Comparison in crowd figures between Giants and West Sydney NRL teams

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
really poor crowds. The AFL constantly had to dial down their expectations and the season the GWS put together did nothing for the popularity of the game in the west.

Really?? Everyone was saying they would get flogged in every game and not win one, they won 2 and were competetive in a few others.

They had an average in Sydney of 10k where everyone was expecting them to get 100 point floggings, a few years ago the NRL's sharks were considered the worst team ever (still winning more games than the giants and were competitive in most and could barely draw 8k to a game, this from a club who is 50 years old playing the dominant code in the state..

You seem absolutely fixated on rugby league, Cos789.

Nothing could be further from the truth.
Last night the AFL and NRL finals went head to head on TV and I switched between the two.
I was fixated on the AFL match because it had the crowd, the atmosphere, the scoring, the physicality, drama and excitement even though I "hate" both teams. In comparison there was no fixation in watching the NRL game. Very quiet even with a length of the field try and I do have connection with Manly.

GWS need to add two or three massive names to there list. Franklin and Judd would be a start.
The AFL should admit the multitude of errors they have made with this club since it was conceived out of big crowds at ANZ stadium in 2006/2007. From this they misread the level of interest. They even thought the people of western sydney would related to Israel Folau (who is a Qlder/Melbournian).
Every stated crowd expectation this season proved to be unachieved - in some cases by a distance.
On field, they managed two wins. One was on the back of the Gold Coast Suns somehow being worse this year then last year. The other win made me look up the definision of the perculiar AFL concept 'tanking'. The losses made the history books.
The AFL do not know humble, but this season has been truelly humbling.

I don't think that story gained the traction that those in rugby league circles would've liked... Nor do I think that many out west would even know what/where Birchgrove Oval is.

Reminds me of a story from about 4 years ago where a Blacktown junior RL club basically claimed that they'd been kicked out of their home ground on which they had a '99 year lease' in favour of Quakers Hill junior AR club.

Said ground was in a favorable position in Blacktown, BUT:
- it was part of the Blacktown showground area that had been earmarked for development
- Blacktown junior RL had already been moved to a new facility with two fields vs their previous one field, a better surface plus a significant upgrade in canteen/changerooms
- Quakers Hill junior AR had been relocated there for one year while their ground with two fields was resurfaced (downgrade to one field and worse facilities)
- the RL club through the media said they'd been kicked out in favour of AR and that AR were getting favourable treatment from the council, after RL were told the ground was going to be bulldozed. The AR club's response was 'if you want just one field and shoddy facilities, you can have it back, we're back to our own ground next year'

The story went quiet when the RL club got called out on their bullshit.

Also in my view the news in sydney that afl balmain club's attempt to use birchgrove oval (rugby league sacred territory) by using false junior participation figures (admitted by them as an error) made people in the west dubious.
NSWAFL wanted to use Callan Park, the council recommended they use Birchgrove as BDFC were moving to the new Callan Park facility. Bolded part always makes me laugh. How much are the ARLC putting in for its upkeep?

Why cant the sad trolls get red carded or gtfo?

Its reaks of insecurity and fear u feel the need to go out of ur way to put down another code who u have nothing to do with for no reason.

GWS is a long term prospect, have started well.

They are doing a lot better than the 2nd rl team in melbourne, or the rl team in perth... thats for sure

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back