List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Last edited:
I am now getting too old to wait 5 years just to make finals.

Freo, hawthorn and Adelaide have been rebuilding for best part for 6 or so years so timing makes sense.

For Freo it’s closer to 30 years, I know. But you get the point.

Interestingly, era of cheap money is over. Will be interesting to see how that affects clubs moving forward as you can only squeeze richer clubs so much. If you have to build a $50m facility, why should you now have to pay 8% interest on that just so north doesn’t die.

Throwing the cheque book at a player is how you fk your list long term.

The other players aren't dummie, nor are their managers. Don't set a shitty precident.

Player A gets over-paid by 200k
Player B is out of contract next year but also wants 200k more then market value
Player C also wants 200k more but too bad so sad we are poor now. Bye bye.

You can't just throw these fantasy mega deals out there in isolation. They do impact things for other players moving forward.

Sometimes you gotta accept a gun WA player isn't destined to come home to the eagles.

You’re right. Players do understand the dynamic.

The reality is we are going to be over paying players we want to come to the club and over paying players we want to keep for the next 3-4 years.

That’s just where we are at.

Salary cap isn’t a consideration for the next 3-4 years while we build a core of players.

As it stands we will struggle to meet the salary floor.

Salary cap really only matters when you’re contending and we won’t be for 5 years.

"Concerned over the disposal by foot of a number other high end possibilities."

Big No to anyone remotely suspect in their disposal after yesterdays shiteshow (and last weeks, and last season and the season before).
It’s early in the season and maybe a combination in nerves and making errors when tired. There was a bit of wind around which can contribute too. I was a little flat after watching all but one of the talent league games but hopefully that changes as the season moves forward.

If the club were to only get a future second and third that had to be traded as compensation picks that is the trade right there. Done and dusted.

McLuggage playing predominantly outside or from defence I have no issues with a 6 year contract for on a lot of money.
Oli Florent I would be offering a year more than what the swans are and 200k a year extra than they offer.

Perryman and Cumming I would both go after, the former harder than the latter.

As a player into coach trade I would go after Nick Haynes. Experienced, much better player than Witherden and a much more reliable kick who's best kicks are easily as damaging.

All 3 GWS players are fringe but would step in and be best 22 easily here with Perryman and Cumming both having upside.
i agree We need to target free agents and fringe players With so much salary cap available. Should we get a second round and third round compo picks that will help us do this.
It will take a long time to just look to the draft to fix our problems and we need to develop players in a more competitive team as soon as possible.

Throwing the cheque book at a player is how you fk your list long term.

The other players aren't dummie, nor are their managers. Don't set a shitty precident.

Player A gets over-paid by 200k
Player B is out of contract next year but also wants 200k more then market value
Player C also wants 200k more but too bad so sad we are poor now. Bye bye.

You can't just throw these fantasy mega deals out there in isolation. They do impact things for other players moving forward.

Sometimes you gotta accept a gun WA player isn't destined to come home to the eagles.

We have the cash and I am open to front ending targets. Better than needing to dish money out at end of year to current players, in order to meet bottom salary cap limits. Then they get addicted to the sugar, don’t get better and become entitled.

Some people still don’t realise there is a minimum amount that must be paid.

Players are always overpaid to entice them to move.

Let’s just say if Tom Cole threatens to walk if we don’t up his contract, I’m not exactly shaking in my boots.

Sad thing is that our club would rather renew him, than let him leave as a free agent that nets us pick2, for example.

Look at north and McKay. Everyone wins in that scenario. We wouldn’t though! We would rather Harry Edwards renew.

A lot is really going to come down to whether or not (I don't think it will be this year but it may be next year) the AFL allows direct trades for salary cap space. 500k a year for 3 years should get you a top 20 pick. 1mill a year for 2 years should get you a top 10 pick or a current and future first rounder from a contending side. Perhaps even more.

A lot is really going to come down to whether or not (I don't think it will be this year but it may be next year) the AFL allows direct trades for salary cap space. 500k a year for 3 years should get you a top 20 pick. 1mill a year for 2 years should get you a top 10 pick or a current and future first rounder from a contending side. Perhaps even more.

It will screw up the clubs in the middle who don’t need cap space but have assets that may be valuable. Free agents that can be shaken loose will generally be from top clubs. now they can dish out their pick 15, which becomes pick 25 to keep that player. And keep doing that at least for a couple of years.

We have the cash and I am open to front ending targets. Better than needing to dish money out at end of year to current players, in order to meet bottom salary cap limits. Then they get addicted to the sugar, don’t get better and become entitled.

Some people still don’t realise there is a minimum amount that must be paid.

Players are always overpaid to entice them to move.
look i think im being misinterupted a bit. i dont have issue with over-paying a little.
but its the crazy 1.5m a year for sam taylor deals that im scoffing at. those kind of deals are hard for other players to ignore.

hitting the floor of the salary cap is pretty common knowledge and thats not my issue. by all mean front load big contracts (ie. give sam taylor 1.5m year one, but then year 2 to 5 should be closer to 800-900k), but that doesnt mean i agree with crazy deals where we are paying players 30% more then their market value over the length of a contract. Thats norf level of desperate list management.

