Coaching Roundabout - Coaching structure for 2015 finalised

Remove this Banner Ad

Doesn't seem to be any thread for this topic, just bits and pieces scattered across other threads.

I'd say it's almost certain that we'll be looking to find at least one new assistant coach next season, possibly/probably two.

Vacancies:
Adelaide senior coach
Melbourne heir apparent/senior assistant
Gold Coast senior coach?

Rumours:
Goodwin to Melbourne
Goodwin to Adelaide
Bassett to Adelaide
Harvey to replace Goodwin

Personally I'd be talking to Sanderson today. Goodwin is almost certainly gone one way or another, and although I don't think Sanderson was an amazing coach, he was certainly a good coach, certainly knew how to structure a forwardline and seems like the sort of guy who would have learnt an absolute truckload from his first outing.

Sanderson in as forward coach, Bassett either off to Adelaide or midfield coach and Goodwin either off to Melbourne or off to Adelaide.

Because he never says anything remotely insightful or impressive.

Prior to this year we were still basically all run and gun so it is not like there is much in terms of structural contribution that I'd bother crediting to a midfield coach.

When are the media darlings and anointed coaches in waiting ever actually good? It's all biased bullshit and second hand opinion from equally biased primary sources. All of the best coaches who got their first appointments in the last 7 or so years have all been relative 'unknowns', think Clarkson, Lyon and Hinkley. The Scotts have turned out well but neither were front runners from what I recall.

I can't say that Goodwin is a good or a bad coach I just don't understand why there is so much fuss because the fuss would be based on his communication with the public and I think it has been totally unimpressive.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Doesn't seem to be any thread for this topic, just bits and pieces scattered across other threads.

I'd say it's almost certain that we'll be looking to find at least one new assistant coach next season, possibly/probably two.

Vacancies:
Adelaide senior coach
Melbourne heir apparent/senior assistant
Gold Coast senior coach?

Rumours:
Goodwin to Melbourne
Goodwin to Adelaide
Bassett to Adelaide
Harvey to replace Goodwin

I was at a luncheon in Perth last week where an EFC club board member (and former games record holding legend) was guest speaker and when asked about James Hird, his response was interesting (albeit long) to say the least. He said that in what he describes as a perfect world, HE would like to see a coaching panel that consisted of Hird, Thompson AND Mark Harvey, so your rumour is not altogether pie in the sky BTG. You would think that he would know something, even though he claimed that he is not on "the inside" when it came to coaching appointments.

wowee. what will Adelaide do now then?

yeah i'd be looking at Sanderson as well
he might go and work with Buckley at the Pies though

Could GC go with Sanderson?

Ablett would be a fan... I assume. And I'd think that Ablett holds as much clout up there as anyone save Blight.

I was going to say Blight might also like him, but they were ships passing in the night at GFC.

I was at a luncheon in Perth last week where an EFC club board member (and former games record holding legend) was guest speaker and when asked about James Hird, his response was interesting (albeit long) to say the least. He said that in what he describes as a perfect world, HE would like to see a coaching panel that consisted of Hird, Thompson AND Mark Harvey, so your rumour is not altogether pie in the sky BTG. You would think that he would know something, even though he claimed that he is not on "the inside" when it came to coaching appointments.
So Simon Madden doesn't fully support Hird? Blow me down with a feather.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back