Australia, a growing geopolitical lap dog and not just in the Indo Pacific.

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 6, 2016
Perth
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Pines Football Club
I'm not sure how accurate this source is, regardless, what is troubling to me is that seemingly, we are no longer an unknown in a geopolitical sense. Mainstream media alludes as much and not just from local sources, unless you've been living on Mars.

Major world leaders have noticeably mentioned Australia in a geopolitical sense (particularly economically and somewhat militarily).

Mainstream media also alludes that we are the major power in the indo pacific region and probably have been for half a century (but obviously no longer), which is now a hot pot in territorial discussions i:e Taiwan, and other Pacific nations, in which it seems we're tit for tat with China. Both of us trying to buy off those nations with the 'security blanket'. pfft.

This source has us racked 16th in military power out of 145 nations, that doesn't exactly scream silent minnow nation not to worry about does it. It has us ranked 9 places above Germany - many would consider a world power.

If that does not give one concern then I don't know what would would.

Even if this source is not reliable or accurate, there's no denying that Australia has more than one finger in the geopolitical pie. Off the top of my head........

The quad

AUKUS

The Taiwanese have previously asked for our 'support' (for want of a better term) should things turn sour, in so much as a one China 'reunification'.

A whole page on this.

If we're such a minnow (which it's clear we are not) then why would Taiwan seek our support?

Military support for Ukraine, and praise from Vlod.

Even mad vlad and China are pissed off with us over the AUKUS deal, France has got their nose out of joint as well for obvious reasons.

Part of the G20

It's not like it was 50 or even 30 years ago, we definitely have a target on our back, particularly from China.

Once again, if it comes to the crunch King and country and Uncle Sam will come calling, the difference is we're a much more perceived threat then we ever have been - ever.

Personally, I'd prefer we'd be that lil minnow nation away from the rest of the worlds eyes, but now we can't escape that cos, well we ain't no lil or medium power anymore.

This gives me very high concern.

Discuss.

Comrade Carringbush my Magpie friend I applaud your ability to glean important clues to the cosmic geopolitical alignment of forces, but your conclusions call to mind a Liberal party post election review for your capacity to glean lots of correct data and draw the opposite conclusion from reality.

We should not be afraid. instead harken to me and listen to a tale of injustice. A cursory examination of the Preamble to the Australian Constitution would provide the shocking but alas true picture of what our nation should be. A commonwealth of seven states, seven like the deadly sins mind (pop quiz - which sin would you pick for Tasmania?) where part of our historic and perfect Terra Australis ordained by God includes that so called not a country New Zealand.

We have suffered the injustice of allowing them apparent independence for too long, notwithstanding occasional shows of force such as the underarm incident.

A glance over the waters now though presents a picture both troubling and yet with a seed of opportunity.

Beset by political upheaval, with their rightful leader subverted they are weak and probably under the sway of China or Kiribati or something. Plus we have damning reports that the whole country is in the grip of Satanists and Neo Nazis.

It is time for us to flex our military and geopolitical might to launch an invasion special military operation to save our kith and kin in the shaky isles and return them to the bosom of their big brothers next door, a big brother who while occasionally inflicting an atomic wedgie or royal flush when provoked, is really overall benign and loving.

Their armed forces consist of about a battalion, two old Hercules, some frigates we sold them so they must be s**t, and a couple of alpacas. I am confident the operation can be completed in 3 days, tops, and if not then, well, no worries bru.

To ensure swift victory our troops will be prepared to arrive as liberators, not conquerors. All out landing forces will be liberally coated head to toe in lanolin, and provided with 60 million bottles of Speights as a show of sincerity of our comradeship (none of that Waikato s**t, South Island or bust). Political training will include learning helpful phrases such as "wheres your chully bun", "you're invaded as bru", and "baaaaaaa".

