List Mgmt. COLLINGWOOD Trade and F/A Discussion 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Picking people on pre Xmas training form is fraught with danger. Real Nick Hider and Chad Liddell areas

Possibly but that’s thus far. We shall see in the last month prior to the deadline. It is just my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Above comments extremely very quick to judge, also he is going from a amateur league (which is probably best in vic behind VFL to be fair) to a elite standard lol he's not going to become tom stewart straight away, disappointing is a strange word to use to be honest
I don't think someone's opinion equates to being "quick to judge" - Sofronidis either adds something to the list or doesn't.

From the reports I've read from the different track watchers it seems that Bytel and Eyre might be a nose in front of the rest at this stage.

Sullivan looks an interesting prospect with an excellent form line in the VFL. Funnily enough his physical makeup looks almost identical to the bloke we are trying to replace in Adams.

Is Ned Long being looked at for our VFL team only?

May the best men win.
I agree with the thought that Sullivan = Adams?, in which case Ned Long is an interesting watch.

I don’t mind Holmes, and I reckon he’ll be a quality player if he isn’t already.

Didn’t like how he turned up his toes for a lot of games this year, when the going got tough. Especially when the Cats were crying for a spark in the midfield. Hence why we saw Stewart in there at times.

Maybe he was carrying something?

I’m saying that, I’ll happily wrap my arms around him if he decides to come to us.

He’ll be a close watch for me this year.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Perhaps a tad harsh expecting a 20 year old with 30-40 games under his belt to be "the man" when the rest of the midfield was crumbling under pressure.

Above comments extremely very quick to judge, also he is going from a amateur league (which is probably best in vic behind VFL to be fair) to a elite standard lol he's not going to become tom stewart straight away, disappointing is a strange word to use to be honest

Sofronidis is 23 and a half… it’s not the age in which a club typically signs someone raw… he doesn’t have the grace to develop his body and fitness at the rate a first year 18 year old draftee does

He needs to show he could (as depth) adequately come in and play senior footy late in 2024

Noble did, Johnson did, mihocek did… all also from outside the AFL system

Otherwise taking him is a wasted list spot.

I think you have to give some of these players time which we have to assess them.

A player out of system may struggle with heavy work load but then will click later. It might also take them a little while to click even in simulation.

Seen many summer champions who did nothing come actual season and others who have gone the other way once the action kicks off.

I wonder if they will ask anyone not to worry about coming back after the Xmas break, it may seem harsh but if you under the spotlight you need to at least shine or attempt to.

I said before I think Eyre has been the one to be seen doing this, weekend training and coming in early to training,that is what I want to see someone having a proper crack.

If his body holds up I would give a chance as I think he has been going about it the right way, SS has been the least impressive of the group. I would certainly not be picking Sofa over Eyre on desire alone he may have some traits that are AFL relevant but if not willing to show them or unable to show them then why persist with him.

I hope Skipwell is wrong and we do change a few after Xmas.

His mail is that we’ll sign them. He was told the same with Sofra a few weeks ago but that has cooled. Unsure with Teakle.
Right.
So its more of an 'at the moment' type vibe.
Which makes more sense then declaring winners right now!

Things can change (which they already have).

No need to do anything until the last day of the period....or if another club comes knocking (like Steene last year).
Thanks for the info.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wonder if they will ask anyone not to worry about coming back after the Xmas break, it may seem harsh but if you under the spotlight you need to at least shine or attempt to.

I said before I think Eyre has been the one to be seen doing this, weekend training and coming in early to training,that is what I want to see someone having a proper crack.

If his body holds up I would give a chance as I think he has been going about it the right way, SS has been the least impressive of the group. I would certainly not be picking Sofa over Eyre on desire alone he may have some traits that are AFL relevant but if not willing to show them or unable to show them then why persist with him.

I hope Skipwell is wrong and we do change a few after Xmas.

Why do you think he's the only one doing this?
Because he posts on socials....so therefore the others aren't doing extra work?

So really, the trick here is to just rock up at my local gym and have someone take a 10 second video of me doing something (i'll even get the recording done on a tuesday just so i can release it sat & sun) and then i'm all good!

Lets just wait and see what happens when it gets a bit serious after the break and proper match sim rolls around.....
As pointed out earlier, things can change over a few weeks.

Heck, Jen & everyone was all aboard the Briskett train (or whatever his name was) a few years back......

Why do you think he's the only one doing this?
Because he posts on socials....so therefore the others aren't doing extra work?

So really, the trick here is to just rock up at my local gym and have someone take a 10 second video of me doing something (i'll even get the recording done on a tuesday just so i can release it sat & sun) and then i'm all good!

