Asia China's growing influence

Remove this Banner Ad

I think there's a new generation of Chinese leadership that's just waiting for Xi to fail before they take over.
Love your optimism. My opinion is that China's an expansionist power that hasn't been this powerful in a few hundred years and thinks its ok use that power to bully its neighbours.

The Chinese consistently miscalculate when it comes to the Taiwanese people. (as most foreigners do :))
If they want to win them over, they have to go venal. Only only filthy lucre will woo them away from the freedoms they now enjoy.
They cut the balls off their scrotum-cuppers the KMT by overtly backing Han (Korean Fish) in the last presidential election. They've been trying to intimidate again over the official visiting to the island by US and other national officials. That s**t just pisses the locals off. They have to fall back on the old-school Chinese method of buying off.

Great news coming out of Taiwan which won't please China. Happy days
It was never really in doubt. Third party spoiler Ko had very little support south of Taipei, and that mostly younger voters who just didn't want same old parties. The KMT is toast among sentient Taiwanese. Tsai was quietly competent which was a break after bumbler C+ Harvard student Ma and Ah Bian. Lai is a poor southern boy made good. We'll see how well he administers the gov and the party. Especially the corruption which is cultural.
China can't be surprised by the outcome unless they are seriously out of touch. Which is unlikely given how much intell they get from the island and from businessmen spending time on the mainland.

The Chinese consistently miscalculate when it comes to the Taiwanese people. (as most foreigners do :))
If they want to win them over, they have to go venal. Only only filthy lucre will woo them away from the freedoms they now enjoy.
They cut the balls off their scrotum-cuppers the KMT by overtly backing Han (Korean Fish) in the last presidential election. They've been trying to intimidate again over the official visiting to the island by US and other national officials. That s**t just pisses the locals off. They have to fall back on the old-school Chinese method of buying off.

You seem very knowledgeable on Taiwan.

I don't see how Xi & co are ever going to win over the people of Taiwan. We need look no further than Hong Kong. Xi is stripping away its special autonomous status. He is destroying all signs of the border between Hong Kong and mainland China. Citizens of Hong Kong never agreed to the brutal suppression of rights that communist China now imposes on them. No citizen of Taiwan in their right mind could possibly support unification with China.

You seem very knowledgeable on Taiwan.

I don't see how Xi & co are ever going to win over the people of Taiwan. We need look no further than Hong Kong. Xi is stripping away its special autonomous status. He is destroying all signs of the border between Hong Kong and mainland China. Citizens of Hong Kong never agreed to the brutal suppression of rights that communist China now imposes on them. No citizen of Taiwan in their right mind could possibly support unification with China.
I've been marooned on the rock since 1990. :grinv1:

You're right in that most Taiwanese don't trust Xi or want to be a part of China. The economy though is stagnant or in decline for a long time and I think they can be wooed by money. Businessmen certainly have been. The young voters helped smack down the KMT four years ago, so they are savvy enough there not to just let the Chinese in.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting article discusses the PRC cyberwarfare against Taiwan during the recent election. It was highly sophisticated, multiplatform and extensive, but probably not very effective. Twitter has done the least of the major SM platforms to stamp it out.

Interesting article discusses the PRC cyberwarfare against Taiwan during the recent election. It was highly sophisticated, multiplatform and extensive, but probably not very effective. Twitter has done the least of the major SM platforms to stamp it out.
interesting article
I might think that it grew Ko's results. From the people I know or from expat online discussions, his support outside of the north was younger voters already in the workforce. They maybe wanted a change in the status quo and latched on to him as an alternative. He came on the scene as an outsider, seemed to have integrity, but as time went by he lost his compass a bit and good power drunk. Though don't take my word on it. I haven't followed local politics as much as I did years ago, and I live in the south away from the Taipei vortex.
China had to get at interfering since their ineptitude derailed Korean Fish's run at it last election. It boomeranged badly on them.

interesting article
I might think that it grew Ko's results. From the people I know or from expat online discussions, his support outside of the north was younger voters already in the workforce. They maybe wanted a change in the status quo and latched on to him as an alternative. He came on the scene as an outsider, seemed to have integrity, but as time went by he lost his compass a bit and good power drunk. Though don't take my word on it. I haven't followed local politics as much as I did years ago, and I live in the south away from the Taipei vortex.
China had to get at interfering since their ineptitude derailed Korean Fish's run at it last election. It boomeranged badly on them.
So you think it has backfired on some occasions? I find many of the PRC attempts have looked clumsy but I don't really know how Taiwanese would see them.

The conversation has an article about PRC demographics which is worth a read.

The 'demographic bomb' as some folks call it is often given as a reason for the PRC looking to 'unify' Taiwan sooner rather than later. It's usually lined up with other factors such as American weakness, Taiwan's lack of preparation and President Xi's age. You could probably throw in the current world turmoil as another factor to go early. Finger crossed it doesn't happen.

I'm delighted that Zheng lost otherwise China would have used her victory as a propaganda tool.

So Chinese athletes allowed to win sporting competitions now? Do you think our bogan media going insane over some athlete (who probably lives and trains overseas) who happens to win a sports match isn’t an example of ‘propaganda’?

How pathetic. Why don’t you learn from people who have actually been there:

Last edited:
You know China pays for and scripts those sort of videos?

No - one of my interests is travelling and I consume a lot of travel content. The first video was from Jack Torr whom I’ve been following since the beginning. I also follow Josie Lifts Things too. They’re independent travellers who don’t focus on China but all decided to travel there despite hearing its supposedly hell on earth, and all had a great time.

Maybe you yourself should broaden your horizons and travel there yourself.

I'm delighted that Zheng lost otherwise China would have used her victory as a propaganda tool.
Pushing it too far, there is nothing wrong with a Chinese athlete winning - the CCP and Xi are the problem for the region and the Chinese people. You are making Scummos mistake and conflating China and Xi which enables Xis propaganda claims about racism.

On SM-A125F using BigFooty.com mobile app

No - one of my interests is travelling and I consume a lot of travel content. The first video was from Jack Torr whom I’ve been following since the beginning. I also follow Josie Lifts Things too. They’re independent travellers who don’t focus on China but all decided to travel there despite hearing its supposedly hell on earth, and all had a great time.

Maybe you yourself should broaden your horizons and travel there yourself.
Ive been to the Republic of China, nice place.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back