Preview Changes vs Hawthorn Round 19

Remove this Banner Ad

He was bad and it wasn't just the missed shot. Although that certainly made it a lot worse

There was an effort on the wing where he should have either kicked it off the ground or grabbed it and taken the body contact so it would go out of bounds. Yet he took the worse option possible and just overran the ball, it got turned over and a goal resulted. Was furious.

Last edited:
Lamb should definitely be the swap for Hill, 2 4 goal performances in a row demands a senior recall, and apparently he kicked the sealer for east perth this weekend which means he can keep cool under pressure. Could be very handy, even if he only kicks one or 2, considering he probably offers a lot more around the ground than hill.

Lamb should definitely be the swap for Hill, 2 4 goal performances in a row demands a senior recall, and apparently he kicked the sealer for east perth this weekend which means he can keep cool under pressure. Could be very handy, even if he only kicks one or 2, considering he probably offers a lot more around the ground than hill.

I'm not completely against Lamb coming in, but two four goal performances doesn't "demand" a recall. Particular in a game against the reigning premier.

There was an effort on the wing where he should have either kicked it off the group or grabbed it and taken the body contact so it would go out of bounds. Yet he took the worse option possible and just overran the ball, it got turned over and a goal resulted. Was furious.

Remember that clearly ... it was a bollock's effort. I commented in the gameday thread that it was as weak as ...
I too was furious with that. Don't want to see him in the team this week, not even as sub.

I'm not completely against Lamb coming in, but two four goal performances doesn't "demand" a recall. Particular in a game against the reigning premier.
Normally I'd agree with you, but the way that Hill is playing at the moment makes me allow an exception.
the options as it stands are:
1. Leave an either injured or horribly out of form Hill in the side, who has kicked 6 goals in the last 8 weeks, after kicking 20 goals in his first 7 games. He's also gone from averaging almost 14 disposals, almost 4 tackles, before round 12, to averaging 10 disposals (6 and 8 this week and the week before respectively) and 1 tackle. He could definitely do with a spell, to either recover from whatever injury he is suffering if he is, or to let him know he needs to find that early season form he had in the seconds, rather than against hawthorn and fremantle.
2. Bring in Newman, who hasn't exactly been setting the WAFL on fire, hasn't kicked a goal for a few weeks
OR
3. Bring in Lamb, who is definitely inexperienced, but is playing very well in the WAFL since returning from injury, and is definitely in better form than both Hill and Newman at the moment. Even if he doesn't kick 4 goals against the hawks, which he won't he still may kick 1 or 2, and will definitely offer more than Hill will at this stage, and based on form, Newman as well.

Definitely a risk, but it's a risk i'd be willing to take given the context.

I know Hill hasn't been setting the world on fire, but I'd trust him to fit into the defensive web over the course of a full match better than Lamb would. As far as I can tell Hill has been running to the right areas (albeit not quickly enough and not doing anything once he's there). Not opposed to the swap, it'd be great to see Lamb rewarded for good form and what he can do against a good side. We've done so well to blood the kids this year, which I am more happy about than the ladder position.

Selwood and Hutch have been serviceable rotating through the sub role, but whichever has played onfield has stunk it up bad. We just don't have the depth to replace them on field, unless Butler can run through the middle for most of the game. I hope he can and they bring Butman in, but they're definitely being cautious with him for a reason.

McGovern back in for Barrass, but I see minimal changes. Same as earlier in the year when we choked, Simmo backed in the group and in a show of faith they rebounded. In Simmo we trust! :D

Lamb/Newman for Hill surely
Hill has been soft as butter the past few weeks. :(

Hill copped a heavy knock to the shoulder but has played on. I see Hill as a really good player when he's getting games but needs to be fresh meaning not playing sore / injured. Give him at least a week off to freshen up, no WAFL just freshen up.

Bring in a Newman as the creative defensive forward. Like for like.

Do we risk McGovern v the Hawks or give him another week until Freo?

Unless others are sore / injured. I have a feeling Cripps is sore and has been for a couple of weeks.

In: Newman, Butler + Lamb.

Out: Hutchings(Omitted), (Hill + Cripps - both general soreness).

Scooter in and Lamb to sub.

I would not leave out both Cripps and Hill, only one we need some firepower to score. Is McGovern ready? If not 100% no need to risk him I know its Hawthorn but you don't want to play half fit players it will be a disaster. If the Gov is not fit jack gunston will have a field day and he is red hot form.

I would not leave out both Cripps and Hill, only one we need some firepower to score. Is McGovern ready? If not 100% no need to risk him I know its Hawthorn but you don't want to play half fit players it will be a disaster. If the Gov is not fit jack gunston will have a field day and he is red hot form.

The Gov has been given permission to train this week, so we will see how he pulls up from that, i guess.

The Gov has been given permission to train this week, so we will see how he pulls up from that, i guess.
Yeah, I hope he plays to but if we finish off our good work inside fifty and put scoreboard pressure, that is the best form of defence it would have worked a treat on Sat except we missed shots.

If Hill doesn't get up then surely McGinnity comes in (I'm not even joking)
Barrass out for McGovern

Would be good to fit Butler in somewhere too (Hutchings probably)

Last edited:
Remember that clearly ... it was a bollock's effort. I commented in the gameday thread that it was as weak as ...
I too was furious with that. Don't want to see him in the team this week, not even as sub.

I'm usually pretty pensive these days watching the football but I found myself yelling at the tv after seeing that. It was just so bad.

The point in leaving out Hill and Cripps is because IMO they aren't 100% fit.

Bring in Butler and play Ellis as a defensive forward. Has the skill and brains to set up or kick a couple. Ellis would have a pretty good idea how the Hawks move the ball out of defense and would be a good 'general' across half forward / midfield instead of down back.

I'd like to say Wellingham but he doesn't seem to have the mental toughness to play defensively as a forward.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

McGinnity is the guy demanding a call up more than anyone else. Newmans done nothing to warrant selection. I'd prefer an in form Hill of course, but McGinnity was one of the few eagle players to stand up and be counted during the 2012 finals series. Plus, our forward line pressure was s**t against the Suns. I could see him doing ok.

McGinnity is the guy demanding a call up more than anyone else. Newmans done nothing to warrant selection. I'd prefer an in form Hill of course, but McGinnity was one of the few eagle players to stand up and be counted during the 2012 finals series. Plus, our forward line pressure was s**t against the Suns. I could see him doing ok.

Judging from Schofield's interview, they are itching to play the big boys. If we bring the same first half intensity from the Swans game, we will beat both Hawks and Freo. The only question is can we bring it from the start and maintain it for 8 quarters of football as both teams only need a quarter or two to take the game away from us..

Remove this Banner Ad

Back