In the event some malcontents do not appreciate our presence, we will work with them to bring them round, by means of a complimentary Auckland Sky Tower Bungy Jump hosted by Ben Roberts Smith. *

With out dominance firmly but benevolently established, it will be only right and proper that we take all their Fisher and Paykel washing machines some small items to compensate us for our efforts. Perhaps their cheese, butter, Central otago pinot, Martinborough Pinot, come to think of it Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc but only the stuff they sell to America not the s**t they give us, heck maybe Marlborough Sounds while we are there, the All Blacks, Devon Conway, Lorde, all their Ski resorts, what the heck all of Queenstown, Wanaka, and Milford Sound, toffee pops, buzzy bees, the black sand beach where they filmed the Piano for shits and giggles, come to think of it Sam Neill and Jane Campion for reals this time, the Haka, whats left of Crowded house, and the cute way they pronounce "Wha" in place names as "Fuh" which makes "Whakapapa" sound like the plot of a gay pr0n flick.

Let us begin our sacred quest. For justice. Advance Australia Fair!

Actually, lets have their national anthem too.

*bungy not included

Last edited:

Personally, I'd prefer we'd be that lil minnow nation away from the rest of the worlds eyes, but now we can't escape that cos, well we ain't no lil or medium power anymore.

This gives me very high concern.

Discuss.
There's a difference between military power and the projection of it.
Granted, Australia has, since the 19th century, "represented" to one extent or another in many conflicts around the world, probably the most important in terms of taking front position being INTERFET in the late 90's and early aughts. I'd regard that as a sort of "coming of age", with respect to the projection of military power - but even that was more in the the role of an organising body providing the majority of feet on the ground.

Military power comparisons are a bit like discussing the wealth gap. The difference between the top 1% or so and the top 20% is so profound its difficult to understand or describe. Unlike some other nations around the world, Australia is not in a position to go it alone in a "peacekeeping" role, or in any manner of a more aggressive nature other than as a part of a wider conflict. Using INTERFET as an example, Australia's role in that conflict and its eventual outcome may have been completely different if it had been set against the Indonesian military itself, as opposed to local militias.

To consider a question like "could Australia match it with Indonesia in a conflict" is a very old school way of thinking. Globalisation has seen the formation of many power Blocs, with only a couple of nations at the very top of the food chain being able to project power individually and without support from other nations - and even that is questionable.
The more modern way to look at military power is to consider it from the perspective of its role within those global power blocs, the respective balance of power as a result of them, and ultimately Australia's value as an ally should the s**t hit the fan. IOW, what global (and by extension economic) standing would Australia have if it were not a member of those alliances - or if it were a member of different ones, which is an interesting gedanken.

Having said all that, I do understand your concerns. I've often wondered if America, by way of example, would be better served if it retreated to isolationist policies, being in a unique position to be able to do so, and the effect that would have upon the existing balance and consequently world order.
Another interesting question.

Your topics of discussion don't seem to get the responses they deserve. This is Australia.

I've often wondered if America, by way of example, would be better served if it retreated to isolationist policies, being in a unique position to be able to do so, and the effect that would have upon the existing balance and consequently world order.
Another interesting question.
I assume by this you mean 'not meddling in external affairs'.

Well, one could argue that 'leaves the door open' for any 'power block' group, or nation within said group, to do what may be not considered 'western' or 'liberal democratic' values.

The US, as much as a sh*thow it is at the moment IS the 'guard on duty' for so called 'liberal democracy' or the 'west'. Whether we like it or not, and whether we like it or not, we will be used as part of an attack dog if needed.

It might actually be good for the US in the short term, but sure as the world turns, those that oppose 'liberal democracy' would take advantage of that (for example China). In the medium to long term that would be good for no one in the 'west'.

The world order would be turned upside down.

And this is only in an ideological sense, not even viewing it through a geopolitical or economic lens.

The Taiwanese have previously asked for our 'support' (for want of a better term) should things turn sour, in so much as a one China 'reunification'.

Are the majority of Australians going to sacrifice lives and wealth to support what is essentially an internal Chinese conflict that should have been sorted out years ago?

Let’s see what the political situation is if the more reasonable KMT are elected in Taiwan as polls are showing they might be next time around over the more bellicose DPP, the KMT have shown an ability to negotiate rather than hyperventilate.

