List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Last edited:
We will see, I’m not as sold on this cohort as some. Favourite for number one had a pretty average day today by potential number one standards. Concerned over the disposal by foot of a number other high end possibilities.
Hopefully it’s just round one nerves and things start to build as the season progresses.
Haha give it time, it's round 1

Throwing the cheque book at a player is how you fk your list long term.

The other players aren't dummie, nor are their managers. Don't set a shitty precident.

Player A gets over-paid by 200k
Player B is out of contract next year but also wants 200k more then market value
Player C also wants 200k more but too bad so sad we are poor now. Bye bye.

You can't just throw these fantasy mega deals out there in isolation. They do impact things for other players moving forward.

Sometimes you gotta accept a gun WA player isn't destined to come home to the eagles.

The other players aren't dummie, nor are their managers. Don't set a shitty precident.

Player B is out of contract next year but also wants 200k more then market value

You can't just throw these fantasy mega deals out there in isolation. They do impact things for other players moving forward.

Sometimes you gotta accept a gun WA player isn't destined to come home to the eagles.
If you throw money at a gun player and Jake Waterman or Luke Edwards or the like start agitating for more money, you tell them to shut their hole and know their role. This is the one time you can throw money at a player because a big proportion of our list isn’t worth the money they are getting, let alone more. You front load the contract and have it reduced by the time some of our young guns are worth the cash.

Let’s just say if Tom Cole threatens to walk if we don’t up his contract, I’m not exactly shaking in my boots.

If you throw money at a gun player and Jake Waterman or Luke Edwards or the like start agitating for more money, you tell them to shut their hole and know their role. This is the one time you can throw money at a player because a big proportion of our list isn’t worth the money they are getting, let alone more. You front load the contract and have it reduced by the time some of our young guns are worth the cash.

Let’s just say if Tom Cole threatens to walk if we don’t up his contract, I’m not exactly shaking in my boots.
Lol, I'm not worried about ledwards, waterman or Coles of this world. I'm talking about all the young talent coming through which we don't want to lose in future. Massively overpaying a player is a desperation move. It's not healthly list management.

I'm not saying we can't put a bit of Mayo on a contract offer to attract talent, but this whole god father offer is terrible list management imo.

I think tapping into guys like busslinger who arent fulfilling thier full potential yet and wont cost crazy $ is better business.

I think Ben Ainsworth is out of contract at the suns.. despite the surname would be a decent Cripps replacement and he hits the scoreboard almost every week. Something our current forwards struggle to do

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Clubs have to spend 95% of the cap each year. On market value as it stands I reckon we’re spending about 70-80% of the cap in 2026. Front load the deals and give our young players some support. If we only start drafting KPPs in the next couple of years they are going to be too far behind our mids when they are hitting their peak. Buss then those two are absolute priorities and I’d happily pay that for either of them as free agents.

I think Ben Ainsworth is out of contract at the suns.. despite the surname would be a decent Cripps replacement and he hits the scoreboard almost every week. Something our current forwards struggle to do

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
His whole family, and his two best mates all relocated to the Gold Coast after he was drafted.

And he’s one of their heart & soul players.

Only problem for Gold Coast is that he’s been massively overpaid since his first non draftee contract, so getting him to re-sign for less might take a bit for him to wrap his head around.

No quick fix here men, this rebuild won't be successful sadly we just don't have anywhere near the talent required to compete all season then go deep into the finals. Couple that with our skill level, gameplan and injury susceptibility it will be another quiet decade for the trophy cabinet...just being realistic here not hating this proud club.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Soetimes you gotta accept a gun WA player isn't destined to come home to the eagles.

So the only current advantage we hold over the other teams is soon having up to $7m per year in free cap space. You are saying it's bad management to use that to attract talent?

We don't get academy access to quality picks.

We don't get father sons every 2nd year.

We don't get quality players lining up to be traded here like the Lions, Swans, Port and Collingwood.

We don't get AFL assistance like North.

So the only tool we have is massive free cap space. But we are silly to use our only advantage to improve?

No quick fix here men, this rebuild won't be successful sadly we just don't have anywhere near the talent required to compete all season then go deep into the finals. Couple that with our skill level, gameplan and injury susceptibility it will be another quiet decade for the trophy cabinet...just being realistic here not hating this proud club.

Nah, these things turn around faster than people expect. 2 more years of pain (24 & 25) and the rise will start.

Talent is an interesting one, kept hearing the commentary yesterday re the age of the teams on the park being almost equal (average age), but obviously our profiles are different.

Prime movers for GWS (mids, KPD, KPF) are there mature and peak age players. For us we have some mature agers in those areas to protect and help (Gov, Darling, Yeo) but also a heap of youth being asked to do heavy lifting (Reid, Ginbey, Chesser, Jamieson, Hough, Ledwards, Barnett).

And we now seem to have a close to full team of WAFL players who are mostly young and can hopefully develop in a decent environment.

KPD is a concern, as is the midfield (we will have the opportunity to top that up end of the year and possibly mid year also). KPF we have 4 either ready or developing (Allen, JWilliams, AReid, Maric), plus Waterman for now. Small forwards we need more, defenders too. Probably need to find another 8-ish 1st team players (either from current reserves or draft/FA etc), and need to keep pumping games into our slowly improving talent.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Lol, I'm not worried about ledwards, waterman or Coles of this world. I'm talking about all the young talent coming through which we don't want to lose in future. Massively overpaying a player is a desperation move. It's not healthly list management.

