List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

What should we do with our 1st round draft pick?

• Finn O’Sullivan

Votes: 17 34.0%
  • Sid Draper

Votes: 14 28.0%
  • Josh Smillie

Votes: 3 6.0%
  • Jagga Smith

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • Split for best mid and Tobie Travaglia

Votes: 10 20.0%
  • Split for best mid and Liam Baker

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Split for best mid and best KPD

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Split for best two mids

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • Other

Votes: 4 8.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Last edited:
Would that stop us getting any FAs in?
Wouldn’t stop us but any FAs we brought in would potentially dilute a compo pick for Rotham. I’d love Perryman and Cumming but unless Matt Flynn and Jason Gillbee can sell ice to eskimos, no FAs are coming to the eagles this year.

What's the point of drafting Murdock only to delist him at the end of the year as we struggle to free up list spots. There's not a pressing need to add him when we have guys like Culley, Hall and Burgiel to play ahead of him and hopefully Hewitt.
What if he's better than some of those guys? Or Kobe Ryan is? Or if blight is better that HEdwards or jamo?
Its a free hit to try to unearth more talent. We need more talent

On SM-S921B using BigFooty.com mobile app

What if he's better than some of those guys? Or Kobe Ryan is? Or if blight is better that HEdwards or jamo?
Its a free hit to try to unearth more talent. We need more talent

While there are a couple of exceptions to the rule, the odds that someone who has been passed over by 18 clubs for five years has a higher ceiling than the kids we have must be low. Talent identification is much improved. We need talent but Murdock strikes me as a solid WAFL player. Hell, he’s hardly tearing it up, nobody guessed he was in the frame until it was reported today.

While there are a couple of exceptions to the rule, the odds that someone who has been passed over by 18 clubs for five years has a higher ceiling than the kids we have must be low. Talent identification is much improved. We need talent but Murdock strikes me as a solid WAFL player. Hell, he’s hardly tearing it up, nobody guessed he was in the frame until it was reported today.
I wasn't talking about murdoch as such. But we have a spot and if someone like trew is next cab off the rank and he's likely to be delisted then we might as well give someone who could offer more a go

Strange take for mind . Harry Edwards is a much more experienced defender but lacks all athletic abilities you want in a key defender eg pace, Agility, ability to pick the ball off the deck , ability to jump over the pack and kill the contest.

Jamo has all those abilities he just lacks experience as a key defender.

Much rather persistent with jamo because he has a much higher ceiling
Every day I’m picking CJ over HE. Jamison’s body keeps letting him down but so does Edward’s.

Surely we go for a tall project player this time around in MSD? Don’t see the point in adding a speculative forward or mid when we already have those. Why not go for some big monster on 18 months that can be rookied later?

Surely we go for a tall project player this time around in MSD? Don’t see the point in adding a speculative forward or mid when we already have those. Why not go for some big monster on 18 months that can be rookied later?
If we are going down that path it needs to be Noah Howes even though don’t need project KFPs (JWilliams, AReid, Livingstone with Maric on the list as well). Leading contested marks in SANFL as an 18 year old, kicking goals and hasn’t had a good run at it with injury the last two years. If he’s playing good footy but still can’t get a game behind Oscar, Waterman etc then I’m sure both SA clubs would be keen to trade for a young KPF. I do not share the view with all the fuss about Scaife.

We also don’t need project rucks Barnett, AReid and Livingstone) and Blight (who is already 22 with a big body) is the only KPD that seems to be being mentioned.

We aren't good enough yet to be drafting for need. We should be drafting best availalble.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Disagree, hopefully a mid/winger. Tbh we still have plenty of gaps to fill going forward so a small forward or HBFer would be ok too

Sure. But that doesn't mean reaching for a key position player if there's a mid who may be a solid best 15 - 25 on the list type.

I totally get that this is the draft thread, but arguing best available v needs in a thin MSD where it’s basically spare parts is insane.

Whoever we draft will help out Beagles for the rest of the year.

Anything more than that is a bonus.

The only reason I can think why we might go Howes is that the new list strategy is to become a KPF farm, we just pick up KPFs and develop them just to trade them away for more picks 🤷‍♂️

To be honest, this is exactly what I thought we would be in 2018-2020.

We had such an over-supply of talls, thst I thought we’d develop them and trade them for picks.

It’s not a bad strategy if you can nail it.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

On first crack they were talking about 6,7,8 wins for us now.

Which could mean pick 5 or 6 if that eventuates.

It's obviously a different situation to what North were in rd24 last year because any wins are like gold to a rebuilding side but it'd also suck to miss out on a gun mid kid.

I still think we'll probably finish 15/16 so pick 3/4

But would also take a bunch more wins and pick 6/7

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app
According to squiggle 7 wins would still place us third last which is a good result

I think we should be looking at the MSD to plug holes in our list and the only true hole i see at the moment is ruck.

We have project ruckmen, so lets look at getting a seasoned guy to fill in when needed. Someone like Brynn Teakle from East Freo. He played a few games for Port a couple years back

Thinking about the KPD issue we all seem to be aware of in the future.

If Jake can maintain 75% of his current output, J Williams comes on to be a good player as he certainly is looking like, A Reid comes on and fills his potential and Bailey starts playing forward the majority which is the plan, we are very good for talls up front but missing down back in 3 or 4 years.

None of those blokes can be trusted to hold down a defensive spot, but there is one bloke I haven't mentioned who played down there as a junior and in his first year who can be.

If Jake genuinely turns into the G Train MKII, do we move Oscar back?

To be honest, this is exactly what I thought we would be in 2018-2020.

We had such an over-supply of talls, thst I thought we’d develop them and trade them for picks.

It’s not a bad strategy if you can nail it.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Bringing in that best rated SA KP forward could be a two way bet with the second being trading for Curtin at some stage.

Howes?

Thinking about the KPD issue we all seem to be aware of in the future.

If Jake can maintain 75% of his current output, J Williams comes on to be a good player as he certainly is looking like, A Reid comes on and fills his potential and Bailey starts playing forward the majority which is the plan, we are very good for talls up front but missing down back in 3 or 4 years.

None of those blokes can be trusted to hold down a defensive spot, but there is one bloke I haven't mentioned who played down there as a junior and in his first year who can be.

If Jake genuinely turns into the G Train MKII, do we move Oscar back?

No.

We train AReid as a KPD.

No doubt that would be preferred but is there any reason to think that would work?

I think he is better aerially and in contest work than what people (WCEphil) gave him credit for pre-draft. I’ve really liked the bits I’ve seen in the wafl, particularly in the ruck.

I could see him being a KPD in the Liam Jones mould eventually when he puts on size.

Personally, if all out talls come on, clubs will come knocking. I could see Bailey being the one who falls out and looks for more opportunities.

It’s all hypothetical at this stage.

Oscar is so overrated as a KPD. When he has gone back there, it’s normally been as an extra coming down from forward line. When he has gone back as a defender he got cleaned up by forwards (see: v Curnow in Carlton game last year).

Waterman has actually shown more than Allen as a defender.

Back