Preview Changes v Demons, Round 2 (upgraded to official preview)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Biologically and in reality I am a fading, skinny, bald 63 year old privileged white male, in my dreams I am a 23 year old behemoth stud in their prime and playing for the Lions tomorrow night where I get 35 touches, 10 tackles, 4 goals in a monster win.
grins ... know that one!

Do you also bat/bowl for Australia watching the cricket and play for the Maroons watching SoO?

I believe that could be called 'mental exercise'**

** in the same way that Raspberry Pepsi is a fruit and Chicken Twisties is a protein...

I call out casual sexism whenever I see it. It's our obligation and duty to do so and anyone who indulges in casual sexism , whatever form it takes or whatever it is deserves to be called out and brought to account for their warped viewpoints. And made to change so there is no longer any casual sexism in the world.

Wasn't around when Tarzan and Jane were but I'm sure Jane would be outraged to see her image portrayed as a 6'5 ,stacked and built athletic adonis looking young man. After all she was a woman (I think ) who may have appreciated her feminine qualities. Not that anyone is suggesting she or Payne couldn't play like Tarzan if they wanted too. Maybe saying play like Jane is a compliment because not for one moment would I suggest that she couldn't play like Tarzan.

As far as Payne goes I think he'll prove tough enough once he gets a few more games under his belt.

Sorry but where the * does this theory that Payne isn't tough come from?

Sure he needs to use his body better but what do people want him to do?

Sorry but where the * does this theory that Payne isn't tough come from?

Sure he needs to use his body better but what do people want him to do?
It comes from a few posters on BF who think he doesn't get close enough to his opponent and because of his build he should be physically intimidating opponents which ( apparently ) he is meant to do and doesn't.

My personal view is that he's plenty physical enough when he needs to be but is just learning the game and focused on playing his role.

Max Gawn on triple MMM saying that the Lions are one of their main rivals, looking to get something back from the final loss, he expects Fritsch, Salem, Viney and May to all play.

I find myself yelling at the tv and at the footy on many occasions at the Chief ‘get some body on him Harris’!
So many occasions on Saturday where he just let Charlie get an easy run and jump at the ball by not getting early body on him.
It infuriates me, no end!
Payne is not as bad as Harris in that respect.
Payne will get out led, but in a contest he is actually a pretty good defender.
Where as Harris will stand a metre away from his opponent and give him and easy 3mtr run and jump at the ball turning what should be a contested marking attempt into a non contested mark.

Montagna saying on 360 maybe we got too much talent and not enough role players everyone wants to be a star. Look at days of west coast . People loved to Bag Rowan Jones and say how crap he was but you know what he did he blocked for guys like Judd and Cousins to have space something I don’t see out midfield preparer to do .
I love this, I would extend it to our forwards as well though, it appears they all think they should be the #1 marking target and shouldn't make room for other forwards to lead into, on top of that on all too often occasions our small forwards (most of who admittedly have pretty good leaps) think they need to go up for the marking contest rather than staying down for the crumb when the ball inevitably hits it.

I find myself yelling at the tv and at the footy on many occasions at the Chief ‘get some body on him Harris’!
So many occasions on Saturday where he just let Charlie get an easy run and jump at the ball by not getting early body on him.
Where as Harris will stand a metre away from his opponent and give him and easy 3mtr run and jump at the ball turning what should be a contested marking attempt into a non contested mark.
Harris was a better player and reacting quicker when he gave opponents some space 3 or 4 years ago. He'd always manage to get a fist in somewhere and likewise read the play better and ended up in the right spot more often. That capacity seems to have deserted him somewhat and he just gave up on Dixon a few times on Saturday when he was too far out of position to make an impact and gave Charlie a free run at the ball.

Interesting discussion of players who are willing to sacrifice their own game and take on a "lesser" role for the betterment of the team, I think we have a few that are willing to do that ie. Dev Robertson, Jarrod Berry, Noah Answerth, Ryan Lester. Not sure if that is enough.
Those guys aren't played in a position where they can really do that though. I would chuck up Starce as well as someone who would do that.
If Bez had good shoulders he would be the guy to do that for us, Dunkley is certainly defense minded so I think that will be a help, Dev though still a bit unproven will do those things for us without a doubt.

I used to play on the ball when I was growing up. 6 of my teammates made the state team when we hit 15, I didn't and although I wanted to play on the ball, I never completely understood why I lined up there every game. Don't get me wrong I wasn't really any worse, just not quite as polished . I have just realised that while we had a lot of stars, I was the one who would sacrifice my game to help the team. It was about the balance for the team. Sorry for the reminiscing but your and the one above yours literally just made me put that together. Now I look back I actually played a lot differently when I played for the school or my other junior team. Weird that a random post on the internet would make me understand something that I have been wondering about for years.