Even mad vlad and China are pissed off with us over the AUKUS deal

Most of ASEAN was also pissed about AUKUS. They don’t want a devastating war being fought over their territory so have a vested interest in keeping peace.

It’s reflective of how the Anglo world (AUKUS) has this colonialist mindset that we have some ingrained right to dictate how non Anglos in the world should act. They think Asians nations, ASEAN, are their obedient little dogs who will jump on command.

I don’t think the ALP would’ve supported AUKUS, at least in it’s current form, had they been in power when it was negotiated. Penny Wong is trying to tell Anglos how they are really perceived in Asia and how to better relate to the region. For that she was derided as ‘woke’.

There some who still think the 19th century world exists. They may get a rude awakening if they try and act on those assumptions.

Penny Wong is trying to tell Anglos how they are really perceived in Asia and how to better relate to the region. For that she was derided as ‘woke’.

There some who still think the 19th century world exists. They may get a rude awakening if they try and act on those assumptions.

Slightly off topic, have you got a link for the derision of Penny as woke? (even though woke is not a pejorative, anyone who uses it as such is an idiot)

Those who think 19th century world is still a thing is also an idiot and not worth the time of moment.

Either would certainly number in the very few.

As for your colonial slant, well it comes across as an anti 'west' rant. There are alternatives but I'm not sure you be so welcoming once the reality of that alternative hit.

What is your alternative?

Slightly off topic, have you got a link for the derision of Penny as woke? (even though woke is not a pejorative, anyone who uses it as such is an idiot)

Various right wing media, both local and overseas:

As for your colonial slant, well it comes across as an anti 'west' rant. There are alternatives but I'm not sure you be so welcoming once the reality of that alternative hit.

What is your alternative?

So it’s either east or west eh? How about a third way, we decouple from the Anglosphere and recast ourselves as the first ‘Eurasian’ nation, and act as a bridge between East and West. ASEAN nations become our closest partners and our foreign policy mirrors theirs, basically neutral with an eye to invest and trade within the region.

This was theorised in George Megalogenis’s great book ‘Australia’s Second Chance’, about how we can use migration to our advantage to reshape the nation in the 21st century:

Various right wing media, both local and overseas:
Yeah sky news and telegraph, as you said rw media, not worth looking at.
So it’s either east or west eh? How about a third way, we decouple from the Anglosphere and recast ourselves as the first ‘Eurasian’ nation,
Good point, seems there's been a bit of talk about that from Labor, think we'll go that way eventually, when don't know. Thread is about pretty much now, not a forecast of engaging more with Asia.

But what you raise is a great opportunity for us (and Asia), me reckons Penny and Albo will ramp this up - hopefully in this term.

Good point, seems there's been a bit of talk about that from Labor, think we'll go that way eventually, when don't know. Thread is about pretty much now, not a forecast of engaging more with Asia.

We are in the ‘now’, now is the time to recast ourselves away from being a ‘geopolitical lap dog’ and as an independent Eurasian nation that sheds itself of colonial trappings and US imperial influence and engages with our Asian nations as the primary partner.

I mean ridding ourselves of British symbology (flag, head of state, Kings birthday holiday etc) and embrace more Eurasian customs (CNY should become a public holiday). And ridding ourselves of US military bases and refusing to join in America’s wars of aggression

It’s not just about a few more Chinese and Indian restaurants in suburbs and a few more trade deals with Asian nations, I mean a total recasting of our national identity.

We are in the ‘now’, now is the time to recast ourselves away from being a ‘geopolitical lap dog’ and as an independent Eurasian nation that sheds itself of colonial trappings and US imperial influence and engages with our Asian nations as the primary partner.

