Congratulations Brian Lake, Norm Smith Medallist 2013

Remove this Banner Ad

Best Bulldog full backs.
1 Lake best mark since Gary Dempsey
2 Henderson because my mum told me.kept Coleman goaless.
3 Kennedy tough as nails
4 Croft punched above his weight
5 Cowton crazy horse like me.

I heard he said he will consider or did consider coming back to the dogs as he wants to help our young backline kids

Hmmm...

I might be a bit cynical, but I'd say he just wants another contract somewhere.

If he's genuine, then I suppose he'd be welcome.

I am so glad this Lake/Hawthorn situation is over. It has been so damn painful.

One of my favourite Bulldog players of all time goes to my most hated club and he becomes a critical component of three flags.

I understand the process of trading for picks etc when you are rebuilding and the business side of football but this has been the most bitter pill I have swallowed as a Dogs supporter in my 40 years. And that is saying something.

Hmmm...

I might be a bit cynical, but I'd say he just wants another contract somewhere.

If he's genuine, then I suppose he'd be welcome.
Brian Lake thought about trying to continue his career elsewhere and even flirted with the idea of returning to the Western Bulldogs.

But the 33-year-old has decided to retire and does so in a way very few footballers are able to - winning a third premiership in a row with Hawthorn and driving a Gatorade golf buggy around the MCG.

Lake played 197 matches with the Bulldogs, before crossing over to the Hawks at the end of the 2012 season, where he added another 54 games including three consecutive premierships.

The 2013 Norm Smith Medallist revealing to SEN's The Run Home while his playing days are over he won't be lost to the game.

Instead of a fairytale finish at Whitten Oval as a player he will consider moving into coaching.

“Being in the AFL for 14 years, I reckon I’ve got a really good knowledge of how clubs are run both on field and off field, I really enjoy that side of it.

“I’d love to do some media, a little bit of part time coaching like Ox (David Schwarz) did at the Doggies and help their list get up and going,” he said.

Lake hasn’t completely retired and said he’d like to play for a local football side.

While he still held out hope of one more season with Hawthorn, coach Alastair Clarkson tapped him on the shoulder on Monday.

However the dual All-Australian defender sensed the feeling wasn’t mutual months ago.

“I had an understanding I reckon midseason when I was trying to sell myself to get another year . . . then the club came back and said ‘Nah will wait until the end of the year.’

“I knew walking into the meeting (with Clarkson) that this was probably going to be my last year.

“So it was an easy conversation … I thought I could go another year but finishing with three years, three premierships it’s a pretty good story.

“I’m happy with myself and what I’ve achieved so it sits well with me.”

Not sure if there is a thread of about this.
But very interesting article on the Age website about Brian Lake.
I was never really that annoyed that Lake left, but this just confirmed that I have no hard grudges that he left.
His main message being that he remembered Barry Hall who was a premiership captain at the swans, wants to be remembered as a bulldogs.
So Brian Lake said that he wants to be remembered as a Bulldog Life Member and a Hawthorn Premiership player.
He also spoke about how good Rodney Eade was for him and got the best out of him. And also spoke about how he could take the sprays from eade and no one else really could so that Eade would use him to get to other players to make them better. Was a very good read.
Wish I knew how to post a link to it. But it is on the Age footy website. Real Footy. Go to clubs and choose western bulldogs and is right there.

Seriously?

He held the club to ransom to get paid a fortune then didn't try for a full year ended up in the VFL and turned up to pre season 15 kg overweight

He can go and get well and truly farked

Seriously?

He held the club to ransom to get paid a fortune then didn't try for a full year ended up in the VFL and turned up to pre season 15 kg overweight

He can go and get well and truly farked

Interesting to hear his interview on trade radio this afternoon.

Plough tried to get him to talk about his time at the Bulldogs and how it was a great journey for him etc. even he didn't get to a GF.

He more or less just talked about his injury problems from 2010 onwards and how in 2011 people at the club and the media turned on him. He found out about people etc.

Gun and my favourite player in his peak, that game where we belted the hawks and he dominated buddy was awesome.

good on him

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sorry, gonna disagree with you all.

Hope he enjoys his 3 hollow premierships.

Won't mean anything when WE win one.

good riddance to him.

as good as he was for the bulldogs he made stupid mistakes at crucial times in finals and only decided to pull his finger out fitness wise when he got to hawthorn.

We simply can't go into next year relying on Roberts. If we can't pick up another KPD, I'd welcome back Bwian for a year if his head was there and if the club thought it could work. Bev would know him as well as any.

#bwingbackBwian

His b n f speech is pretty funny. Mentions that Suckling will love it at the dogs. Watch it if you get the chance.

Here it is.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back