Player Watch Charlie Dixon

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is another risk...

Its all or nothing...

Last year we took ryder and we still not sure about him playing next year and now we might back it up this year with charlie...

But if it comes off in our favour it is a big win...

I think TBird was more referring to if we needed to give up pick 10 given we probably have the upper hand in bargaining if he chooses us, rather than if he is worth pick 10. I've actually come around on this point after not wanting to part with pick 10, and am happy to do so to get Dixon, but think a straight swap of those two is not in our favour.
Good article btw, missed that one.

Yup.

There are so many trades where a players true worth hasn't been exchanged when the player requesting to leave changes the balance of power. Of course we should get Dixon, but let's be a bit more creative/bullish than "here's pick 10, thank you, come again"

I think TBird was more referring to if we needed to give up pick 10 given we probably have the upper hand in bargaining if he chooses us, rather than if he is worth pick 10. I've actually come around on this point after not wanting to part with pick 10, and am happy to do so to get Dixon, but think a straight swap of those two is not in our favour.
Good article btw, missed that one.

Yeah fair enough, I posted earlier in this thread that I don't think our first round pick alone would be in our favour and that a more complicated deal would likely occur. We'd still part with our first rounder though.

Yup.

There are so many trades where a players true worth hasn't been exchanged when the player requesting to leave changes the balance of power. Of course we should get Dixon, but let's be a bit more creative/bullish than "here's pick 10, thank you, come again"
Sometimes it is that simple. Our 1st round gets it done because Gold Coast just sit until the last 30 minutes of the draft if it doesn't. Gold Coast want a player gives them a player. Gold Coast will not roll over if we try and play hard ball they would just close the door and say come back with 30 minutes to go on the daft.

You want to hold on to this year's 1st round pick you need a solution where Gold Coast win by letting us keep it and that would be a player that we rate.

I posted the following earlier in this thread. The value of a contested marking key forward absolutely cannot be understated. They are as rare as hen's teeth and clubs only very rarely collect them in the draft beyond a top 5 pick. Ryder is obviously a very valuable player but Dixon has greater value in the scheme of things.

Link
when Port has no choice but to kick long inside 50, those same forwards [Schulz, Westhoff & Ryder] don’t have the ability to take those important grabs. In fact the Power are ranked 14th for average contested marks inside 50 per game and 16th for general contested marks this season.

Dixon, who is having a career-best season with 35 goals from 13 games, has averaged 1.4 contested marks inside forward 50 per game so far this season — ranked third in the competition behind Tom Hawkins and Jesse Hogan.

The 200cm powerhouse is also the fourth-best one-on-one player in the league, winning a one-on-one contest 44 per cent of the time.
Link

Dixon under an elite football department :eek:

Really excited to see what Dixon can bring to our game in 2016; he can take those big strong uncontested grabs leading backwards towards goals (Plan A), clunk the contested hangers one meter from the forward pocket boundary if it is a stagnant entry from the wing (Plan B). Otherwise it will be exciting to see Dixon taking his defender to the far wing while the hardrunning Mitchell delivers a looper onto Neadey's head (Plan C). If anyone dares hit Dixon on the chest 30m dead in front as the result of repeat leads from the goal square they will be considered tradebait for 2017.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

the fact gcs have come out in the media talking about Charlie's ankles and him not being able to play too many games due to them

A) makes me think they are'nt so upset at losing him

B) will not play hardball at the trade table

Hence my not just blindly chucking a top ten pick at them.

I still don't see a second round pick as anything near enough .. But still think we can and should hold out for more back from our first.

It's not, but * Gold Coast. 2nd and a future 1st perhaps.

I'm still of the opinion Port could land Charlie Dixon with their 2nd round pick and a couple of players, eg Clurey, Young, or even O'Shea thrown into the deal.
A 3rd club may also be involved in the arrangement.

Before any one arcs up about Clurey and O'Shea ;), it has to be remembered you usually have to give something to get something, and I didn't add Moore to the equation because any team even slightly interested in him would probably just wait for him to be delisted.

It's not, but **** Gold Coast. 2nd and a future 1st perhaps.
Nah Blighty would just laugh and he can go to Brisbane in the preseason draft. Don't need a bullshit pick and Port go into next season with Butch as our forward target. Gold Coast aren't sitting there thinking they are going to get bent over. Port lose more by not getting Dixon than Gold Coast lose getting nothing.

I'm still of the opinion Port could land Charlie Dixon with their 2nd round pick and a couple of players, eg Clurey, Young, or even O'Shea thrown into the deal.
A 3rd club may also be involved in the arrangement.

Before any one arcs up about Clurey and O'Shea ;), it has to be remembered you usually have to give something to get something, and I didn't add Moore to the equation because any team even slightly interested in him would probably just wait for him to be delisted.
Clurey is a developing play that has only played a handful of games, his value atm would be no moor than Moore's. Port would be foolish to trade Clurey, he is not going any where. I do get what you are saying though.

the fact gcs have come out in the media talking about Charlie's ankles and him not being able to play too many games due to them

A) makes me think they are'nt so upset at losing him

B) will not play hardball at the trade table

Defensive tactic so their fans go "ah well, he's got s**t ankles anyway".

I still feel we need to try and keep our first rounder this year, to keep talented kids coming through. Would be happy to trade next years 1st for him though

I still feel we need to try and keep our first rounder this year, to keep talented kids coming through. Would be happy to trade next years 1st for him though

I reaaaaaaally don't want to trade our first pick this year.

But, I've come to terms with it happening. It's the only way to get Dixon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back