I mean ridding ourselves of British symbology (flag, head of state, Kings birthday holiday etc) and embrace more Eurasian customs (CNY should become a public holiday). And ridding ourselves of US military bases and refusing to join in America’s wars of aggression

It’s not just about a few more Chinese and Indian restaurants in suburbs and a few more trade deals with Asian nations, I mean a total recasting of our national identity.
Well if you can get the majority on board then yeah it'll get up, I think you'd be naive to believe we can just immediately cut ties from king and country and uncle sam and everything's kumbaya by the camp fire. Right now that'd only be symbolic not to mention it'd just piss off Joe and Chuck - foolhardy.

We will eventually head this way IMO, but >Now< whether we like it or not (you and I don't) we are that lap dog.

So your proposal is essentially that we should abandon our culture; take on a foreign holiday relevant to a small portion of a our population and become like the Asean nations too afraid to talk about human rights etc for fear of what the psychotic steal will coerce or just plain steal from them next. We should of course be closer to our neighbours and I didn't argue about the Republic or kings birthday but what you are describing in your various posts is that we adopt a position even lower than a lapdog.

Sent from my SM-A125F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Are the majority of Australians going to sacrifice lives and wealth to support what is essentially an internal Chinese conflict that should have been sorted out years ago?

Let’s see what the political situation is if the more reasonable KMT are elected in Taiwan as polls are showing they might be next time around over the more bellicose DPP, the KMT have shown an ability to negotiate rather than hyperventilate.

Most of ASEAN was also pissed about AUKUS. They don’t want a devastating war being fought over their territory so have a vested interest in keeping peace.

It’s reflective of how the Anglo world (AUKUS) has this colonialist mindset that we have some ingrained right to dictate how non Anglos in the world should act. They think Asians nations, ASEAN, are their obedient little dogs who will jump on command.

I don’t think the ALP would’ve supported AUKUS, at least in it’s current form, had they been in power when it was negotiated. Penny Wong is trying to tell Anglos how they are really perceived in Asia and how to better relate to the region. For that she was derided as ‘woke’.

What do you think of the Quad which is also driven by Xis Agression or is it best ignored because it undermines the argument it is the evil anglos casting trouble?

So your proposal is essentially that we should abandon our culture

What is ‘our’ culture anyway?

I doubt you’ll be forced to speak Mandarin with a gun pointed at your head. But look at media, business, politics, still dominated by Anglo/Europeans, any non whites who do get a gig often have to come from the ‘right’ background and be culturally very ‘ocker’ themselves.

take on a foreign holiday relevant to a small portion of a our population

And that’s what I mean right there. A ‘foreign’ holiday. Leaving aside the specific day it’s interesting what is cast as foreign or not. Have a look at the social media of most ALP politicians (the ruling party) and you’ll see they acknowledged this ‘foreign’ holiday more so than Australia’s own ‘national’ day.

Or Australia’s other culturally ‘important’ holiday, April 25th. Reading between the two articles below it’s clear far more Australians are now participating in Chinese New Years events vs Anzac Day events:

However media coverage of CNY was almost non existent, compared to how much they bleat about Anzac Day you’d think 99% of Australians were at a dawn service. Personally I don’t know anyone in my circle of friends who gives a rat’s ass about Anzac Day, versus dozens who participate in CNY - and not all of them of Chinese origin.

It’s just one small example of many of what the ‘Australia’ culture being reflected in the media isn’t the Australia culture that exists now in this country.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I find this to be an interesting topic. We will always have ties to the US so wanting the removal of all US bases in Australia isn't going to happen.

However, there are ways we can move to a more neutral leaving status and it's not just about which events we celebrate.

For every person that doesn't acknowledge Anzac day, you'll find one at least that does. Likely more, this is due to the fact that it is part of our history and dark part of time in the world. CNY may well be part of our future and just because the ALP acknowledge it isn't a reference for our culture as a whole. Recall they really only won 35% of the vote overall so it's not a decisive measure.

Again however, I do agree we should better embrace the Asian and Pacific regions so much better. China is one of our trading partners and realistically the issue between the 2 nations are due to the Morrison's previous actions on behalf of the US over the coved origin and for some reason us getting involved in the South China Sea issues.
This was a terrible set of foreign policy moves that really weren't needed and yes this is the lap dog issue you are talking about and on that point I do agree we need that toned down and almost removed and a more neutral position taken.

