List Mgmt. COLLINGWOOD Trade and F/A Discussion 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycett will meet with Collingwood this week.
Please no. He was so bad at Port that they benched him for parts of this season. Just imagine him rocking up and seeing a few of the boys. "So, um, remember that game we played in a few years ago - I think it was 2018 - and you know ... oh yeah, I forget, sorry."

How about this guy pick 14 2018 draft
DELISTED Adelaide midfielder Jackson Hately says he was axed despite hitting career-best form and believes he can "match it with anyone" at AFL level after being starved of opportunity.

Hately, a first-round pick in 2018, started his career at Greater Western Sydney before requesting a trade back home to South Australia ahead of 2021.
The 22-year-old played 14 AFL games through his first two seasons at the Crows but managed only one – as the sub – in 2023.

Speaking on Trade Exchange on Continental Tyres AFL Trade Radio on Tuesday, Hately said his lack of opportunity came despite showing the strongest form of his career in the SANFL.

"I had one game as the sub where I played a quarter of footy. It's definitely the best I've been as a footballer this year, but the least amount of games I've played," he said.

"It's funny how it happens sometimes. I certainly didn't lose any confidence with what I can do at AFL level."
Hately made the SANFL Team of the Year, averaging 24.4 disposals at 85 per cent efficiency, along with 6.8 tackles and 4.5 clearances per game.

But opportunity in the Crows' engine room proved limited, with transformed captain Jordan Dawson moving into the midfield from half-back and revived veteran Matt Crouch claiming an onball position late in the season.
"This year, the opportunities weren't really there. We had a very healthy midfield group and a list that was playing quite well," Hately said.

"I feel extremely confident that I can still play good AFL footy. I feel like I have played good AFL footy in the past. This year the opportunities didn't quite come, but I'm still super confident."
Hately, a big-bodied midfielder standing at 191cm, believes he can be as damaging as any inside midfielder in the competition when played in his natural role.

"I've only played three or four AFL games as an inside mid, but I felt like I went pretty well in those games and feel like I can match it with anyone in there, so I feel like that's my best spot," he said.
Hately could be snapped up as a delisted free agent from November, while the Supplemental Selection Period (SSP) has proven a hit for players looking to revive their careers.

Oleg Markov became a premiership player at Collingwood on Saturday after finding his way to the club through that method ahead of the 2023 season.
I'd be taking him. Cut some of the VFL players who clearly are not making it and top up on blokes who have shown something in the state leagues. At worst, depth. At best, Oleg Markov 2.0.

I'd be spending stuff all, but you still might add a few. If you compare it to last year, you'd still look at Hill, Frampton and Markov, but wouldn't be interested in McStay or Mitchell, as there aren't the holes to fill where you'd spend that money.

You also need to beware that older 30 plus players can quickly fall off the cliff.

Geelong are an example of it and our 30 plus list is quite sizeable.

Who realistically can we already add to the GF team?
McStay, Adams, Noble, McInness, Macrae, Krueger & Johnson we know, and all can remain
Hopeful of Ryan, Allen, Harrison & Dean progressing. Keep them all
Not too sure with Carmichael, Bianco, Kelly & Wilson.
I’ve got full faith in Graeme Wright leading the team. His track record is exemplary.
Could be leaving. He doesn't like the contract we've given him.

Kelly should be out the door. Had his chance, missed it.

Who realistically can we already add to the GF team?
McStay, Adams, Noble, McInness, Macrae, Krueger & Johnson we know, and all can remain
Hopeful of Ryan, Allen, Harrison & Dean progressing. Keep them all
Not too sure with Carmichael, Bianco, Kelly & Wilson.
I’ve got full faith in Graeme Wright leading the team. His track record is exemplary.

Rumour on EBnW that J.Elliott is considering retirement. Anyone heard similar?

I'd be taking him. Cut some of the VFL players who clearly are not making it and top up on blokes who have shown something in the state leagues. At worst, depth. At best, Oleg Markov 2.0.
Not the worst idea I've seen posted. If his best/preferred position is as an inside-mid and he's prepared to work on his game in the VFL then he could become the Titch/Tayz replacement we'll be looking for in a year or two (I see MacRae as more an outside mid, so no competition there) - can't say I've ever watched him play, so pls excuse my ignorance.

You are correct. However, sponsors certainly place an expectation on the AFL that the trade period will not be flat. The AFL will also not deliver a flat trade period because if it is flat they slide out of the news and become irrelevant. So my point is, they will be encouraging movement.
The sponsor will get plenty of air time because bugger all else will be happening. What do you mean by "encouraging movement" Do you think blokes Like Wright care less about spicing up the trade period for the sake of the sponsors? I'm sure they couldn't give 2 shits. Blokes like Hutchy have a lot to answer for imo, trying to turn this into 'entertainment' of sorts. Its just not that at all

Looks like that new rule touted that MSD (Johnson/Begg) can stay on the rookie list for another year seems to be approved, so we wont have to upgrade them (if Begg stays of course, I do think they'll give him another contract)
I'm playing the other side of this. If we're looking at Lycett, Begg is not staying. He will be replaced by Richards on the rookie list.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The sponsor will get plenty of air time because bugger all else will be happening. What do you mean by "encouraging movement" Do you think blokes Like Wright care less about spicing up the trade period for the sake of the sponsors? I'm sure they couldn't give 2 shits. Blokes like Hutchy have a lot to answer for imo, trying to turn this into 'entertainment' of sorts. Its just not that at all
Nobody is going to be listening to a trade period with three moves. Sponsors won't fork out big dollars next year if nothing happens. Sponsors have expectations. The AFL will be working their hardest to ensure the product delivers and players keep moving. Eg. handing out draft assistance passages to inject tradable capital into the game, working the secret herbs and spices formula for FA compensation so that can stimulate other trades, etc.

I don't think Wright cares but the AFL does and the AFL will deliver their product. This whole "boring trade period" is ridiculous - it's going to be exciting and big. I can actually see us losing two or three players this year.

God please no Naughton

He's a gun. And does something a lot of modern forwards don't do and that is smash packs.
He's very physical and plays old school style footy great to watch and creates for team mates.
Not talking just getting a hand to the contest he splits packs like bowling balls.

If we are trying to bring in certain players, then I'll trust the club to know what they are doing.
Role players are very important imo.

Agree.

With last years Trade Period just trust the Club they can make the Right Calls/Decision

Nobody is going to be listening to a trade period with three moves. Sponsors won't fork out big dollars next year if nothing happens. Sponsors have expectations. The AFL will be working their hardest to ensure the product delivers and players keep moving. Eg. handing out draft assistance passages to inject tradable capital into the game, working the secret herbs and spices formula for FA compensation so that can stimulate other trades, etc.

I don't think Wright cares but the AFL does and the AFL will deliver their product. This whole "boring trade period" is ridiculous - it's going to be exciting and big. I can actually see us losing two or three players this year.
I agree that the AFL likes to keep itself in the limelight as much as they can. But encouraging clubs to trade more players for the sake of keeping things exciting for the benefit of sponsors is just pure fairyland nonsense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back