Player Watch Chayce Jones - Re-Signed to End of 2026

Remove this Banner Ad

Boy, was I wrong about Jones

Which means McHenry is about to cut loose
not without reason too. he just never looked remotely confident or comfortable, especially when you consider how high he was taken. maybe everyone is just so used to players coming in and fitting into footy pretty seamlessly that we forget that they are still kids.

How’s this sit with you Drummond
Happy for him. Has copped a lot of stick over the years, some from me definitely. It’s funny because I always thought he had the talent, showed glimpses, but when we was getting 6-8 touches in the SANFL I thought he was cooked. But he’s done well. Wish I cared more but I just don’t.

not without reason too. he just never looked remotely confident or comfortable, especially when you consider how high he was taken. maybe everyone is just so used to players coming in and fitting into footy pretty seamlessly that we forget that they are still kids.
Pressure 100% got to him. Understandable given what we’ve heard about the differing direction from coaches / players on field, 2 town team.

I’m hoping he gets more CBAs and becomes that solid inside/outside midfielder

Happy for him. Has copped a lot of stick over the years, some from me definitely. It’s funny because I always thought he had the talent, showed glimpses, but when we was getting 6-8 touches in the SANFL I thought he was cooked. But he’s done well. Wish I cared more but I just don’t.
Thought some were a bit harsh when they thought he was a spud

Takes him to his FA, and one year before Tas comes in

Smart by us, he’d have to either re-sign for a single year, or play in the VFL for a year if he wants to go home

This was my thought too. If he does want to go to Tassie he'll either have to sit out for a year, or ask for a very short-term contract, or else take the next contract and then request to break it giving us more leverage.

Agree, I said the same years ago (still think he can use his elite pace a bit more). Have you seen glimpse of Rachele in the midfield like all of us have???

Uplifting story

This was my thought too. If he does want to go to Tassie he'll either have to sit out for a year, or ask for a very short-term contract, or else take the next contract and then request to break it giving us more leverage.
Or ask for a trade while still under contract

Happy with the resigning, and happy he’s come good, but - and I say this as one of his few defenders in the bleak times - he’s not that good. At least, not yet.

I was always a fan Chayce
Same as many know with my support of him in the pre-season.

Was confident he would prove the doubters wrong as has always had the tools to play AFL & was just an issue of finding his mojo.

I'm sure FR0GGY & George Kramer are now happy with a contract extension now they have got to know the true Chayce.

Same as many know with my support of him in the pre-season.

Was confident he would prove the doubters wrong as has always had the tools to play AFL & was just an issue of finding his mojo.

I'm sure FR0GGY & George Kramer are not happy with a contract extension now they have got to know the true Chayce.
They have been on board for awhile now

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Great news.

Jones has always shown signs of being a quality footballer. He just isnt the lead from the front x factor star we were sold he was. He is a great player who works around the teams stars. As we get better its come as no surprise he has gotten better as he is able to play his natural game.

In the games Drumm was talking about, where he couldn't find the footy for consecutive weeks in the SANFL you had to be the world's greatest optimist to think he'd turn it around at the same club with the same coaching staff.

Testament to his character.

Also might add gives off good bloke vibes too. Humble, hard working but deriving genuine enjoyment from playing.

Hard bastard at the ball too. All the tools to be a supporter's favourite.

It’s interesting, you get a mid-40s pick like Soligo who fits in pretty much straight away, and a top 10 pick like Jones who takes several years to show what he’s got.

Good for him. Liking what he’s bringing to the team, hard at it, fast, good kick.

It’s interesting, you get a mid-40s pick like Soligo who fits in pretty much straight away, and a top 10 pick like Jones who takes several years to show what he’s got.

Good for him. Liking what he’s bringing to the team, hard at it, fast, good kick.
He was in a no-win position in his draft year. There were so many extremely good players that went before him and a few later ones that played well from day one. He has certainly been a late bloomer but he has a big upside. At the time I thought Ned would be our player. I was thinking of him as a Caleb Daniel type player with more go in him. I still think Ned has lots of improvement in him. He just lacks some skills.

Pressure 100% got to him. Understandable given what we’ve heard about the differing direction from coaches / players on field, 2 town team.

I’m hoping he gets more CBAs and becomes that solid inside/outside midfielder

Yep, him, Pedlar and Rachelle need to be in the guts more, elite talent should be in the coalface. People talk about us needing A grade mids that come from high draft picks, those 3 are in the top 11

Remove this Banner Ad

Back