Asia South Korea crowd crush, 153 dead.

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 19, 2020
AFL Club
Richmond
At least 153 people were killed and dozens more hurt in an apparent crowd surge at packed Halloween festivities in the South Korean capital of Seoul, local officials say.
Nineteen foreign nationals are among the dead. The victims include people from Iran, Norway, China and Uzbekistan
The crush took place in the nightlife district of Itaewon. What caused the crush is not clear, but witnesses say partygoers had been packed tightly in the district’s narrow streets and it was difficult to move around.
South Korean President Yoon Suk Yeol has declared a period of national mourning

Halloween is becoming an excuse for a party, with cosplay thrown in. I'm sure it's at least tacitly supported by officials for its economic impact in the CBDs. Mardi Gras, Cinco de Mayo, St. Paddys, etc, are all examples that have been exported or expropriated.
Massive crowds in limited areas is always a recipe for trouble. This is just a horrific tragedy.
I haven't been to Itaewon since the 80s and Seoul in general the 90s. Some expats here who've lived there say it is a wild area party area. I remember it as just a seedy bar area. Taipei is the same way as far as bar/club zones having narrow lanes and alleys, and people packing in on special occasions. Lots of old cities have that problem. Difference is the measures taken beforehand to anticipate potential problems. But that has to be hard, trying to herd large groups. You'd need barricades nearly to control numbers in different sections.

It's more american trash, we don't need it.
Kids love anything with lollies, but american trash is american trash.
We should espouse our own personalities not someone else's.
But we dont have an australian alternative. Instead we just do nothing. How is doing nothing forging our own personality?

And calling soemthing trash isnt an argument against something. I could call xmas trash and say its just an excuse to give presents which kids love. Its not an argument against celebrating xmas.

kids love lollies. Kids love dressing up. Kids love a sense of fantasy. Is this not worth giving kids once a year? Do you have a better idea?

But we dont have an australian alternative. Instead we just do nothing. How is doing nothing forging our own personality?

And calling soemthing trash isnt an argument against something. I could call xmas trash and say its just an excuse to give presents which kids love. Its not an argument against celebrating xmas.

kids love lollies. Kids love dressing up. Kids love a sense of fantasy. Is this not worth giving kids once a year? Do you have a better idea?
Maybe we could have "throw plastic in the ocean day".
Or " kill the feral cats weekend ".

Remove this Banner Ad

Back