Opinion Changes vs Brisbane

Remove this Banner Ad

A few showers clearing in the morning doesn't equal a wet slog. And let's say it is going to be wet, how do those conditions suit Sam Gray? In these days of pristine playing surfaces, in wet conditions it's usually the more skilled players who raise their game above all others. Maybe on the quagmire dung heaps of the 70's and 80's it might have suited Sam Gray's "slam it on the boot upfield as far as you can" style, but not anymore.
I still think wet football is about yards gained.

Rotate Howard, Trengove and Hoff in the centre ruck. Rotate each in ball ups and throw ins depending on field position. Dixon can also ruck in the forward 50. I really like this flexibility, it makes sense to me.
Give Jacko a hit up forward as well.

I think Trengove in the ruck may spark him into some form and maybe even show a whole new element to his game (not just relief rucking).

Further to this, I think Westhoff and Dixon should get early spells in the ruck as well, just to get their hands on the footy and get into the game.

We definitely swapped the rucks around in the first quarter against Richmond, so maybe this is a tactic they're already employing.

I'm intrigued to see who comes out of the side.

Trengove is a better option in the ruck and probably not essential down back for the next two weeks. So Howard not necessarily needed as a ruckman.

Can't see Toumpas, Krak or DBJ getting dropped. Amon probably won't come in. Really comes down to Howard, Stewart and Gray. I suspect Stewart will get the nod because of his versatility. I would prefer Howard as I think we might be able to stretch the Lions and Blues defences. Also back him in and give him some confidence!

In a weird way I'd be more comfortable playing Hawthorn this week than Brisbane.
I don't know, Hawthorn will be pretty pissed after getting rekt'd by the GWS, I think they'll come out breathing fire tomorrow.
#PrayForDimma

....Trengove is a better option in the ruck ...
I suspect Stewart will get the nod because of his versatility. I would prefer Howard as I think we might be able to stretch the Lions and Blues defences. Also back him in and give him some confidence!
Jacko hasn't been in the greatest of form, and apart from a couple of cameos, what do we really know about his rucking?
Would be a shame to drop Dougal. Need to give him a few games in a row to come up to speed and gain confidence. I think he'll end up a very good forward & pinch-hitting ruckman.

Trengove is twice the ruckman Dougal is, and I love Dougal. The kid hasn't even rucked at all until this pre-season. Trengove has turned games pinch hitting in the ruck. I always thought he should play the role more prominently because his career is flagging badly in defence. He needs to reinvent himself and this is the perfect way to do it.

Dougal is not ready, everyone can see that. He did well around the ground against Richmond but he got like 4 hitouts for the day as our primary ruck. (Lol our midfield had one of its better performances for the year winning no hitouts at all, poor Lobbe) That said, I'm not at all opposed to keeping him in if conditions suit, but I'm expecting a straight swap for trengove.

Trengove is twice the ruckman Dougal is, and I love Dougal. The kid hasn't even rucked at all until this pre-season. Trengove has turned games pinch hitting in the ruck. I always thought he should play the role more prominently because his career is flagging badly in defence. He needs to reinvent himself and this is the perfect way to do it.

Dougal is not ready, everyone can see that. He did well around the ground against Richmond but he got like 4 hitouts for the day as our primary ruck. (Lol our midfield had one of its better performances for the year winning no hitouts at all, poor Lobbe) That said, I'm not at all opposed to keeping him in if conditions suit, but I'm expecting a straight swap for trengove.
Twice the ruck, yer nah.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Twice the ruck, yer nah.

Good rebuttal, guy. Howard has had 12 hitouts in two games as effectively a fulltime ruckman. That's rubbish in every sense of the word. Especially since half his second game was going up against Hampson who would be one of the worst rucks in the league.

Trengove will win 12 hitouts against Martin and more.

This isn't gridiron.
While I agree with your sentiment, gaining and holding territory has come back into the game in recent years. Look at the way all sides will look to press to try to lock the ball in and get repeat F50 entries. Particularly with the way we are trying to play this year it would be beneficial in the wet to go long over the forwards heads and look to take advantage of any skill errors to hold territory, rather for example than to push the risky short/medium kicks into the corridor.

Like many I'd really like to see Trengove take up more of the ruck work. He's shown in the past that he can be influential there. Long term he needs to add that flexibility. He's not adding enough run or skill at the back to always demand a spot for mine - despite his undoubted value defensively.

Yay Chad.:hearts:

Good rebuttal, guy. Howard has had 12 hitouts in two games as effectively a fulltime ruckman. That's rubbish in every sense of the word. Especially since half his second game was going up against Hampson who would be one of the worst rucks in the league.

Trengove will win 12 hitouts against Martin and more.
Thanks guy, Howard has played 2 games. How many games has Trengove rucked on his own for the majority of the game? You probably remember that game against Freo where he played one quarter, great basis for an opinion. Show me any evidence of Trengove being twice the ruckman as Howard...can you? I think you are talking crap, but happy to be corrected.

Thanks guy, Howard has played 2 games. How many games has Trengove rucked on his own for the majority of the game? You probably remember that game against Freo where he played one quarter, great basis for an opinion. Show me any evidence of Trengove being twice the ruckman as Howard...can you? I think you are talking crap, but happy to be corrected.

Hi Friend, from memory not many times Jackson has solo rucked however he has shown he can dominate passages which doogz has not. At least with Trengove ruck he is developed and being capable of running out games with a continual input over 4 quarters. Not bagging dougz because it's impossible to solo ruck at 19.

Hi Friend, from memory not many times Jackson has solo rucked however he has shown he can dominate passages which doogz has not. At least with Trengove ruck he is developed and being capable of running out games with a continual input over 4 quarters. Not bagging dougz because it's impossible to solo ruck at 19.
Yep cool, agree with all of this. Hope they get to play together this week. Could be a good complimentary pair with one better forward and one better back. I have faith in Doogs, tough to dominate after only two games and at 19, but looks like a goer. Only time will tell.

I just don't like a Trengove plus Jonas backline anymore.

But we need Jackson to ruck, I think TJ is a solid backmen but is it enough these days just to spoil the ball? I don't know, the game to me has evolved past that.

I will leave it up to the experts but I did enjoy our more mobile backline and more assured kickers/ decision makers back there.

Can't see Amon coming into the team, I don't think we've worked out his best position in the AFL yet.

Good comments re Dougal. Clearly he is not ready and we should see this year is an introduction to AFL football. I am not convinced Dougal is a ruckman and nothing I have seen thus far changes that. I looked at the replay and he was ineffectual in ruck and did not do that well around the ground against Richmond but that is part of the learning curve and to be expected.

I am not sure that all of our supporters realise that Dougal is not yet ready as many appear to be letting their hopes cloud the reality of the situation. Dougal is at least twelve months away from becoming an AFL regular and we should expect him to alternate between the SANFL and AFL for this year at least. I will be happy if Dougal shows improvement in his ability to read the play and put himself in a position to contest the aerial stuff around the ground. He has a good pair of hands and is athletic enough but he has to get to the contest more often.

If Dougal does not play this week it will not be the end of the world but another step in his development.

No s**t Sherlock, its still the way yo play wet weather football.

Maybe if the forecast was for 2 inches of monsoonal rain during the actual game. But you, like many, are going overboard over a forecast that says "the chance of rain, easing to showers during the morning". The game is at 4.10. "No s**t, Sherlock!!".

Remove this Banner Ad

Back