Yeah you are absolutely right about the finals. I wonder what that says about some of his other games last year. Not desperate enough any more? Allowed to coast by coaches? I have never doubted his attack on the ball. But it seems to me he has become lazy with his positioning and running.
I really don’t see the point in him taking kick-ins if all he does is bomb it long. And he does look around for an option so clearly he’s allowed to go short. Doesn’t seem willing to pull the trigger any more.
It’s funny the stat showing how many metres gained he had. All it showed to me is he bombed it long every single time…
FWIW, I did read that the meters gained also included the back to back 50's + the kick for goal. Not sure if that is correct though.

Coleman out will hurt us offensively but it should be an opportunity to put a more defensively minded player in against a strong Demons outfit. Coleman and Rich are probably the two worst defensive players we have IMO.
Perhaps just as importantly, I am never confident that going into a 50/50 contest either of them is coming out with the ball. IMO all defenders need to be contested beasts. Coleman is still in my best 22 btw, but I am not sure giving both him and rich license to be attacking can work in the same team.

grins ... know that one!

Do you also bat/bowl for Australia watching the cricket and play for the Maroons watching SoO?

I believe that could be called 'mental exercise'**

** in the same way that Raspberry Pepsi is a fruit and Chicken Twisties is a protein...
And Pizza is health food.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just watched Fage's latest presser. I liked seeing him get testy with the media in regards to them trying to turn this game into a grudge match. I think he's absolutely right in that it doesn't matter who we're playing - we simply have to respond after the shellacking last week.

payne has serious wheels, as his defender craft develops i cant see many forwards he is likely to be matched up on being able to burst away from him. think he recorded the fastest burst of speed of any player on ground in the match against port.

Perhaps just as importantly, I am never confident that going into a 50/50 contest either of them is coming out with the ball. IMO all defenders need to be contested beasts. Coleman is still in my best 22 btw, but I am not sure giving both him and rich license to be attacking can work in the same team.
Agree, you look at the competitions best defences and they do not have two unaccountable backmen like we do. In fact, many don't have any players like Rich who is poor defensively with no leg speed. A couple of the top teams have some defenders who are average kicks but they are more accountable than our guys. Makes me wonder why we have this setup to be honest.

Just watched Fage's latest presser. I liked seeing him get testy with the media in regards to them trying to turn this game into a grudge match. I think he's absolutely right in that it doesn't matter who we're playing - we simply have to respond after the shellacking last week.
Loved it 😍
I especially loved the way that he has certainly put it on the players to respond and by saying that we could have trained them for 3 weeks to re-learn the game plan after that performance.
Basically saying that they didn’t do anything they have trained to do and they need to fix it quick.

Anyone else a little wary of seeing Zorko as the answer to our pressure issues? He's well and truly into his twilight years now, deep into the 30s and injuries are becoming the norm for him...this really is when players like Bailey should be stepping up and being gamebreakers but it never seems to click.

Anyone else a little wary of seeing Zorko as the answer to our pressure issues? He's well and truly into his twilight years now, deep into the 30s and injuries are becoming the norm for him...this really is when players like Bailey should be stepping up and being gamebreakers but it never seems to click.

His pressure won him a B&F in 2021 but was poor last year

Agree, you look at the competitions best defences and they do not have two unaccountable backmen like we do. In fact, many don't have any players like Rich who is poor defensively with no leg speed. A couple of the top teams have some defenders who are average kicks but they are more accountable than our guys. Makes me wonder why we have this setup to be honest.

Takes me back to JB's bake for the side after the Geelong loss, on Rich:

“It’s alright when he’s got the footy and he looks beautiful because he’s a great kick. “But time and time and time again you’ll see that from Daniel Rich having no interest in joining in on team defence.”

On forward line pressure (my personal gripe):

“They’ve got a forward line that they’re all goals kickers. You look at the other top teams, they’ve got three or four half forwards who can get up and down and help your turnover game,” he said.

And on our overall fitness profile:

“We know, if you’re in the bottom three or four teams in the competition at running ability, that ain’t going to get it done in the last fortnight of a season,” he said. “They might not like hearing that, but that’s just the reality of it. The modern game, the top teams, they’ve all got really good runners across the board – especially from their half forwards.”

I don't see how any of our admittedly talented recruits help us with any of these issues (unless McKenna replaces Rich), and to be honest the Port game reeked of all these criticisms.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back