The ALP are almost going further than the neutral point because after Morrison's actions we are coming from a fair way back.

End of the day we don't need to abandon our current culture, history etc in order to embrace a future with the Asain regions.

On SM-G781B using BigFooty.com mobile app

I find this to be an interesting topic. We will always have ties to the US so wanting the removal of all US bases in Australia isn't going to happen.

Why does having ties to a nation mean permanently hosting their armed forces on our soil? That’s what makes Australia a more likely target, not neutrality.

For every person that doesn't acknowledge Anzac day, you'll find one at least that does.

No, as I showed with the articles it’s indisputable more Australians now participate in CNY than Anzac Day.

CNY may well be part of our future and just because the ALP acknowledge it isn't a reference for our culture as a whole. Recall they really only won 35% of the vote overall so it's not a decisive

Greens, Teals, a lot of independents, the Liberals looking to reviver the Asian vote and Nationals trying to sell their products to China. Maybe not Pauline or Clive but who cares? Just another example of the ALP recognising Australia’s actual character and the Liberals still glued to a 60s era Anglo worldview that doesn’t exist anymore.

I doubt you’ll be forced to speak Mandarin with a gun pointed at your head. But look at media, business, politics, still dominated by Anglo/Europeans, any non whites who do get a gig often have to come from the ‘right’ background and be culturally very ‘ocker’ themselves.

And that’s what I mean right there. A ‘foreign’ holiday. Leaving aside the specific day it’s interesting what is cast as foreign or not. Have a look at the social media of most ALP politicians (the ruling party) and you’ll see they acknowledged this ‘foreign’ holiday more so than Australia’s own ‘national’ day.

Or Australia’s other culturally ‘important’ holiday, April 25th. Reading between the two articles below it’s clear far more Australians are now participating in Chinese New Years events vs Anzac Day events:

However media coverage of CNY was almost non existent, compared to how much they bleat about Anzac Day you’d think 99% of Australians were at a dawn service. Personally I don’t know anyone in my circle of friends who gives a rat’s ass about Anzac Day, versus dozens who participate in CNY - and not all of them of Chinese origin.

It’s just one small example of many of what the ‘Australia’ culture being reflected in the media isn’t the Australia culture that exists now in this country.
Off topic but, it's pretty clear what you think 'our' culture is, the impression you give is you're pissed off with having brit and yank ties. Not needing to tell you but these ties have been going on a long time, if ya wanna be angry about that then knock yourself out.

Pretty sad..........

It's also clear you believe the media when it suits you with these links, if you believe these articles to be majority popular belief the way media portray them then I have some crypto to sell you.

Take this anyway you wish but you give the impression you're ideologically blind and angry.

Anyway, back on topic, I don't like us being the lapdog because of the exposure, you don't like it because you're living in a society that you detest. Either either we both don't like it.

you're pissed off with having brit and yank ties.

No, I’m pissed off at us being their lapdogs, at the UK symbolically and the US militarily.

you don't like it because you're living in a society that you detest.

Don’t put words in my mouth.

I actually think on the street level Australian culture is more Eurasian than the media and political class would like to admit - more people attending CNY events over Anzac Day is just one example.

On a geopolitical level we shouldn’t be anyone’s lapdog. Notice how I’m not saying we should be China’s lapdog, but a neutral nation. Unfortunately these days if you say things like “Australia should be neutral” one group of screaming banshees yells “CCP SHILL!”

No, I’m pissed off at us being their lapdogs, at the UK symbolically and the US militarily.

I actually think on the street level Australian culture is more Eurasian than the media and political class would like to admit - more people attending CNY events over Anzac Day is just one example.

