Australia, a growing geopolitical lap dog and not just in the Indo Pacific.

Remove this Banner Ad

Doesn't look like Labor is going to back away from AUKUS, although there might be some dissension in the ranks.
Given our (future) increased capability, I think there might be a shift away from lapdog, and more toward strategic partner.

Doesn't look like Labor is going to back away from AUKUS, although there might be some dissension in the ranks.
Given our (future) increased capability, I think there might be a shift away from lapdog, and more toward strategic partner.
'Lapdog', 'Strategic Partner', tomato, tomarto.

Quite simply in the end, the US is the global policeman, and all its allies are ever ready to do as instructed.

The UK itself, a top 5 ranked military power could also be labeled a 'Lapdog'.

More than certain that politically differed powers do view us as a major combative threat.

'Lapdog', 'Strategic Partner', tomato, tomarto.

Quite simply in the end, the US is the global policeman, and all its allies are ever ready to do as instructed.

The UK itself, a top 5 ranked military power could also be labeled a 'Lapdog'.

More than certain that politically differed powers do view us as a major combative threat.
I was thinking along the lines of the new subs giving Australia that power projection capability I was talking about. It's a major point of change in offensive capability, depending on what they're planning to arm them with.
And as it turns out, the internal dissent in Labor is coming to the fore, according to a follow-up article I read this morning (ABC).

At the behest of the USA, yes. That's still a given at this point.

Last edited:

Disappointing that the ABC is leaving out the major donors of the labour mps and interest groups expressing concern about their leaders policy all come from the country whose aggressive behaviour triggered the need for AUKUS. Looks like some lapdogs are definitely in the room, lapdogs for Xi.

On SM-A125F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Disappointing that the ABC is leaving out the major donors of the labour mps and interest groups expressing concern about their leaders policy all come from the country whose aggressive behaviour triggered the need for AUKUS. Looks like some lapdogs are definitely in the room, lapdogs for Xi.

On SM-A125F using BigFooty.com mobile app
"Labor against War"?

I'm not sure how accurate this source is, regardless, what is troubling to me is that seemingly, we are no longer an unknown in a geopolitical sense. Mainstream media alludes as much and not just from local sources, unless you've been living on Mars.

Major world leaders have noticeably mentioned Australia in a geopolitical sense (particularly economically and somewhat militarily).

Mainstream media also alludes that we are the major power in the indo pacific region and probably have been for half a century (but obviously no longer), which is now a hot pot in territorial discussions i:e Taiwan, and other Pacific nations, in which it seems we're tit for tat with China. Both of us trying to buy off those nations with the 'security blanket'. pfft.

This source has us racked 16th in military power out of 145 nations, that doesn't exactly scream silent minnow nation not to worry about does it. It has us ranked 9 places above Germany - many would consider a world power.

If that does not give one concern then I don't know what would would.

Even if this source is not reliable or accurate, there's no denying that Australia has more than one finger in the geopolitical pie. Off the top of my head........

The quad

AUKUS

The Taiwanese have previously asked for our 'support' (for want of a better term) should things turn sour, in so much as a one China 'reunification'.

A whole page on this.

If we're such a minnow (which it's clear we are not) then why would Taiwan seek our support?

Military support for Ukraine, and praise from Vlod.

Even mad vlad and China are pissed off with us over the AUKUS deal, France has got their nose out of joint as well for obvious reasons.

Part of the G20

It's not like it was 50 or even 30 years ago, we definitely have a target on our back, particularly from China.

Once again, if it comes to the crunch King and country and Uncle Sam will come calling, the difference is we're a much more perceived threat then we ever have been - ever.

Personally, I'd prefer we'd be that lil minnow nation away from the rest of the worlds eyes, but now we can't escape that cos, well we ain't no lil or medium power anymore.

This gives me very high concern.

Discuss.

The world is splitting into autocratic regions and democratic regions. We are surrounded by the autocratic ones. On top the US is gradually withdrawing its military protection of trade in the Pacific that has existed since end of world war 2.

we need to stand up for our democratic values and unfortunately that means we need some military protection to do so. I would love to live in a globalised world with a global set of laws enforced by a global police force resulting in no need for national militaries. But both the left and right seem to reject globalisation which sends us into a world of dog eats dog in regards to international engagement where the strongest wins.

The world is splitting into autocratic regions and democratic regions. We are surrounded by the autocratic ones. On top the US is gradually withdrawing its military protection of trade in the Pacific that has existed since end of world war 2.

we need to stand up for our democratic values and unfortunately that means we need some military protection to do so. I would love to live in a globalised world with a global set of laws enforced by a global police force resulting in no need for national militaries. But both the left and right seem to reject globalisation which sends us into a world of dog eats dog in regards to international engagement where the strongest wins.
There are actual global / international laws and the states is the global policeman, we're one of the privates.

Let's not pretend that the autocrats are going to just waltz in and take over aus and take away our democracy and the US / western allies just idly sits by and 'meh'.

That's a very dramatic scenario you've painted there.

Not to mention, notice how the autocrats haven't just waltzed in yet, they won't bother unless we're a an immediate military threat and actually threatening.

Sure this thread does detail that we're more of a potential threat than ever before but I think you've over sensationalised it a bit.

I don't think the left reject globalisation, I think they regret it. Wanting everyone to hold hands and it hasn't worked out the way, either way has only and will only favour those that least deserve it, oligarchical autocrats and aholes who've misused capitalism, neoliberal capitalists profiteers . < why capitalism gets a bad name.

A nuclear arsenal of our own will give us armed neutrality.

Would rather nuclear energy. Solves our carbon & energy issues in one hit.

4 nuclear baseload power stations + renewables / batteries and we are sorted energy wise for hundreds of years.

That's an important step along the enrichment way, having a thriving nuclear energy sector. I'm for that as well.

Yes, will take us a good 10 years to establish a nuclear industry.

If we started now we could close down all coal fired power stations in Australia by 2039.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back