HB: Enright, Leppa, Mitchell
C: Lappin, Voss, Hodge
HF: Aka, Buddy, Bartel
F: SJ, Brown, Chapman
Foll: Roughy, Ablett, Black

Int: Selwood, Ling, Burgoyne, Corey

Lions: Voss, Black, Lappin, Aka, Brown, Johnson
* FAB 4...no surprise. They destroyed teams on a weekly basis
* Brown: Brown, Buddy, & Reiwoldt are the clear best forwards of the past decade or so. No Reiwoldt. Easy decision...Brown is in.
* Chris Johnson: Indigenous team of the century, and was a running defender before it became the in thing of the modern area. Tough Tough reliable player who who lift teams

Cats: Ablett, Selwood, Ling, Taylor, Scarlett, Bartel, Chapman, Ling, Corey
* Ablett: Best player of the lot and gets on ball. Could be listed forward if "team balance" was need. Seriously though he is the best midfielder
* Ling: Captain, tagger who wins his own ball and can kick goals...YES PLEASE!!
* SJ: Only player who can match or better AKA for X-factor and big game moments
* Bartel: Brownlow medalist. Best midfield above his head as a forward rotation option
* Chapman: Cant think of many better gut running HF's
* Enright: Exceptional career...great off HB or on the wing
* Corey: Prob the most under-rated Ive listed. Gun Player
* Scarlett: Damn close to being the best FB of the modern era (I think he is)
* Taylor: Can play the intercept/loose man role, can play shut down defense, can play rebounder, can play forward...easy decision
* Selwood: Unlucky not to start, but still a gun midfield bench option. More leadership to the team

Hawks: Roughy, Mitchell, Hodge, Buddy
* Hawks unlucky to have only 4 players I know, but I feel of the 3 teams they are great because of team balance and structures more then a group of key players
* Hodge: VC behind Voss. Exceptional player with versitility.
* Mitchell: Midfielder and HB. Stands up in big games with leadership to burn
* Buddy: First Tall forward picked!!!
* Roughy: Listed as Ruck. can play forward as we know

Overall Ive looked for Leadership with versatility and/or individual brilliance. Only 1 ruck picked I know...but of the 3 teams I dont see Rucks as a strong point. Ottens instead of Corey if you argued the team needs another ruck

Last edited:
You've probably watched the game a few more times than I have, so I'll take your word for it, but stats wise if Ling was on him the entire day, then Shaun was a hell of a lot better at performing under a Ling tag than both Hodge and Mitchell ever were.

yeah fair enough - he wasn't terrible, but he didn't exert much influence really.
Peter though played pretty much a lone hand ..

Essendon 2000 would still dominated this side.

Not surprised the hawks have the lowest representation in this team. Lions had so much individual brilliance but success has become more and more team oriented, through the cats and now the hawks.

Contra to that view the bombers 2000 team must have been based on team brilliance because its hard to remeber more than a handful of stars

You should have just stopped there... Selwood if he performs at his current level for another 4-5 years then maybe you would be correct. As of right now though Voss - Black >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Selwood.

What a load of crap. Selwood has already been in more AA teams then Black and only one less then Voss despite only being midway through his career. Pretty fair indication he is already at a minimum at the same level as them.

Like the team!!

3 premierships each, so you then need to look at home & away record in their respective eras of dominance, and Geelong was simply more dominant in the H&A than Brisbane or Hawthorn were in their periods. And there was a good reason for that....

Stupidity ? Selecting the wrong grand final team ?

Its purely qualification for the main event.

Supercoach scores tell the story at hawthorn. Barely anyone in the top 50 individually but the team as a whole is way ahead of the next supercoach team

What a load of crap. Selwood has already been in more AA teams then Black and only one less then Voss despite only being midway through his career. Pretty fair indication he is already at a minimum at the same level as them.

Geelong players and All Australian selections is not close to a 'fair indication', their over-representation is a massive wank.

As for Selwood already being at least as good if not better than both Voss and Black - LOL.

B: Josh Gibson; Matt Scarlett; Grant Birchall
HB: Corey Enright; Harry Taylor; Luke Hodge
C: Simon Black; Michael Voss; Joel Selwood
HF: Steve Johnson; Lance Franklin; Paul Chapman
F: Cyril Rioli; Jarryd Roughead; Jason Akermanis
R: Brad Ottens; Gary Ablett; Sam Mitchell
I: Shaun Burgoyne; Jimmy Bartel; Nigel Lappin; Justin Leppitch

By team:
Brisbane: 5
Geelong: 9
Hawtorn: 8

There's always a lot of debate regarding the greatest team of the last decade or thereabouts, with Brisbane, Hawthorn & Geelong being the leading candidates. Try to create a hybrid that combines the best of all three.

Which team gets the most inclusions?

Mine:

B: Mal Michael - Matthew Scarlett - Corey Enright
HB: Luke Hodge - Justin Leppitsch - Chris Johnson
C: Nigel Lappin - Michael Voss - Jimmy Bartel
HF: Paul Chapman - Lance Franklin - Jason Akermanis
F: Alistair Lynch - Jarryd Roughead - Steve Johnson
Fol: Brad Ottens - Simon Black - Gary Ablett Jnr

Int: Sam Mitchell - Daniel Bradshaw - Luke Power - Shaun Burgoyne

Brisbane: 10
Geelong: 7
Hawthorn: 5
Good side but I would have Breust before Lynch in the forward pocket.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Geelong players and All Australian selections is not close to a 'fair indication', their over-representation is a massive wank.

As for Selwood already being at least as good if not better than both Voss and Black - LOL.

Yep Selwood clearly didn't deserve any of them and was only included so that the AFL met their 'lets be biased towards Geelong for no apparent reason' quota :drunk:

And I'm sure the Cats were definitely over-represented this year with all of one player (Selwood) in the team.

Yep Selwood clearly didn't deserve any of them and was only included so that the AFL met their 'lets be biased towards Geelong for no apparent reason' quota :drunk:

And I'm sure the Cats were definitely over-represented this year with all of one player (Selwood) in the team.

All Australian selections are decided by a round table of football tragics - Kevin Bartlett, Luke Darcy, Adrian Anderson etc.

Yep, them selecting their team of the year is a 'fair indication' that Selwood has Voss and Black covered. :drunk:

Who's coach? Matthews, Thompson, Scott or Clarkson
Also an interesting question.

Gut says Clarkson.

It's hard to defend logically as they all accomplished something phenomenal, but the sustained brand that he has brought to the Hawks and the ability to get the absolute best out of his players makes him my choice.

Also an interesting question.

Gut says Clarkson.

It's hard to defend logically as they all accomplished something phenomenal, but the sustained brand that he has brought to the Hawks and the ability to get the absolute best out of his players makes him my choice.

This thread suggests he achieved success with less star power than other coaches had

Good side except for ling on the wing.

Would have power/aker/Lewis all ahead of him in that position.
Fair point about Ling- if he is to play in the same team as Mitchell and Hodge,(who he owned) he's not much needed is he?

Maybe the fairest way to decide this is to have as eligible ONLY those players with 3 premierships. That does exclude Buddy and Ablett and Taylor for starters.

Then the only hawk candidates would be:
Lewis
Roughead
Rioli
Hodge
Mitchell
Birchall

And I think there's one I'm missing.
We only have 6 current triple premiership players. Bud could've had 3 if he hadn't pissed off to Sydney.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back