will be back in when fit.

We were always going to play the 2 rucks. Would be very surprised if most, if not all teams don’t play the 2 out and out ruckman against Melbourne this year.

We also got shown up last week for being to small down back and Melbourne are quite a tall team as well so Joyce makes sense.

I don’t think we’ll win, Melbourne at their best are just a better football team but we won’t lose as a result of selections I don’t think.

I think Dev is a midfielder who can rotate to a wing, not a full time wing.

Berry, Clugg and Ashcroft sharing the wings and moving Rayner up around the ball works better for me. Still think Ah Chee will be back in when fit.
Yeah, I'm not real convinced by how we're using our wings atm, and it's not going to be Dev's best role. Still, I think he made an honest effort last week.

I guess if we wind up using Wilmot/Clug more on the wings this week I'll be happy with that.

Once again the young lads are dropped, when the senior players underperform just as badly.

I don't see us lining up as per program. Zorks fwd, Clugg wing, for a start I'd say. I think we're a bit soft in the middle, Dunkley and an underdone Berry the only bigger, defensive minded mids. Clugg, Neale, Ashcroft n Bailey, they hardly strike fear defensively. At least Dev gets in and does the tough stuff when inside. Maybe Rayner gets in there and throws his body about.

I'm keen to see how Joyce goes. Not confident but hopeful. 2 rucks, 3 tall fwds and 3 tall defenders, is it too many talls? I think maybe so, at the cost of a inside mid maybe (Dev)?

Hope we've taken our attitude pills with a cup of cement and things are very different.

I didn't think we'd win this when I was buoyant about the team preseason. I still don't think we'll win but for God sake I hope we at least remember the game plan and have a real crack.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back