Strategy Confronting the challenges of 2016

Remove this Banner Ad

He heard footsteps and let Gunston take an incredibly easy mark in the 3rd quarter. That was pretty disappointing.

I thought he was called out of it and was disappointed in Shep actually giving up on the contest .But maybe Shep thought Wellers was going to keep coming back.A comedy of errors by our defenders gives Gunston a ridiculous easy mark .

Agree with ao much of this. But. We almost deserved what we got. The boys didnt play instinctive footy. Shuey got all hollywood and we didnt play quick. We froze, dear in the headlights style. Kennedy mot making the distance from 40? come on!
Dropped marks, fumbles, mclovins effort looking into the sun - noone has ever looked as pathetic as he did doing that. We might have got to a grand final but everything about the day showed we are still a significant step from a premiership

pfft...

schofield really impressed me this season with his 1-on-1 ability and reliability down back. really bounced back well after a couple of seasons spent going backwards.
I was really off Schoey before he got back this year, injury or not he was getting putrid. **** me he has gunned it this year.

I must say Simpson was excellent at bringing in a new game plan early in the year ( the Web) after we Lost Emac/ Brown early on. To me this says he is willing to tinker the game plan and i dare say he will make sure it changes next year incase other teams have worked us out. Once we get Emac and Brown back we should see the team play a fair bit better where we are not constantly plugging holes through injury.

For me this would by my best 22 heading into next year: ( I dare say we will be getting Jetta and Redden so will include the squad)

With games played in brackets

Nelson (11) Emac (121) Shep ( 84)
Wellingham (139) Schofield (132) Hurn (177)

Jetta (127) Priddis (197) Gaff (129)

Sheed (33) Mcgovern (33) Darling (105)
Cripps ( 75) JK (165) Lecra (154)

Ruck: Nic Nat (131) , Shuey (111) , Yeo ( 64)

Bench: Duggan (12), Lycett (28), Redden (129), Masten (140)

Depth: Rosa (168), Brown (90) , Butler (137) , Mcinnes (7), Hutchings (38) , Ellis (118) , Newman (6) & Hill (139).

Backline:

- As good as Mcgovern has been down back i think he will be a better of player down front. With another pre-season and a better understanding of getting his body right he will be a powerful asset as a CHF we have lacked in years. Can be swung back if needed during a game.

- Brown is a handy player but i think we are to big down back and i rate Schofield over him.

- Leave Schoey bulked up so he and Emac can take on the big key forwards. Emac in the past has shown good leadership so he along with the others will keep that backline in check.

- Shep has shown he can play on tall targets so i would rather him down back than Brown. He attacks the ball well and has run and flair in his game. Also stands up in big games.

- Hurn will be back to his more rebounding game than being restricted to defending this year.

- Nelson for me is the future so he stays in over Ellis and Butler. Wellingham to play his role this year which has been A grade.

Midfield:

- Yeo has been played everywhere this year so i do hope he gets to settle into the big bodied mid role who rests up front. Redden if he comes to us can also play in the guts/up forward.

- Jetta to add some pace and flair on the wing.

- Like to see Priddis rested up front more often so we start preparing for the future and allow Sheed to play more in there. Also like to see Waterman given a game or 2.

- We need Duggans class in there and can not wait to see what he offers next year.

Forward line:

- JK just keep doing what you are doing.

- Darling to play as a 3rd forward as he plays that role so much better. Let Mcgovern play as the CHF.

- Lecra in the forward pocket which i think will extend his career. I have this feeling him playing as a mid has been a reason his accuracy has dropped. I think he and Cripps should spend some minutes in the midfield but not big chunks.

- Hill had a great year but not fused if he was in or out.

Look i think we are still very well placed for a GF birth next year!

Still a long way to go before we get both Redden and Jetta. It's going to be difficult to acquire both.

I've always rated Schoey higher than Brown. There was a brief patch for about 2 months in 2013 (?) and maybe a little bit last year where Schoey was down... But in general I've always thought he has outperformed Brown.

I don't think Simpson will have a spot for both of them in the team.

I tend to disagree. Simpson has some great options next year to strengthen our backs and their game strategy.
First the strengths that may fit the web, Emac has incredible acceleration and pace, Brown has shown his ability to play small on pacy forwards.
The moves, MacG should go to centre half forward, Wellingham and Hurn can become our attacking flankers, Yeo goes midfield forward, which leaves us with Butler and Rosa as experienced cover and a great group of young defenders, Nelson, Barras to combine to keep pressure on who ever plays back.