I'm not saying we can't put a bit of Mayo on a contract offer to attract talent, but this whole god father offer is terrible list management imo.

I think tapping into guys like busslinger who arent fulfilling thier full potential yet and wont cost crazy $ is better business.

Front end contracts to attract the big guns. In 2 to 3 years they drop back to open cap space for the kids who have earned the pay rise.

Kids get to play and develop alongside guns who are peaking now. We win more games and rebuild faster. Kids don't get flogged week in week out like at the Suns early on. And they leave.

Dustin Martin was 26 when Richmond won the first of their premierships. Luke Hodge was 29 in the first year of Hawthorn's threepeat. Ablett Jr was 23 when Geelong won their first flag, although I'd argue he had a better team around him at that age than the other two.

It's a marathon, not a sprint.

So the only current advantage we hold over the other teams is soon having up to $7m per year in free cap space. You are saying it's bad management to use that to attract talent?

We don't get academy access to quality picks.

We don't get father sons every 2nd year.

We don't get quality players lining up to be traded here like the Lions, Swans, Port and Collingwood.

We don't get AFL assistance like North.

So the only tool we have is massive free cap space. But we are silly to use our only advantage to improve?
As I said use the cap space we have, even throw some Mayo on top. But fk me paying players way overs is just ridiculously short sighted and desperate.

It's a marathon, not a sprint.

Thats what many here don't get.

Takes a lot of time to rebuild.

1. Get the talented kids into the Club.
2. Get games and development into them.
3. Then they start jelling and clicking as a playing group.

That all takes 3-4 years, once thats in place, then its the time to start seriously trading in the pieces of the puzzle that are missing, plus some strategically identified cheaper role players in positions of need.

We are 4-5 years away from the point when we we can expect us to win more that we lose and start being a finalist team.

Was heartening to be at the game yesterday, where there was 42K at Optus, supporting a team, that most knew going to the game were going to be soundly beaten.

Those who turned up to support the " green shoots", they are true supporters.

Take away the 11-2 goals differential, from basic turnovers, and all in all I thought it was a decent effort.

I just feel realistically if everything goes 100% perfect we will need the 2024 draft crop to hit 23-24 years old before we start chasing finals. So that's 2029-2030.

That gives a main age profile of 23-26 of our current youth plus this years draft to form the core of the team. We'll have a few older players and a few younger players but that's realistically the only path for success in this rebuild.

We will need a lot in the way of free agent roleplayers to protect the youth and provide leadership on field and we need to hopefully attract 1-2 star players as well.

Just how many players do people realistically think we already have on our list for that rise to challenge? You need 30 to challenge, a good run with injury, timing and a fair amount of luck.

We will see, I’m not as sold on this cohort as some. Favourite for number one had a pretty average day today by potential number one standards. Concerned over the disposal by foot of a number other high end possibilities.
Hopefully it’s just round one nerves and things start to build as the season progresses.

"Concerned over the disposal by foot of a number other high end possibilities."

Big No to anyone remotely suspect in their disposal after yesterdays shiteshow (and last weeks, and last season and the season before).

Thats what many here don't get.

Takes a lot of time to rebuild.

1. Get the talented kids into the Club.
2. Get games and development into them.
3. Then they start jelling and clicking as a playing group.

That all takes 3-4 years, once thats in place, then its the time to start seriously trading in the pieces of the puzzle that are missing, plus some strategically identified cheaper role players in positions of need.

We are 4-5 years away from the point when we we can expect us to win more that we lose and start being a finalist team.

Was heartening to be at the game yesterday, where there was 42K at Optus, supporting a team, that most knew going to the game were going to be soundly beaten.

Those who turned up to support the " green shoots", they are true supporters.

Take away the 11-2 goals differential, from basic turnovers, and all in all I thought it was a decent effort.

I'm listening to you, others well....

1711324265374.png

I just feel realistically if everything goes 100% perfect we will need the 2024 draft crop to hit 23-24 years old before we start chasing finals. So that's 2029-2030.
Bang on with this assessment.

Players play their best football in the age bracket 24 - 28 years.
With 100 - 200 games under their belt.

We will need a lot in the way of free agent roleplayers to protect the youth and provide leadership on field and we need to hopefully attract 1-2 star players as well.

The good news is that Pyke has already alluded to that and he has gone further, by saying its something that we need to get a lot better at- it's one of the facets of list building that Sydney has excelled at for some time now, hopefully he can help the Club use some of Sydneys modelling to do so.

Just how many players do people realistically think we already have on our list for that rise to challenge? You need 30 to challenge, a good run with injury, timing and a fair amount of luck.

For me it's way too early to say because history shows that the attrition rate with young draftees is over 50 %.

Allen, Long, Ginbey, H Reid, Hewett, Maric, Hough, Hall. - and yes I know i Hall hasn't even played AFL yet, but I already rate him.

My biggest concern is the lack of any KPP ( other than Allen ) coming through.

So thats a massive deficit by way of reference to the 30 that you rightly state are needed.

The Clubs got a lot of work to do the right the listing ship.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back