Player Watch Chayce Jones - Re-Signed to End of 2026

Remove this Banner Ad

Jones is the type of player that has the necessary AFL skill sets without the quick maturation or confidence as his early-pick counterparts (Rozee, Rankine, Butters). Last season was the defining season where he’s saying “I don’t feel out of place anymore”.
In the very least, I think he could be as handy a player as Douglas in his prime, a useful utility-type player.

Jones is the type of player that has the necessary AFL skill sets without the quick maturation or confidence as his early-pick counterparts (Rozee, Rankine, Butters). Last season was the defining season where he’s saying “I don’t feel out of place anymore”.
In the very least, I think he could be as handy a player as Douglas in his prime, a useful utility-type player.

Hard to say at this point, though I struggle to have any real faith that there is more to Chayce Jones then his current performances (which would be around the Mad Dog Mackay kind of ceiling).

Last edited:

Hard to say at this point, though I have Jones more at a Mad Dog Mackay kind of ceiling then anything higher at this point.
No, Jones' ceiling is higher than Mackay because he is a reliable kick for goal. Big weapon for a player.

No, Jones' ceiling is higher than Mackay because he is a reliable kick for goal. Big weapon for a player.

Possible, though goal kicking accuracy can vary pretty heavy year-by-year as players can just go on runs of good or bad goal kicking - case in point, Dawson this year. Mackay had similar years in terms of accuracy to Jones this year, especially in the early 2010s (AFL stat pro has it until 2012).

More reliable field kick as well.

Oh, and he has quite an adult body presence on the field when it comes to the contact aspects of the game.
- People know they are being tackled bumped or being stood next to by Jones.

Possible, though goal kicking accuracy can vary pretty heavy year-by-year as players can just go on runs of good or bad goal kicking - case in point, Dawson this year. Mackay had similar years in terms of accuracy to Jones this year, especially in the early 2010s (AFL stat pro has it until 2012).
McKay never exuded confidence when kicking for goal... whereas Jones does.

It's chalk & cheese!

McKay never exuded confidence when kicking for goal... whereas Jones does.

It's chalk & cheese!

Results are the only thing that matter and Jones was only a 45% accurate kick for goal this year. Mackay had multiple years around that mark.

Results are the only thing that matter and Jones was only a 45% accurate kick for goal this year. Mackay had multiple years around that mark.
Huh?

Jones kicked 7 goals & 5 points last season.

Nailed some in crucial moments too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Opposite of Bazzball... as they post 1 post per year. 7 posts since 2015... so likely someone's alias.

You would think if you only posted once per year, you would make it count lol.

Opposite of Bazzball... as they post 1 post per year. 7 posts since 2015... so likely someone's alias.

You would think if you only posted once per year, you would make it count lol.

True. I just ignored it because it didn't make sense.

More reliable field kick as well.

Oh, and he has quite an adult body presence on the field when it comes to the contact aspects of the game.
- People know they are being tackled bumped or being stood next to by Jones.
I also think he’s got more speed and evasion than DMac. He knows to use his speed more to impact on the bumps and tackles than DMac.

I also think he’s got more speed and evasion than DMac. He knows to use his speed has pretty more to impact on the bumps and tackles than DMac.
I agree. Jones trajectory of late has been very encouraging. He has a hardness to him, a good burst of speed, has plenty of endurance so can cover the ground and provide good run and good skills. He now seems to feel he belongs. He is turning into a very handy player indeed!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back