Coaching Roundabout - Coaching structure for 2015 finalised

Remove this Banner Ad

Hird will no doubt answer each question with class as he has throughout this entire mess. Wouldn't surprise me if Harvs got a bit shirty. Although he'll likely be told to be on his best behaviour in hist first outing back :D

Would love to see Hird answering questions, and Harvs to enter from the side and crash tackle the first reporter that gets out of line.

Hird AND Thompson is our best team as long as it's clear Hird is in charge over Thompson.

I get the feeling Thompson is slightly unhinged and has an unnatural need for the Essendon top job.

Any person's involvement at the MFC should be stricken from the record as simply having never happened. Any person who leaves there should be judged only on what they did before they arrived there and what they have done since. e.g. Colin Sylvia is rubbish, Mitch Clark isn't that good, but not that bad, Paul Roos is an excellent coach and Mark Neeld is a great assistant coach

He could be thinking his best bet is to go and get another senior coaching job then come back to Essendon when/if Hird eventually has to step down. He's waiting to see if it happens this year. Otherwise he'll do a Malthouse, accept some directors role and jump at the first coaching job that comes along.

His speech couldn't make it any clearer, he doesn't want to step back to assistant, let alone take a back room or peripheral role. Though he still clearly loves the club.

Unfortunately, Hird, Harvs and Bomber won't all fit in the coaches box the way they want to.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He could be thinking his best bet is to go and get another senior coaching job then come back to Essendon when/if Hird eventually has to step down. He's waiting to see if it happens this year. Otherwise he'll do a Malthouse, accept some directors role and jump at the first coaching job that comes along.

His speech couldn't make it any clearer, he doesn't want to step back to assistant, let alone take a back room or peripheral role. Though he still clearly loves the club.

Unfortunately, Hird, Harvs and Bomber won't all fit in the coaches box the way they want to.

Gold Coast and Bulldogs have gone cold on him though. I think if he wants to stay in football he might have to swallow a bit of pride and take a reduced role at Essendon.

Out of all the stupid questions about bomber, I can't believe nobody asked him why he wasn't at the B&F,

Farking media.. a presser to announce that we have appointed Mark Harvey (whom I respect in an assistant coaching capacity immensely) and the media spend 10 minutes of the 11 talking about bomber Thompson.

And it just confirms why the club needs to make a clean break.. or it will be an issue for the next six month.. although it sounds like Bomber is coming back so I guess we'll have to ride it out.

Farking media.. a presser to announce that we have appointed Mark Harvey (whom I respect in an assistant coaching capacity immensely) and the media spend 10 minutes of the 11 talking about bomber Thompson.

And it just confirms why the club needs to make a clean break.. or it will be an issue for the next six month.. although it sounds like Bomber is coming back so I guess we'll have to ride it out.
However will we cope.

Disagree.

There are a lot of things the club have done in the past two years which, on face value, are likely to increase media scrutiny. A lot.

Not sure why we'd suddenly change tack now and not make an appointment now because of how the media are going to run with it.

Let the media ask about it. Bat away the questions. It's not that hard.

I agree with Beerfish in that we'll cope, however I see your point. The media are all becoming paparazzi, they want to belabor a point over and over again in the hope of getting a reaction or slip up, rather than engage in an interesting discussion about a topic.

TBH of late I've enjoyed watching the internal interviewer on Bomber TV a lot more than the general media.

rines is right in the sense that yes, the media and their paparazzi ways will try and make an issue of it.

However, we don't seem to have let that dictate our decision making on the whole, so why start now?

rines is right in the sense that yes, the media and their paparazzi ways will try and make an issue of it.

However, we don't seem to have let that dictate our decision making on the whole, so why start now?

I agree with you. I'm just looking at it from a fans perspective, it's not enjoyable to watch any more, and I can understand why coaches become more prickly and less open with the media.

I agree with you. I'm just looking at it from a fans perspective, it's not enjoyable to watch any more, and I can understand why coaches become more prickly and less open with the media.
Yes, one thing is for sure- Malthouse might be an old grouch and pretty unlikable, but I wasn't unhappy to see him give Stevo the short shrift when he did.

Whether Thompson remains at the club or not it isn't going to change the media speculating about the coaching arrangements at Essendon until such times as there's been a tribunal hearing and a verdict reached (assuming it gets that far).

That said the further the club can manage to keep Thompson away from the media the better they'll be. He's a unique character and some of his actions/words can be quite bizarre at times which whether he intends it or not create confusion. I don't think it's any coincidence that talk about coaching at Essendon settled down whilst he was overseas

Remove this Banner Ad

Back