On a geopolitical level we shouldn’t be anyone’s lapdog. Notice how I’m not saying we should be China’s lapdog, but a neutral nation. Unfortunately these days if you say things like “Australia should be neutral” one group of screaming banshees yells “CCP SHILL!”
When neutral seems to mean ignoring all of Xis crimes against humanity and aggressive acts, it does look like being a CCP shrill. Scomo should have been more tactful (eg. never blamed China or thr Chinese for Xis actions), however Xi had been a threat for much longer and it is just his PR efforts that make out it is all Scummos fault. If anything we (and our non Anglo friends in Japan and India who keep getting ignored because it doesn't suit the evil Anglo position) we're probably too soft.

Woking more closely with ASEAN is great and it is also very good that we have a lot more multicultural immigration program unlike countries to our north especially Xi who only stopped government agencies banning blacks from shops when African leaders said it would cause problems for the mines they need to resource Xis massive military buildup (one of the largest in history)

Last edited:
If we weren't their lapdog, we'd be someone else's, if you wanna be pissed about it then knock yourself out.
Sorry, but that is the impression you give, coz all you're doing is going on an anti anglo / british / murican rant, so yeah expect from what you give.

You sound like one of those self-loathing, guilty by being born here aussies.

Not on topic.
Yeah, this is very recent so probably an exception to the rule and not on topic, but yeah eventually we will concentrate more on Asia ties as we slowly build relationships in the indo pacific - in fact we're already doing so. Just ask Penny.
On a geopolitical level we shouldn’t be anyone’s lapdog.
Well, that's a consequence of being a relatively new piece of land colonized by another power, if it weren't them then it could've been the Dutch in 1503, or if the allies lost wwii we'd speaking Japanese or German. It'd be someone, spose we're lucky it wasn't some power thirsty autocrat, but nah 'evil brit / white/ euro' right?

Take your pick or keep going on your rants, meh, not fussed.

Public holidays aren't determined based solely on some sort of participation criterion. Pretty much every state has Labour Day for instance, and most people aren't regularly attending Labour Day celebration events. That's not really what the day is about.

Do you understand that the KMT would willingly surrender parts of the main island to Chinese sovereignty? Is that being reasonable then. Forcing citizens of the capital and largest city to put away their national flag because a visiting PRC flunky would be upset by the sight of one, even beating those that wouldn't hide it from view. I guess that is reasonable. Please remember that most of the KMT leadership have, through the wealth accumulated by single party rule and corruption, dual citizenship and own property in various western countries. They are ready to flee whenever things get too dicey.

Bellicose is a loaded term to use for the DPP. From the day they won their first election, they have promised not to declare independence. They have never threatened the PRC, only scolded them to let them live in peace. Buying arms to protect against is being attacked is bellicose I guess.

Granted the DPP is has some of the old democracy revolutionaries in it, but the leadership under Tsai has been quite pragmatic on Straits issues. When the PRC cry it's not because of any threat from the ROC government. The threats are only in one direction.

I've kept this thread in mind for quite a while now Carringbush2010. Along with another one... something about Globalisation, also an interesting read.
Have any of your positions have been modified at all in light of recent events? Concerns heightened?

I've kept this thread in mind for quite a while now Carringbush2010. Along with another one... something about Globalisation, also an interesting read.
Have any of your positions have been modified at all in light of recent events? Concerns heightened?
My position hasn't changed, I still see us as the 'delegated' of the yanks and the brits - that's ok, we've always been that.

Like I said in the op, it's the heightened profile and the fact that we're probably viewed as a combative threat moreso than anytime in history, that's of concern.

Has it heightened since the op? Yeah a little. Should it? Yeah probably.

Even after Australia eventually becomes a republic (it will happen - just maybe not in our lifetimes) we still will be aligned politically with UK / Europe and the west. It just makes sense for us and NZ to have a collective security agreement. It has worked well too - since the Japanese attempt nobody has come close to launching a fully fledge attack on Australia.

I do us becoming a more independent nation as a natural progression. Less involvement in wars is a good thing but only if its not at the expense of our allies helping us should China decide it wants to go on the attack.

We are never going to be powerful enough to be totally neutral though. It's either continue as a western backed nation after eventual independence or do a deal with the Chinese. I know which I would prefer.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back