Oceania New Zealand election, Jacinda's legacy given the boot in crushing defeat

Remove this Banner Ad

Maybe, and I'm just spitballing here, but maybe a blackmarket would develop to cater to emerging generations who are not legally able to buy them? I think history has clearly demonstrated again and again that banning a substance only shifts the flow of cash away from legitimate tax-paying businesses and towards criminal groups.

I'm no fan of cigarettes or other nicotine products and the health/financial burden they place on the addicted. But society is moving away from prohibition as a solution, eg with many places legalising cannabis. Banning tobacco seemed a lil regressive.

I never thought I would find a post that basically says what I want to say be written by FK!

Second hand smoking is an issue, but then we’ve done a lot to push it exclusively to outdoors and make it generally socially unacceptable. We should continue that - but yes, if I support legalising more drugs it seems absurd to bring in a ban on a different one at the same time.

I never thought I would find a post that basically says what I want to say be written by FK!

Second hand smoking is an issue, but then we’ve done a lot to push it exclusively to outdoors and make it generally socially unacceptable. We should continue that - but yes, if I support legalising more drugs it seems absurd to bring in a ban on a different one at the same time.
Difference being in the addiction rates.

Difference being in the addiction rates.

I don't think people should smoke and have personally never smoked a cigarette. I think the cigarette companies should face far more severe criminal punishment for their historical covering up of the links between their product and cancer. I think we've done exceptionally well as a society (in Australia, at least) weening people off of smoking so it's an increasingly negligible number of smokers in the country. As someone who greatly supports harm minimisation as a drug policy, I don't think wholesale banning a drug has ever been shown to be a workable solution, including for drugs even more addictive than nicotine.

Argentina tick, Netherlands tick, Europe is turning...next US then Australia which is usually a few years behind rest of the world.

Australia isn't going to elect Peter Dutton, let alone anyone who even resembles Trump or even Milei (although he isn't as big a nutter as Trump)

Your best bet is to move to Russia, I hear they are keen for new recruits citizens.

Argentina tick, Netherlands tick, Europe is turning...next US then Australia which is usually a few years behind rest of the world.

I quoted this on the Argentina thread but recent elections in Poland, Spain, Czech Rep and Brazil all went left. Milei’s party in Argentina don’t hold a majority in parliament so will need to go into coalition with centrists, centrist parties in Netherland won’t go into coalition with Wilders unless he basically becomes no more than centre right, Italy’s Meloni, billed as far right, has governed as a pro EU moderate, Tories about to be obliterated by Labor (albeit basically a centrist Labor).

Like I said you need to really need to analyse all elections not just the ones you want to read about.

Winding back Maori health service, use of Maori language in Govt depertments and questioning the treaty.

If this conservative scumbag wants eventual guerrilla warfare against emerging and enraged Maori cadres he'd going about it the right way. In that case I'd hope the Maori wipe the floor with Luxon and his ilk.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back