News Coaching Thread: The Hardwick Era

Remove this Banner Ad

Not sure about Dusty
Has the scent of a Malceski
Actually not too fussed about who we get as coach but its fairly obvious Dew's plan message isn't filtering through to the playing group
Last Saturday and the game against Carlton were worse than the early years because we just expected to get belted every week and any decent showing was a gift
We have the right to expect much more now
We have to find out if a new coach can mould the current group into a consistent team

Last edited:
Not sure about Dusty
Has the sent of a Malceski
Actually not too fussed about who we get as coach but its fairly obvious Dew's plan message isn't filtering through to the playing group
Last Saturday and the game against Carlton were worse than the early years because we just expected to get belted every week and any decent showing was a gift
We have the right to expect much more now
We have to find out if a new coach can mould the current group into a consistent team
Fair enough. We do expect more as fans now. And Saturday was appalling.

I would compare the Suns to a team like Fremantle. Reckon they are in a similar boat: always trying to be relevant and consistent.

This year they have belted the Hawks. But have been done big by Giants (70 points) and a few other teams by around 50 points like Bulldogs and Lions, plus a few 40 point losses and some very narrow victories.

Their percentage is the same as ours with the same amount of points.

I’m not thrilled with Dew and the team this year, and had grand hopes of finals like we all did. We have some good games and some poor games and some ok games. It’s frustrating.

But other teams are similarly floundering and the media doesn’t seem to care as much. Maybe their fans are just as upset? No idea.

Any other news?
Has this just come to light after the weekend?
Put on high notice after Carlton game papers stamped after Collingwood.
So l'm told. Afl really pissed off with 2 massive opportunities and a National audience and they believe it could not have been worse.
Word is Hardwick is a perfect fit.
So l'm told

On CPH2333 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Fact is, football is a ruthless business and everything comes down to wins and losses at the end of the day. No matter how likable the coach is.
Yes, under Dew there has been cultural change and improvement, but compare this year v this time last year. Has there been improvement that they are taking the next step? The wins and losses are the same.

Footy has evolved and become faster, and the game plan under Dew just seems to be about 5 years in the past.

The gap between the best and the worst seems to be vast.

So l'm told. Afl really pissed off with 2 massive opportunities and a National audience and they believe it could not have been worse.
So l'm told

It most definitely could not have been worse
No excuses
We needed to come out and show we were set to rip oppositions apart after the bye but instead we get the same flaccid footy we get every year
I never know whether coaches win finals or not but you can't argue with 3 grand finals wins
That's special and Hardwick obviously knows what it takes
I think he is the coach we should have
I rate him above Buckley and Hinkley

Footy has evolved and become faster
Which is why I was surprised we let Markov go
But I guess I shouldn't have been given Dew has slavishly adhered to the contested ball plan
Sure he's not the most skilful but he's as brave as a honey badger and can burst midfields apart with his speed
And with Weller and Budarick under an injury cloud at the time
I've said before you can train anything but not speed

So l'm told

Evans is right off apparently. Heard all his excuses 3 times over and is not buying it anymore. AFL house want a Coach with past success and profile.
Harwick 2 Dew 0.

So l'm told
I'm not suggesting this will happen but I'm curious if there are plans in place should this occur... what if we beat Port Adelaide this weekend? Does that change anything or are his cards irreversibly stamped from what you're hearing?

I'm not suggesting this will happen but I'm curious if there are plans in place should this occur... what if we beat Port Adelaide this weekend? Does that change anything or are his cards irreversibly stamped from what you're hearing?
That's it l've got nothing more. Apparently Wilson is on the money if that helps.

only thing that would be concerning would be this.

Chief executive Brendon Gale indicated recently the club would likely replace McQualter with a first-time coach given the trend that has seen only Mick Malthouse win a premiership in the last 20 years as a coach with previous senior experience.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think Hardwick would be much better than Dew, however he is a systems coach that is very inflexible on match day. Did he get lucky to come across a new an innovative game plan via his assistants like caracella? or is he flexible enough to change with the moving tide. It's why despite being a 3x premiership coach, I actually think Hinkley is a better fit due to reinventing the same club 3x with success (although no flags).

I also think it's imperative to move on dew now whilst the young stars have an extra year left on their contracts (instead of next year where they'd all depart with a coaching change). In addition, you want a quality experienced coach at the helm with all the academy talent coming through in the next couple of years, so that talent isn't wasted.

Not for us Jen. We need someone that will make us take the next step.
Finals was a given from all the talk coming from the club.
Now it's a pipe dream unless we win every game
It was Emerald and Evans and Co are livid with what's going on especially with the shortest injury list in the competition. Any support he had left disappeared after Saturday night.
So l'm told

I think Hardwick would be much better than Dew, however he is a systems coach that is very inflexible on match day. Did he get lucky to come across a new an innovative game plan via his assistants like caracella? or is he flexible enough to change with the moving tide. It's why despite being a 3x premiership coach, I actually think Hinkley is a better fit due to reinventing the same club 3x with success (although no flags).