I see a year where skills continue to improve and the game strategies continue to evolve. I expect us to have a few variations to the web, that will be needed to match the different forward lines of swans, north, hawks, and doggies.

The key to the back line though will continue to be the mid field. What happens to there and who becomes key inside mids will be interesting.

The real challenge will be to consolidate reset and refocus ... understand clearly that you start the new season with nothing and no advantage from having done so well in 2015. Same starting block as Hawthorn, Richmond and Carlton. You have the coach and you have the team to reload and give it another shake and win a lot of games next year.

You had a wonderful year and played the game 16 other clubs wanted to be playing in. You didn't get the chocolates ... nor did 16 other clubs ... Hawthorn has got the chocolates now 3 years in a row ... perhaps they will get fat ><

I think we saw what a lot of players are truly made of on Saturday, only shep gaff impressed.

I doubt we'll see the Eagles in a grand final anytime soon.

I think we saw what a lot of players are truly made of on Saturday, only shep gaff impressed.

Rubbish, the whole team suffered from the panics. Lost confidence, everytime we nearly did something cool, we ballsed it up, time and time again confidence was sapped from the team. Its pretty hard to focus and refocus on such a huge stage. If we played them on Sunday we may have won. We were deer in headlights and did not have the composure to regroup under duress.
We will be right up there again next year, top 6 easily IMO. Hell, we may even get into the 4 for another shake.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rubbish, the whole team suffered from the panics. Lost confidence, everytime we nearly did something cool, we ballsed it up, time and time again confidence was sapped from the team. Its pretty hard to focus and refocus on such a huge stage. If we played them on Sunday we may have won. We were deer in headlights and did not have the composure to regroup under duress.
We will be right up there again next year, top 6 easily IMO. Hell, we may even get into the 4 for another shake.

Agree 100%, as much as the boys will be feeling down, the only sensible message is chin up.
Improve the skills, improves the confidence, trade for some talent for the midfield and go again.

Jesus, really?

there are some absolute negative *s on this board. they did incredibly well considering where they came from in april.

on saturday they didnt play as they shouldve, half the team didnt show up. that gives me great belief with hunger and more experience theyll win it soon.

Apart from the loss

Goal kicking under pressure is an issue, but personally I think decision making and our entries/ball movement are the reason for innacuracy.

It's where you take your set shots from, likewise players havin a shot when mothers are in a better spot. The second can be fixed, LeCras, Shuey, Cripps and Hill need a word, whereas Darling needs to be told to settle down. He does the opposite and makes bad decisions.

The issue of ball movement and positioning is real though. At times we have been great, but in finals reverted to boundary hugging kicks to the pocket. We need to work a lot more at quick transition and corridor movement, to open forwardlines up.

Goal kicking under pressure is an issue, but personally I think decision making and our entries/ball movement are the reason for innacuracy.

It's where you take your set shots from, likewise players havin a shot when mothers are in a better spot. The second can be fixed, LeCras, Shuey, Cripps and Hill need a word, whereas Darling needs to be told to settle down. He does the opposite and makes bad decisions.

The issue of ball movement and positioning is real though. At times we have been great, but in finals reverted to boundary hugging kicks to the pocket. We need to work a lot more at quick transition and corridor movement, to open forwardlines up.

We missed at least 4 shots from almost right in front mate, and we got the ones that were difficult such as Hills shot from the pocket on the run. Its a mental thing for our blokes. When its an easy game they do it no problem, when the pressures on they miss a lot.

I think we saw what a lot of supporters are truly made of on Saturday

We're no guarantee whatsoever to make it again in 2016 but then most people had is guaranteed to miss the finals in 2015

The GF was poor and the players didn't deliver but the season overall was outstanding

Agree with you but don't think we will make the grand final next year, have a feeling Port and Sydney will be better than us along with obviously Hawthorn. Really badly wasted opportunity, if we had at least put up a fight would have nothing to be down about.

A great year overall though!

Emac
McGovern
Naitanui
Darling
Kennedy

It's our midfield that's second rate.

Spine is very good and possibly better than any other current clubs at the moment.

However, whilst A graders we don't have an out and out superstar amongst them (i.e. a Carey, Buddy) they are . This means our mid needs to be there about and it wasn't on the weekend.

Also, Darling is clearly not a CHF and is best suited as the third tall (but I suspect you are not saying he is, just that we don't have another option).

Like every other club except the hawks, we have a number of holes to fill.

Agree it is not all over, but 3-6 doesn't help us unless the Dockers finish top 2 and we get to play them.

Hawks aside, unless something extraordinary happens its Top 2 or bust.

We simply must not rely on natural progression, but go hard at the trade table (and we will).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back