Ciaran Byrne (International Rookie) signs with the Blues - post #24

Remove this Banner Ad

He does look pretty good. He needs to be encouraged to take his marks in his hands though. He won't get away with always looking to take them on his chest if he reashes AFL level.

But our fine development coaches will be onto that ... right? o_O
Damn Good Question!

I actually quite liked that he protected the ball with his body, but you are right, taking the pill in the hands is the present preferred method.

Ciaran's kicking was slightly comical 3 months ago.
If that's the standard, then he's picked things up extremely quickly.

Can't say I saw him in the last quarter of the Development game unless he's got himself a great tan.
Was pale as snow when he arrived last year.

Hope he gets a game at the next level this week. Go Ciaran. :thumbsu:
Only played first half .

What are the rules regarding category B rookies?

Do they have to be elevated to the rookie list at the end of the year?

Get the Brad Pearce lookalike with the ponytail.
Think he can go for 3yrs as a category B and then would need to delisted or upgraded.
Liked his work in that clip. Continue on in that form up into the 2's & hopefully a seniors berth beckons. Keep him forward to settle in.

No experience necessary: Cats turn to star basketballer Michael Luxford with rookie pick
Last year Geelong made Blicavs, who at one point had his eyes on a possible Olympic berth, a Category B rookie. He proved an outstanding success in 2013, playing 22 matches in a ruck and roaming role.

Among other criteria, a Category B rookie can be one whom has not registered in any football league in the previous three seasons - such as Luxford.
No experience necessary: Cats turn to star basketballer Michael Luxford with rookie pick

I guess Blicavs getting a game means category B rookies can be promoted like a regular rookie selection.

Byrne went off during the 3rd quarter last week. Apparently the plan was to have him play 1/2 to 2/3 of a game as he had a few injuries in the preseason and wasn't expected to be able to run out the game.
This week he is supposed to play the whole game. We'll see how he goes, especially if the surface is a bit wet. More like Ireland?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Looks like a real player in the making. Just needs to gain and maintain confidence and I can see this guy being a very good wingman. He has dash. Looks like he has natural ability to read the flight and bounce of the oval ball. Good kicking skills. Tenacious and hasn't taken a backward step. Best all round prospect I've seen for the Blues in some time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back