Player Watch Charlie Dixon

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
True, and even though he has played in front of 3 or 4 biggish crowds, he has never played where the majority of the big crowd is in his corner. NTUA.

The family day will be in the top 10 biggest crowds he has played in front of. :D

22 - Mason Shaw, Simon Phillips, Jay Nash, Hamish Hartlett, Josh Mahoney, Bowen Lockwood, Greg Phillips, Keith Spencer, John Abley, Greg Boyd, Tony Malakellis, Ben Harris, Milan Faletic

Here is a question out of the bag.
Are we overrating Dixon? And if so by how much and how much pressure are we putting him under?

Night games are also an entirely different experience altogether.
Fair old difference between a big crowd for a Crows game against the Suns at midday on a Saturday and a packed house Port Adelaide crowd on Saturday night. Charlie will be blown away.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I got the 2004 victory pack out last night and watched the round 22 showdown and boy oh boy did the great Warren Tredrea tear the crows a new one that day, he had complete control over the game and did that regularly during that 2001-2005 period of dominance. I don't think anyone is expecting Charlie to be that good but hopefully he gets close, we all know he's got talent but just how good he can be is an unknown quantity.

I got the 2004 victory pack out last night and watched the round 22 showdown and boy oh boy did the great Warren Tredrea tear the crows a new one that day, he had complete control over the game and did that regularly during that 2001-2005 period of dominance. I don't think anyone is expecting Charlie to be that good but hopefully he gets close, we all know he's got talent but just how good he can be is an unknown quantity.
When I walked around the stadium before the game that day, they were selling Crows home match raffle tickets. They tried selling some to me saying this is the last game of the year so I responded with "why, won't you be here next week?"

Any Port fan of the 70s and 80s was brought up on the excitement of a dominant full forward. "EVANS!!!", "HODGES!!!". You'd go to the game wanting a win, a bag from the ff, a pie with sauce and a 4 beers. Happy times!

Butcher tapped into that excitement. We all knew/hoped he was the missing link in our premiership DNA.

Dixon will be a massive crowd pleaser. He will be the exciting forward focal point and the missing link. AO will go nuts.
Which is why I reckon the crowd for the Saints game will be higher than the 40k that some are predicting: every man and his dog will be wanting to see Charlie in action.

Last edited:
Fair old difference between a big crowd for a Crows game against the Suns at midday on a Saturday and a packed house Port Adelaide crowd on Saturday night. Charlie will be blown away.
No, with the supply he'll get from our midfield, the opposition will be blown away :)

Our crowds are much louder pound for pound, and there's none of that bizarre clicking of dentures and knitting needles.

Which is why I reckon the crowd for the Saints game will be higher than the 40k that some are predicting: every man and his dog will be wanting to see Charlie in action.

I guess that's the power of the pet membership ;)

Our crowds are much louder pound for pound, and there's none of that bizarre clicking of dentures and knitting needles.

Our crowd is the loudest in the comp and it's no contest to 2nd. Richmond up and about would be 2nd for sheer noise but nothing gets close to our crowd. I've only seen 1 home game at AO that was the Hawthorn game in Anzac Day, in person it can't be described to others how loud our crowd is you just have to experience it. Makes me very jealous of you lot who get to be there every other week.

Dixon playing round 1 I don't see 45,000 as a strecth for round 1 with the level of excitement from our fans with him. Paddy was a big get last year but I feel the excitement of Dixon has far surpassed that of Ryder last year. And good to see tht it seems Charlie is embracing it all with his Port tv interviews and talking footy appearance. For me it's the perfect place for the big fella to land a club and fans who genuinely care about footy and are as knowledgeable as it gets.

Caro delivers once again. Really good read on big dix and how he joined the pear.

http://m.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/charlie-dixon-finds-port-in-a-storm-20151125-gl85mj.html

For Charlie Dixon, the cultural and geographical distance from the Gold Coast to Port Adelaide was just one part of the long journey he has travelled from those dark days earlier this year, when he wondered whether he was up for football after all.

The game that had come so naturally to the Suns' first player was proving every bit as demanding as his early mentor and Gold Coast assistant Ken Hinkley had warned, and the extracurricular issues Guy McKenna and others had cautioned him about threatened to spiral out of control.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back