I also think it's imperative to move on dew now whilst the young stars have an extra year left on their contracts (instead of next year where they'd all depart with a coaching change). In addition, you want a quality experienced coach at the helm with all the academy talent coming through in the next couple of years, so that talent isn't wasted.
Ken's wife would love that.

Not for us Jen. We need someone that will make us take the next step.
Finals was a given from all the talk coming from the club.
Now it's a pipe dream unless we win every game
But how do you know that Hardwick will make us to take the next step? Plenty of examples it did not happen with a coach who reached the top already. Do Saints look now better under Lyon than last year under Ratten? It does not look like. Even now, Ratten looks like coaching better than Clarko did early in the season.

A new coach coming in? Yes, most probably it's time. But who will be the coach should not be forgone conclusion, IMO. Only when Richmond surrounded Hardwick with new assistant coaches and getting Prestia, Nankervis, Caddy they turned 100+ loss in the last round to premiership next year. Only 4 weeks ago Hardwick was exhausted, spent force according to himself, in a need of break, re-charge. He was in charge for 14 years. Does he still have the same drive, can he do it again with limited resources and without great assistant coaches (most probably as they are difficult to attract to go to GC)? How would Hardwick feel going from basically one of the richest clubs to the club with smallest budget and with AFL counting and approving every dollar.

Kingsley type would be my choice or even Pyke type. Someone who got experience and drive to achieve ultimate success. It happens rarely to climb mountain twice with different clubs. Magpies went for experienced assistant coach. It worked out well for them.

Last edited:
It was Emerald and Evans and Co are livid with what's going on especially with the shortest injury list in the competition. Any support he had left disappeared after Saturday night.
So l'm told

I must admit that I've had a soft spot for him because of how bad the club was when he came in.
"Give him a go" I used to tell everyone who gave me stick about the results.
This year I wasn't able to watch the Carlton game live. Watched it on Kayo and turned it off at half time. First time ever.
Haven't walked out of the stadium yet but was close against the Pies.
I think it's time

But how do you know that Hardwick will make us to take the next step? Plenty of examples it did not happen with a coach who reached the top already. Do Saints look now better under Lyon than last year under Ratten? It does not look like. Even now, Ratten looks like coaching better than Clarko did early in the season.

A new coach coming in? Yes, most probably it's time. But who will be the coach should not be forgone conclusion, IMO. Only when Richmond surrounded Hardwick with new assistant coaches and getting Prestia, Nankervis, Caddy they turned 100+ loss in the last round to premiership next year. Only 4 weeks ago Hardwick was exhausted, spent force according to himself, in a need of break, re-charge. He was in charge for 14 years. Does he still have the same drive, can he do it again with limited resources and without great assistant coaches (most probably as they are difficult to attract to go to GC)? How would Hardwick feel going from basically one of the richest clubs to the club with smallest budget and with AFL counting and approving every dollar.

Kingsley type would be my choice or even Pyke type. Someone who got experience and drive to achieve ultimate success. It happens rarely to climb mountain twice with different clubs. Magpies went for experienced assistant coach. It worked out well for them.
Nice rant.
I didn't mention anyone let alone Hardwick.
We need someone to take us to the next step.
Dew isn't the one

Reckon we have a ready made coach at the Suns. Really enjoy watching the style of play from the Suns VFL team. Josh Drummond has his team playing a fast attacking style and scoring big. You will notice also they chip the ball around in the forward line making scoring easier, something the Dew led team doesn’t do much. Instead they bomb it down to poor Max King who is getting crucified and losing form.

Josh has been in the system about as long as Craig McRae, so he is not raw.

Reckon also the club had a hand in Dew coaching from the boundary and when available, being accompanied by Josh.

One of the major reasons Hardwick left was he needed to move on from Richmond and a major part of that was the break up of "Mrs Hardwick" and his new partner a Richmond staffer.
He was burnt out at Richmond not with football.
So l'm told

The coaching thing confuses the hell out of me. I have no idea how important they actually are but I suspect it’s more important to have the team around them right. And maybe it’s true that one guy might have the right stuff to get part way there while another has the edge to go higher. I don’t know.

The worrying thing is how few do it twice at different clubs, and the last guy to do that (Matthews) has freely downplayed the importance of the coach 🤷🏻‍♂️

I think we definitely switch coaches and that’s fair, but I also think Dew can thank (not) whoever made the call that Rankine was not worth the money. No doubt the same gameplan, same personnel sits at 10-5 and inside the eight with Rankine in our forward line. The difference between a positive narrative and a negative narrative.

The coaching thing confuses the hell out of me. I have no idea how important they actually are but I suspect it’s more important to have the team around them right. And maybe it’s true that one guy might have the right stuff to get part way there while another has the edge to go higher. I don’t know.

The worrying thing is how few do it twice at different clubs, and the last guy to do that (Matthews) has freely downplayed the importance of the coach 🤷🏻‍♂️

I think we definitely switch coaches and that’s fair, but I also think Dew can thank (not) whoever made the call that Rankine was not worth the money. No doubt the same gameplan, same personnel sits at 10-5 and inside the eight with Rankine in our forward line. The difference between a positive narrative and a negative narrative.
Can't like this enough

Remove this Banner Ad

Back