Player Watch Charlie Dixon

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been in the Get Dixon For First Rounder camp since the idea was floated, but I've changing my thinking.

Assuming that this season is an anomaly in regards to our ladder position, we're not going to get this high a draft pick for a while so it needs to be spent wisely.

I've been in the Get Dixon For First Rounder camp since the idea was floated, but I've changing my thinking.

Assuming that this season is an anomaly in regards to our ladder position, we're not going to get this high a draft pick for a while so it needs to be spent wisely.
images

Yep. We're also lucky that the AFL have opened up future pick trading at this critical time. We have a chance to get a top 10 pick in to really top off our young group of Polec, Wingard and Wines. We need to take that. What we do with next year's picks is far less critical. I'd absolutely be hoping we can give up next year's 1st pick for Dixon with just a little extra value as it'd suit our list development perfectly.

Pick 10 for Dixon and 22, then use 22 to trade for Redden from Brisbane.

Yeah, while I personally think pick 10 for Dixon is slightly overpaying, pick 10 for Dixon plus a very early second round pick would be absolute highway robbery for us. Absolutely would never happen.

Clurey is a developing play that has only played a handful of games, his value atm would be no moor than Moore's. Port would be foolish to trade Clurey, he is not going any where. I do get what you are saying though.

Agreed re Clurey, he probably isn't going anywhere, I put his name up for a couple of reasons, eg he loses his man too easily ( even at sanfl level, Alleway and Eddy in consecutive weeks ), which may be the reason he was dropped from the Power in the first place, and it could be argued that both of Austin and Howard, who are both taller ( Howard significantly so ) than him, and both have, ( again arguably ) shown more at the same stage of their careers.

Tommy spent a fair slice of his 1st year on the Power list in the gay bay magoos, the other two blokes have looked very comfortable at sanfl league level from day 1.

Last edited:
Defensive tactic so their fans go "ah well, he's got s**t ankles anyway".

This is exactly it. I posted on another forum saying 'this is what we've got to look forward to' in reply to a video of him kicking that insane goal on the weekend, and the reply I got from a GCS supporter was "this is also what you've got to look forward to" and a picture of bruised ankles. It's just a coping mechanism for the fans.

Here's a thought. Say we can convince GC to take next years first rounder. Essentially we are backing ourselves to bounce back next year (which I think will happen!). But we've just seen this year how the players can't deal with expectation, imagine the media circus if we are the first club to trade a future first rounder and then drop a few early games...

Let's not count our chickens too early again, I feel like half the problem this year was the players expectong it to happen.

I was initially in the camp that this years first rounder was the only way to get Dixon, but damn if we could get him for next years first rounder, we'd be ******* dreaming. Would GCS fall for it though?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was initially in the camp that this years first rounder was the only way to get Dixon, but damn if we could get him for next years first rounder, we'd be ******* dreaming. Would GCS fall for it though?
They are going to have three picks in the top 25 this year as it is. Getting next years pick may actually be more worthwhile for them, there is no guarantee that we rise up the ladder next year and that's how I would sell it. We are losing Schulz, polec a year out of the game, no Schulz and Kane mean we drop the median age a little. Only Brisbane and Carlton you would think are guaranteed to stay at the bottom. With most teams very optimistic of a rise up the ladder including gold coast why can't we sell our first pick next year for Charlie?

Why would we? This years draft pool is apparently poor and next years is much better by all accounts so why would we?

Well, as others have said, if this year really is the anomaly most of us (myself included) think it is, our pick next year might not even be that good. Not to mention I feel it's not so damaging for the club to go one year without a first round pick, but two years could screw us over a bit.

They are going to have three picks in the top 25 this year as it is. Getting next years pick may actually be more worthwhile for them, there is no guarantee that we rise up the ladder next year and that's how I would sell it. We are losing Schulz, polec a year out of the game, no Schulz and Kane mean we drop the median age a little. Only Brisbane and Carlton you would think are guaranteed to stay at the bottom. With most teams very optimistic of a rise up the ladder including gold coast why can't we sell our first pick next year for Charlie?

No, I agree, I think we can, I just wonder whether GCS will fall for it, are they that dumb? I hope so. But yeah, there is a definite selling angle and that's how I'd be selling it too... act like we're in a rut and next year is looking uncertain for us again and maybe we'll fall even further? Then we finish in the eight next year and don't really lose all too much while still getting this years first rounder. That's the ideal situation imo.

No, I agree, I think we can, I just wonder whether GCS will fall for it, are they that dumb? I hope so. But yeah, there is a definite selling angle and that's how I'd be selling it too... act like we're in a rut and next year is looking uncertain for us again and maybe we'll fall even further? Then we finish in the eight next year and don't really lose all too much while still getting this years first rounder. That's the ideal situation imo.
The stuff people write on public forums about clubs 'falling for it' lol.

It all depends on whether they think they can fill a pressing need with Pick 10 or if they would rather have the ability to use our first round pick next year to strengthen their list. At worst it'll be Pick 18 - you'd like to think they would have a pick around 8-12 next year.

Now let's assume that next year rolls around and there's a player coming out of contract that the Suns want to target. Let's say Sumner from GWS. Having another first round draft pick to offer instead or as well as their Pick 8-12 might be something they would be interested in.

In short, they would only go for it if they were confident in its value as a worst case scenario. Remember, we essentially (I know there was more to it) gave up Shaun Burgoyne and our second round draft pick for 9 and an upgrade to pick 16. That's the sort of deal that Gold Coast could do next year - but it only works if they have someone they are targeting already.

Agreed re Clurey, he probably isn't going anywhere, I put his name up for a couple of reasons, eg he loses his man too easily ( even at sanfl level, Alleway and Eddy in consecutive weeks ), which may be the reason he was dropped from the Power in the first place, and it could be argued that both of Austin and Howard, who are both taller ( Howard significantly so ) than him, and both have, ( again arguably ) shown more at the same stage of their careers.

Tommy spent a fair slice of his 1st year on the Power list in the gay bay magoos, the other two blokes have looked very comfortable at sanfl leauge level from day 1.
IMO his performance with the Power was good, i think Ken was trying to get a more mobile defense set up, could be why he was dropped.

How does clurey come even into discussion in any of the trade threads? Does nobody pay attention that we signed him till 2017. This means he is valued by us and wants to stay with the club for the future. It doesn't matter if our first year draftees have shown more in this year, Clurey has shown that he can play at afl level and could easily play on the weekend. We get rid of him and say hombsch gets injured our defensive depth goes from Clurey (21) straight down to someone we drafted last year (18/19) where they don't have the endurance capacity nor the strength to hold their own against afl standard forwards. It's the equivalent of theoretically trading wines it boggles the mind

We paid overs for Ryder, don't want to pay overs for Dixon. Keep the first rounder

We did?? Unless WADA go whack I think we made out like bandits!

For Dixon and I like the idea of us giving our first rounder plus an exchange of second rounders. Should give us a pick at around the time we selected Impey so if we choose well we get a first 22.

Depends on clurey too. He's good enough to be getting a fair crack in the AFL, but I can't fit him in our team unless there's injuries. Played well without him despite missing our 2 key backs. He may want to seek opportunity elsewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back