Lets just wait and see what happens when it gets a bit serious after the break and proper match sim rolls around.....
As pointed out earlier, things can change over a few weeks.

Heck, Jen & everyone was all aboard the Briskett train (or whatever his name was) a few years back......
Have you been following any of the 3 training reports we are fortunate enough to get on here on a regular basis or any of Jen,s training clips because if you have you would see that Eyre is indeed doing the work.

Another thing you may have noticed is that Sam is doing a very good interpretation of the invisible man,I have been worried about Sam,s size but you could get past that if he was showing anything but he has not so far.

He has another chance tomorrow it probably should be his last unless he pulls his finger out.

Have you been following any of the 3 training reports we are fortunate enough to get on here on a regular basis or any of Jen,s training clips because if you have you would see that Eyre is indeed doing the work.

Another thing you may have noticed is that Sam is doing a very good interpretation of the invisible man,I have been worried about Sam,s size but you could get past that if he was showing anything but he has not so far.

He has another chance tomorrow it probably should be his last unless he pulls his finger out.
Reckon they'll give everyone until the deadline, but there is a clear front runner.
Being harshly delisted, then fighting to earn a place on st kilda's list (in the same way as he is now) before his injury and they choose to go another way would sting, so Eyre clearly is fighting like his life depends on it. Aiming to keep getting better, doing all the extras to give him the best chance.

The club just wants to make sure he has his body right.

Firstly, we are very lucky to get any vision & reports from Jen and co.
So everyone appreciates that.

To respond to your comments.....
There would be a total of, what, maybe 8 mins of footage (2 of which is guys stretching) for a session that lasts over 2 hours.
We know Jen has her favs (don't we all), so the videos tend to focus on them and general play.
Lots of various groups going on as well, so unless they are in that group being filmed, you won't see them.

The club videos are promotional....so only focus on main stream fan favs for the most part.

You've only seen Eyre because of the structure of the drills we've been doing.
I'm not as convinced as some are with him at this stage (more than happy to be proven wrong once i see something tangible in more than just a cut down skills exercise).

But to suggest others are behind because they "are not on camera" and "don't post on socials" is probably missing the mark a bit i would think.

Like i said, lets wait and see what happens when it gets a bit more serious and full ground style match sim in Jan.

Who invented the work ethic issue ?
I’m going off of what I’ve read, and have no clue but it does check out. Generally if you’re post 18-19, and you haven’t been picked up it’s usually due to a lack of talent, or work ethic. I understand he has talent…can you just switch on work ethic, not anymore than you can talent. I see this as Sier type risk, carry someone on your list for the better part of a decade in the hope that he’ll deliver. In all fairness to Sier he was an important cog in an almost premiership.

I’d pass

Clearly, posting on social media isn’t what will get someone selected.

It’s true that videos mostly have snippets of different drills and stretching/warming up.
In the NFL pre-season teams have up to 93 players trying to get one of the 53 spots on the roster. Videos and reports follow much the same format, and opinions formed on who is mostly likely to make the cut are generally quite accurate.

I wouldn't be reading too much into a couple of weeks training, no real match sim, a few bits of footage and a few supporters just sharing their opinion on what they've seen.

I think the coaches will give all these players every opportunity to prove themselves & are no doubt looking at different things in each player that we couldn't possibly know or pick up from a few snippets of footage.

The last month between mid Jan-mid feb will be the most telling. But doing well pre-christmas is a good first step obviously.
But whomever they choose wont be just based on training. It'll be how they fit into the structure, game plan, and inside the 4 walls, environment etc

I wouldn't be reading too much into a couple of weeks training, no real match sim, a few bits of footage and a few supporters just sharing their opinion on what they've seen.

I think the coaches will give all these players every opportunity to prove themselves & are no doubt looking at different things in each player that we couldn't possibly know or pick up from a few snippets of footage.
They would also be assessing how the specific traits of each would fit into our game plan.
There's plenty of time for that.

In the NFL pre-season teams have up to 93 players trying to get one of the 53 spots on the roster. Videos and reports follow much the same format, and opinions formed on who is mostly likely to make the cut are generally quite accurate.
In the NFL preseason, what you listen for is the “jungle drums beating”, that is the consistent positive reports about how a player is showing out. Anyone can have an off day, but if someone is making the grade or finally healthy and showing they are at the required standard, then you will get recurring optimistic views of a player from multiple sources which accrue over time.

I don’t have first-hand access to these guys, and I haven’t been at training in any capacity this offseason, but the consistent, unanimous reporting around Sofronidis has been that he’s been invisible. It’s wisdom of the crowd stuff, but it’s also highly plausible given his physique and the step up he will be experiencing going from VAFA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back