List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

Who do you want the Eagles to select in the Mid Season Draft?

• Luke Beecken

Votes: 27 22.1%
  • Ben Hopkins

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • Trey Ruscoe

Votes: 18 14.8%
  • Will McLachlan

Votes: 4 3.3%
  • Jacob Blight

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • Jasper Scaife

Votes: 4 3.3%
  • Jack Hutchinson

Votes: 39 32.0%
  • Other

Votes: 13 10.7%
  • Geordie Payne

Votes: 3 2.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Last edited:
View attachment 1996769

It will be interesting to see who gets offered contracts. Only really Gaff and Trew on this list with definitively stamped papers.

We’ve turned over 50% of our list since the end of the 2021 season and 22 players who’ll be 22 or under at the end of this season

So we’re pretty stacked with young players so maybe this year with just 2 picks inside 40 (we’ve had 3 or 4 the last 3 drafts) we won’t cut quite so deep. Perhaps as few as 5/6 instead of the 8+ we have been retiring/delisting - 3 draft picks, 2 players brought in and maybe a rookie pick

In no particular order - Jones, Baker, Rotham, Witherden, Burgiel, Edwards and Edwards the most vulnerable to join Gaff and Trew as I think the rest have done enough to get a new contract

All that assumes nobody asks to be traded out or leaves as a FA

We’ve turned over 50% of our list since the end of the 2021 season and 22 players who’ll be 22 or under at the end of this season

So we’re pretty stacked with young players so maybe this year with just 2 picks inside 40 (we’ve had 3 or 4 the last 3 drafts) we won’t cut quite so deep. Perhaps as few as 5/6 instead of the 8+ we have been retiring/delisting - 3 draft picks, 2 players brought in and maybe a rookie pick

In no particular order - Jones, Baker, Rotham, Witherden, Burgiel, Edwards and Edwards the most vulnerable to join Gaff and Trew as I think the rest have done enough to get a new contract

All that assumes nobody asks to be traded out or leaves as a FA

Burgiel would be at the bottom of that list.

He has genuine defensive deficiencies (most draftees do) but has genuine upside ball in hand.

I find it hard to believe he won’t get a 1 year contract.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Ledwards probably the most at risk on the main list. I think Hedwards survives by dint of being a tall bastard and looking paper thin for KPD depth but if we acquire another KPD through trade/FA he could still go.

Jones at risk, just hasn't quite grasped his opportunities the way he would have liked but may have value elsewhere.
Witherden certainly playing like a man not ready to let it all go the past few weeks. I reckon he survives as he is in the right age bracket and his dad can hook everyone up.

Baker likely to go too I would think.

What's the minimum we can take in the main draft? is it 2 or 3?

Ledwards probably the most at risk on the main list. I think Hedwards survives by dint of being a tall bastard and looking paper thin for KPD depth but if we acquire another KPD through trade/FA he could still go.

Jones at risk, just hasn't quite grasped his opportunities the way he would have liked but may have value elsewhere.
Witherden certainly playing like a man not ready to let it all go the past few weeks. I reckon he survives as he is in the right age bracket and his dad can hook everyone up.

Baker likely to go too I would think.

What's the minimum we can take in the main draft? is it 2 or 3?
three

Burgiel would be at the bottom of that list.

He has genuine defensive deficiencies (most draftees do) but has genuine upside ball in hand.

I find it hard to believe he won’t get a 1 year contract.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I initially left him off the list but I’m worried about his inability to string games together and it seems his WAFL form hasn’t been great although he’s no orphan there

The challenge for Matthew Clarke is finding the right balance between keeping mature aged players in their mid twenties who aren’t quite best 22 but provide good depth versus younger players who haven’t quite come on but still show a capacity to improve

Guys like Rotham and Witherden who two months ago seemed like easy delists have put together a pretty solid month of footy. If they maintain that form, or better still build on it, then there’s a strong case to retain them

Murdock is a good WAFL player. But so was Greg Clark. Really hard to know who can take the next step. What position would he play for us? As a midfielder, he's behind everyone in the side, plus Culley, Hall and Trew.

I initially left him off the list but I’m worried about his inability to string games together and it seems his WAFL form hasn’t been great although he’s no orphan there

The challenge for Matthew Clarke is finding the right balance between keeping mature aged players in their mid twenties who aren’t quite best 22 but provide good depth versus younger players who haven’t quite come on but still show a capacity to improve

Guys like Rotham and Witherden who two months ago seemed like easy delists have put together a pretty solid month of footy. If they maintain that form, or better still build on it, then there’s a strong case to retain them

His WAFL form has been fine bar one week, minus one game where he played wing for the first time. Most weeks he is amongst our best.

If it wasn’t for his appendicitis he would have debuted instead of Johnston.

The fact he’s done that with all the interruptions is more evidence to keep him.

Definite delists for me from main list
Gaff
Jones
Luke Edwards (maybe rookie) upgrade Culley.
Harry Edwards (maybe rookie) trade in Busslinger if possible.
Burgiel(not sure)

Looking safer
Rotham
Witherden

Safe
Duggan
Barnett
Jwilliams
Yeo ( no guarantee he doesn't go to another club)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Murdock is a good WAFL player. But so was Greg Clark. Really hard to know who can take the next step. What position would he play for us? As a midfielder, he's behind everyone in the side, plus Culley, Hall and Trew.

I would query that comment as IMO he would be an substantial upgrade on L Edwards and has shown a heck of a lot more than Trew in the WAFL.

Agree with the comment “ hard to know who can take it to the next level”.

I wouldn’t mind if we picked him, as he is was worth a punt.
Certainly a hard working midfielder who racks up the possessions and he is also tackling machine.

Can he make the step up in grade, that’s what guys get paid to assess.

I think this MSD pool is only puddle deep.
So whoever we pick are going to be long odds to make it.

I would query that comment as IMO he would be an substantial upgrade on L Edwards and has shown a heck of a lot more than Trew in the WAFL.

Certainly a hard working midfielder who racks up the possessions and he is also tackling machine.

I think we were stupendously lucky to get Culley and particularly Maric in the MSD. I think Essendon has snagged a pretty handy player there as well but not many/any others have made it? I think they are all puddle deep really, 18 teams drafting dredges the pond pretty clean of players with close to a modern AFL athletic profile.

Feels like Connor West II

Never seen his face until that article, but he's clearly the next Tom Atkins imo

Apparently kobe ryan is going very well over in SA
Might be a better option, has improved a lot

On SM-S921B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Definite delist / trade
Gaff (retire)
Ledwards
Rotham
JJ

Trew
Baker

List changes
Culley (upgraded)
Busslinger
Liam Baker
Pick 3

New #1
Ruscoe

Probably need another senior list change tbh

Definite delist / trade
Gaff (retire)
Ledwards
Rotham
JJ

Trew
Baker

List changes
Culley (upgraded)
Busslinger
Liam Baker
Pick 3

New #1
Ruscoe

Probably need another senior list change tbh

Why are people in a rush to delist baker?

He’s a cat b rookie? Who will we replace him with? He’s not even taking up a senior or rookie list spot.

Why are people in a rush to delist baker?

He’s a cat b rookie? Who will we replace him with? He’s not even taking up a senior or rookie list spot.

Baker got upgraded from cat B to the regular rookie list last year to create a spot to list Livingstone as a cat B with Dewar

Here’s the bit on Chad Warner from gettable Keys

I might have misremembered and added in the “last time he was out of contract” part

Back