climate change cure.

Remove this Banner Ad

Essential departments?

They've decided that global warming is real, and are moving some of the people/resources/budget from determining if this is true to working out what to do about it...

The reaction summarises the green-left pretty well I think.

Given the choice between pointing and hand wringing, saying 'there is a problem' and trying to come up with a way to resolve/deal with the problem, they choose to point and whinge...
Do you believe in Climate Change?

So you think we should bring back the Carbon Tax?
Invest more in alternative energy?
I would be shocked if you said yes.
I ain't a fan of the carbon tax as it is designed to redistribute wealth and is a tax on humanity.
There is nothing wrong with alternative energy sources if it is cost effective.

I ain't a fan of the carbon tax as it is designed to redistribute wealth and is a tax on humanity.
There is nothing wrong with alternative energy sources if it is cost effective.
Don't agree on your first response but you didn't address the word 'invest'.
Would create jobs which is good for those unemployed.
Sadly this Government only giving lip service.

That is what happens when Government cuts funding to essential departments.
Maybe they should send article to Barnaby or Hunt?

I would have thought a cost benefit analysis would be considered before providing an opinion. So out of interest, what was there deliverables and what were their deliverables going forward?

or is it just an ideology?

the carbon tax was a big fat lazy designed tax that didn't consider the simple fact that different jurisdictions require different power generation solution. It also didn't consider the fact it was a tax on Australian production and thus favoured foreign jurisdictions......meaning jobs and pollution are exported.

You could argue it creates jobs here but so does ripping out street lights and reverting to candles requiring manual labour to be lit. Surely productivity is the measure of success, especially given there is more work than human resources available (mobilisation is the issue).

A carbon tax is an activity tax. You create CO2 when you do something worthwhile for the economy and society. The price of oil is relatively cheap now, and will stay cheap. Peak oil doomesdayers are pushing out their gloom predictions now. US gone from importer to exporter. Remember all that white stuff coming out of power stations is steam.

A carbon tax is an activity tax. You create CO2 when you do something worthwhile for the economy and society. The price of oil is relatively cheap now, and will stay cheap. Peak oil doomesdayers are pushing out their gloom predictions now. US gone from importer to exporter. Remember all that white stuff coming out of power stations is steam.
`WTF is an activity tax ?

Cow farts 4 the economy yo

The CSIRO believes that the science is settled so they don't need 350 climate scientists any more!

http://joannenova.com.au/2016/02/cs...s-to-go-since-its-beyond-debate-who-needs-em/

This is hilarious. These guys have been hoisted on their own petard. There is allegedly 97% consensus about global warming so why do we need hundreds of highly paid public servants, in a country that has only 0.32 per cent of the world's population to tell us what they have already "proven".

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is hilarious. These guys have been hoisted on their own petard. There is allegedly 97% consensus about global warming so why do we need hundreds of highly paid public servants, in a country that has only 0.32 per cent of the world's population to tell us what they have already "proven".

as was explained to me yesterday- australia apparently plays a significant role in southern hemisphere measurements. the CSIRO is one of the only organisations doing it. the research has nothing to do with "proving" AGW. it's about improving understanding about what is being impacted and how/why. nobody is setting out to prove the AGW hypothesis in 2016.

Essential departments?

They've decided that global warming is real, and are moving some of the people/resources/budget from determining if this is true to working out what to do about it...

The reaction summarises the green-left pretty well I think.

Given the choice between pointing and hand wringing, saying 'there is a problem' and trying to come up with a way to resolve/deal with the problem, they choose to point and whinge...
There goes the argument from anti since nutters that man made climate change is a conspiracy by evil scientists to get government funding.

as was explained to me yesterday- australia apparently plays a significant role in southern hemisphere measurements. the CSIRO is one of the only organisations doing it. the research has nothing to do with "proving" AGW. it's about improving understanding about what is being impacted and how/why. nobody is setting out to prove the AGW hypothesis in 2016.
That may be true. But they're scientists, so they're evil.
Just ask any man made climate change denier or anti vacc crazy.

Far right/left anti science nutters :rolleyes:
Different sides of the same coin.

Last edited:
as was explained to me yesterday- australia apparently plays a significant role in southern hemisphere measurements. the CSIRO is one of the only organisations doing it. the research has nothing to do with "proving" AGW. it's about improving understanding about what is being impacted and how/why

You will be pleased to know that after the changes there will still be 355 staff in the Oceans and Atmosphere department. In my experience proposals like this to cut some jobs, redeploy staff and create new positions are really about removing the deadwood. Government departments have more than most.

http://www.csiro.au/en/News/News-re...IRO?featured=27F6622E2C954B819F5E36ECE881FA68

nobody is setting out to prove the AGW hypothesis in 2016.

The IPCC has had precisely that agenda since its inception. It is a political body that has attempted control the entire climate research debate, from funding through peer review and publications. But scientists know that you can't prove a hypothesis. You can only find supporting evidence for it - or falsify it. No matter how elegant the hypothesis or appealing to New Age numpties, if the hypothesis does not agree with the observed data then it is wrong.

You will be pleased to know that after the changes there will still be 355 staff in the Oceans and Atmosphere department.

yeah, i made a comment about this on facebook too. but not being involved and never having worked there i got my arse handed to me by someone with actual expertise! the open letter sent to the CSIRO seems to suggests that their work is important to researchers around the world.

The IPCC has had precisely that agenda since its inception.

incorrect. the role of the IPCC is to dumb down published research so that policymakers can make informed decisions about how best to mitigate and/or limit changes in climate.

yeah, i made a comment about this on facebook too. but not being involved and never having worked there i got my arse handed to me by someone with actual expertise! the open letter sent to the CSIRO seems to suggests that their work is important to researchers around the world.

They had 420 staff in Oceans and Atmosphere and after the changes it will be 355. What are the concrete and measurable benefits of employing hundreds of these highly paid scientists? Why not 50 staff? Are they manning a weather station each?

incorrect. the role of the IPCC is to dumb down published research so that policymakers can make informed decisions about how best to mitigate and/or limit changes in climate.

Not it's not. The IPCC distorts the science by its agenda to promote the AGW hypothesis over any other theory. In addition, the policymakers ie politicians who have agendas to impose taxes on carbon dioxide, have the final say in the wording of the summaries that are released to the media. But no matter how politicised the process we need to recognise the science. If the hypothesis does not agree with the observed data then the hypothesis is wrong.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back