Not-a-cluey Clarkson to Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rumour is flying around very thick in Adelaide at the moment that Alastair Clarkson is a chance to coach Adelaide next season.

Personally I dont think there is a chance but thought Id start a thread here anyway in case others have info regarding it.
Precious? Is that you.
Surely, only Mike Sheahan has earned the right to make complete fools of themselves like this in grand final week.

I has a quick squiz but couldnt find them discussing it.

The rumours are coming from people involved in the SANFL too so perhaps there is something to it.

Would need to be offering over $1 million a year and then some I would have thought.

There was a lot of talk about Clarkson and the Crows in the "Sando has been fired" thread.

I find it hard to believe, but would be awesome for the club if true !!

He's one of the highest paid coaches already and has turned down some pretty large offers from Melbourne/West Coast/Carlton in the past 4 years.

You would want to throw up 1.5 Million as a starting figure, Maybe if we won the premiership and Hodge/Mitchell/Lake/Hale/Sewell retire all in a week. Plus he seems like the bloke if you offered him a contract to leave the club he wouldn't consider it. You saw the fallout between him and pickering with the Buddy thing where he left his manager a couple of weeks later because of it

Precious? Is that you.
Surely, only Mike Sheahan has earned the right to make complete fools of themselves like this in grand final week.

Can't read mate? Said I don't think it's a chance. None the less the rumour is legitimate, hence we are in the rumours sub forum.

He's one of the highest paid coaches already and has turned down some pretty large offers from Melbourne/West Coast/Carlton in the past 4 years.

You would want to throw up 1.5 Million as a starting figure, Maybe if we won the premiership and Hodge/Mitchell/Lake/Hale/Sewell retire all in a week. Plus he seems like the bloke if you offered him a contract to leave the club he wouldn't consider it. You saw the fallout between him and pickering with the Buddy thing where he left his manager a couple of weeks later because of it

Yeah he doesn't strike me as the type of bloke to break a contract.

Be interesting to see what happens after the GF. Seems happy enough here and has a group that loves him so wait and see I guess

Can't read mate? Said I don't think it's a chance. None the less the rumour is legitimate, hence we are in the rumours sub forum.

How is a rumour legitimate? If my mate says to me "the rumour is..." is that legitimate? I often wind people up by using this, e.g. "the rumour is Lamumba is going to (insert their club)".

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How is a rumour legitimate? If my mate says to me "the rumour is..." is that legitimate? I often wind people up by using this, e.g. "the rumour is Lamumba is going to (insert their club)".

The rumour is legitimate as it is just that, a rumour. Doesn't mean that it has any truth to it.

Look, I have no idea about his long-term health, but surely after that scare earlier in the year, a big payday would be in the back of his mind?

I'm not saying he would be thinking about leaving or not, or that I have any medical knowledge whatsoever, but if someone came to me, gave me a contract that was probably 50-60% greater than my current and I had had health issues, I'd at least think about it.

Personally, I think he'll see through another mini-drop and rise at Hawthorn again, possibly culminating in 3rd/4th maybe even 5th premierships. Similar to 2009-2010 where Hawks weren't as strong and picked up Gibson, Stratton, Burgoyne, Duryea, Hale, Smith, Puopolo, Hallahan, Litherland, Grimley, Langford and elevated Suckling. So they played 1 final after their premiership in 2 years and picked up 9 players who will form part of their 22 this week just 4 years later (and 6 were important in a GF/premiership 2 and 3 years later respectively), with 3 able depth players along the way. I can see them falling slightly over 2015-2016, picking up some excellent trade options again and drafting well and for needs while phasing out the need for/importance of Lake, Mitchell, Burgoyne, Hale and even Hodge, before challenging the Suns/Port/Dogs around that 2017-2018 mark.

I don't think he'll go to Adelaide tbh. My first point re: health is probably moot considering he'd be paid a pretty penny anyway.

Look, I have no idea about his long-term health, but surely after that scare earlier in the year, a big payday would be in the back of his mind?

I'm not saying he would be thinking about leaving or not, or that I have any medical knowledge whatsoever, but if someone came to me, gave me a contract that was probably 50-60% greater than my current and I had had health issues, I'd at least think about it.
He got better mate. Think of it like a cold that he had and now doesn't have.

Dont think it will happen... but is hawthorns future really that bright?

But Hodge, Mitchell, Sewell, Lewis, Burgoyne, Lake, Gibson, Hale are all pretty much 30+ yrs old next season (Lewis 29). The drop off is coming

But Hodge, Mitchell, Sewell, Lewis, Burgoyne, Lake, Gibson, Hale are all pretty much 30+ yrs old next season (Lewis 29). The drop off is coming

That old core is slowing down but our age groups are quite good. The next below at 22-27 years of age is very strong and we've seen glimpses of youngsters who look like they could become something. No idea whether we could have the same successes we've had now but I'd suggest we're in as good of a position as Adelaide if not better come the future.

The reliance on our older blokes is overstated now anyway. We got by without Mitchell for extended periods, Ditto Lake, Hale was borderline best 22 until this past month, Sewell isn't exactly a lock for a spot either. Burgoyne, Hodge and Mitchell would be the hardest to replace by far but I'm sure we will get by. We've seen glimpses of Langford, Woodward, Hartung and Anderson last year who could make the grade.

every rumour is legit, once its been passed on

The legitimacy probably stems from a few factors

-shock sanderson sacking with a 2 year contract payed out
-clarkson meeting with crows players
-crows officials publicly stating they are looking for a 'premiership coach' with a goal of having the 'best football department in the league'
-clarkson having had many years of coaching history and connections in SA
-caroline wilson reporting it who has a good track record and was spot on about the tippet contact when no other journos were

This obviously doesn't mean anything in concrete but take from it what you will

They will need to top-up again but if any club can top-up and nail it, it's Hawthorn.

Lake, Gibson, Hale, Burgoyne, McEvoy...

Plus they have cash for a star 24-27 (Buddy money), and can easily entice a couple of midrange players at midrange clubs to go there, who will become stars no doubt.

The drop-off will be a step down but expect 2 steps up before long.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back