Combined Team: Brisbane 01-03 - Geelong 07-11 - Hawthorn 13-14

Remove this Banner Ad

Essendon 2000 would still dominated this side.
I love how this just slipped through to the keeper. Yeah they would really dominate this combined team of champions wouldn't they, I mean that Essendon side did dominate just the Brisbane side alone a year later.

Oh wait.

Yeah and you meant that out of your respect for Hawthorn. We all know why you made that thread.

It makes little sense why you would post a thread like that and then mention how many overrated players we have in here, actually it does make sense, you're a troll.
Stop being so petulant. I said Hodge was overrated. I don't think he should've won the Norm Smith and because he did he is now being compared to the likes of Judd, Ablett and Riewoldt which is ridiculous. Don't get me wrong, he's a great player but nowhere near the level of what some of the Hawthorn supporters on here are suggesting.

Stop being so petulant. I said Hodge was overrated. I don't think he should've won the Norm Smith and because he did he is now being compared to the likes of Judd, Ablett and Riewoldt which is ridiculous. Don't get me wrong, he's a great player but nowhere near the level of what some of the Hawthorn supporters on here are suggesting.
I've watched the game back 15 times or so and he deserved it. He played multiple positions and dominated in every spot he was.

He kicked goals, he won clearances, he provided rebound and he even helped out deep in defense. Not to mention some of the best tackles he has laid before. He was everywhere.

He also had the highest amount of score involvements on the ground with 13 and for fantasy score lovers he won those too.

Even with Mitchell and Lewis having similar rights to it, he played one of the best all round performances in a grand final I've seen.

Yes Judd and Riewoldt have had better individual careers but he is a champ and will be a hall of famer. To perform like he has after people wrote him off after 3 seasons of having practically no pre-seasons and being injured for alot of 2011 and most of 2012 is a credit to him.

I happily admit Riewoldt and Judd have been better players but the amount of stuff thrown around like glorified spare man in defense and just a HBFer is ridiculous. Maybe some people are over rating his career a little but many are now trying to underrate it moreso to counter it.

Put Rioli before of Chapman every day of the week. Whilst its arguable that Chapman will have the more accomplished career, as a crumbing forward Rioli wins every day of the week and OP's team really needs a crumbing forward.

Put Rioli before of Chapman every day of the week. Whilst its arguable that Chapman will have the more accomplished career, as a crumbing forward Rioli wins every day of the week and OP's team really needs a crumbing forward.
So, you'd drop a Norm Smith medalist who crumbed the winning goal in the 2009 GF?

Bear in mind, in 2007 - 2011 Chappy averaged 29.4 goals a season. In 2013-2014 Rioli averaged 19.5 goals a season. There was little between the output of the two players in terms of goals - 1.45 goals per game v 1.5.

Hawthorn players id select before chapman in their prime -chapman in his prime obviously

hodge, maybe mitchell.

Love to hate geelong player chappy, but Honestly we got the better of him sometimes but he was the guy putting in when his teammates went missing eg 2006

I might be biased but Selwood should be a walk up start to that team. The only midfielder on that list ahead of him is Ablett. While I was too young to remember much detail about the Brisbane team or how they played he's at the very least equal to Voss and Black

Holy hell, settle down mate.

Went easy on you because you said you were too young to remember, but geez.

B: Mal Michael - Matthew Scarlett - Corey Enright
HB: Chris Johnson - Justin Leppitsch - Luke Hodge
C: Nigel Lappin - Michael Voss - Jimmy Bartel
HF: Jason Akermanis - Jonathan Brown - Lance Franklin
F: Alistair Lynch - Jarryd Roughead - Steve Johnson
Fol: Brad Ottens - Simon Black - Gary Ablett Jnr

Int: Sam Mitchell - Joel Selwood - Paul Chapman - Shaun Burgoyne

Brisbane: 9
Geelong: 8
Hawthorn: 5

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not much love for Tom Hawkins up forward, but he won the cats a flag.

Also should include 2008 so everyone can pick Stewie Dew.

Fat guys win flags!

What a load of crap. Selwood has already been in more AA teams then Black and only one less then Voss despite only being midway through his career. Pretty fair indication he is already at a minimum at the same level as them.
No he isn't.

Yeah, I'm as big a Selwood fan as you're likely to find, but he still has some way to go to be considered equal to Voss or Black.

That said, he is certainly on track and if the second half of his career is as good as the first, he may well overtake them.

Besides these threads always being impossible to be impartial on, the only way it could really work would be to pick the "best" team for each club and then weigh each position off against each other.

The only other problem is that while personally my bias will lean me towards all the Brisbane lads, the game in the early 2000s changed dramatically in the statistics department, so guys like Johnson are never gonna look as impressive on paper to a Birchall (noting that IMO CJ is a back pocket and GB is a halfback flank) just because the stats at the different times were substantially different.

What a load of crap. Selwood has already been in more AA teams then Black and only one less then Voss despite only being midway through his career. Pretty fair indication he is already at a minimum at the same level as them.
Post like this should get a mandatory week ban for trolling imo

Black and Voss were the equals of Selwood in terms of hardness and courage and were infinitely more talented when it comes to the classier aspects of the game.

So Chapman has a 2009 Norm Smith as a crumbling forward and nearly won the Norm Smith in 2007 as a crumbing forward as well as kicking a couple of 5 goal bags in finals as a crumbing forward and you want him dropped for Rioli???? the fact he can also get big possessions and take marks unlike Rioli surely adds to why he gets in and not works against him as your post implies.

Besides these threads always being impossible to be impartial on, the only way it could really work would be to pick the "best" team for each club and then weigh each position off against each other.

The only other problem is that while personally my bias will lean me towards all the Brisbane lads, the game in the early 2000s changed dramatically in the statistics department, so guys like Johnson are never gonna look as impressive on paper to a Birchall (noting that IMO CJ is a back pocket and GB is a halfback flank) just because the stats at the different times were substantially different.

Except non of our players individually ranked in the top at supercoach, but the club as a whole was the top by quite a bit

Remove this Banner Ad

Back