We don't get academy access to quality picks.

We don't get father sons every 2nd year.

We don't get quality players lining up to be traded here like the Lions, Swans, Port and Collingwood.

We don't get AFL assistance like North.

So the only tool we have is massive free cap space. But we are silly to use our only advantage to improve?
Spot on. The cap space (aside from the lure home for the truly homesick) is the only lever we have to pull to get talent in. Ideally IMO we should acquire on heavily front ended deals two FA on band 1 money next year. Taylor and LDU for example would be perfect. I’d also trade for Chad Warner if he was interested.

English is good around the ground but we need a tap ruckman that can give our mids first use of the ball which isn’t really his strength. If Flynn has a good back half of the year there is no need to bring in another ruck or spend the cap space with Batman developing nicely, BBW on the list as ruck insurance and Livingstone also developing.

Overpay (150k a year) a couple of young mid tier players to fix glaring list holes. Could do a lot worse than getting Buss this year and a rebounding defender such as Judd McVee next year then I’d go full tilt with 1R/2R picks at Curtin and Hardeman the year after if they develop as projected.

The team by the end of 2026 would look very good on paper provided we stay fit and A Reid comes on as a KPF. The backline alone would be completely transformed into a great intercepting and exiting back 6.

If we haven’t done it already, everyone we’ve contracted beyond next year should have their salaries paid into 2024 and 2025, Barrass in particular to make sure there’s cap space available to accomodate the above in 2026 and beyond.

By then, wouldnt we actually need the $$$?

Reid will need to be locked in atleast 18/12 months from year 3 - I dont know how much he will be asking for but I guarantee he will be asking for abit. Also, this will be the time Sam Taylor, Chad Warner, or any other will be free for a big offer.

Are you saying we should forego chasing them and trade our cap space to Sydney/GWS for a top pick?

And you would know more than me, but I assume we have until the 2026 draft before Tasmania gets in which I assume would * that strategy too.

It really shows how much is on the line the next three years. We cant make one mistake, we either land short of overrun the runaway.

I am now getting too old to wait 5 years just to make finals.

Freo, hawthorn and Adelaide have been rebuilding for best part for 6 or so years so timing makes sense.

For Freo it’s closer to 30 years, I know. But you get the point.

Interestingly, era of cheap money is over. Will be interesting to see how that affects clubs moving forward as you can only squeeze richer clubs so much. If you have to build a $50m facility, why should you now have to pay 8% interest on that just so north doesn’t die.
Interesting discussion on our board over the weekend about Hawthorn and West Coasts list.

Hawthorn may have been rebuilding for a couple of years longer, but a lot of their recent draftees are very vanilla, and a couple of their key young players can’t stay on the park, due repeated injuries.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting discussion on our board over the weekend about Hawthorn and West Coasts list.

Hawthorn may have been rebuilding for a couple of years longer, but a lot of their recent draftees are very vanilla, and a couple of their key young players can’t stay on the park, due repeated injuries.

I was thinking about this too.

Hawthorn have done well with later picks and MsD, but there top picks of the last few years have been disappointing.

Granger Barrass (6)
Ward (7)
Mackenzie (7?)
Watson (5) - too early to tell.

If we had gone to draft for four years and only had the output of the above to show for our top picks, our board would be in a state of meltdown of gargantuan proportions.

They’ve added some nice pieces through MSD and trade with Newcombe, Ginnivan and D’Ambrosio looking good for them and making their rebuild look better overall than what it actually is.

Newcombe and Weddle are the only two that look like genuine match winners and have genuine X factor.

They have some nice pieces, but lack core quality players that will take their club forward at this stage.

Ironically, of the bottom 3 clubs from last year, North look to have the best talent under 21. Their kids look special and they have accrued quite a few now.

It's hard to be optimistic with 50 and 65 point losses, but they are against two teams expected to be in and around the top four. It's already a bit better than last year, we would have been losing by 100-plus. Bit of a s**t draw to give one of the historically worst sides in recent times.

It’s clear our intent and pressure is better that’s for sure. Unfortunately our skill level seems to have gotten even worse though. I honestly think if we had a decent kicker or two in our back half, we wouldn’t be remotely as bad as we are. All our half back options are so bloody poor by foot.

I was thinking about this too.

Hawthorn have done well with later picks and MsD, but there top picks of the last few years have been disappointing.

Granger Barrass (6)
Ward (7)
Mackenzie (7?)
Watson (5) - too early to tell.

If we had gone to draft for four years and only had the output of the above to show for our top picks, our board would be in a state of meltdown of gargantuan proportions.

They’ve added some nice pieces through MSD and trade with Newcombe, Ginnivan and D’Ambrosio looking good for them and making their rebuild look better overall than what it actually is.

Newcombe and Weddle are the only two that look like genuine match winners and have genuine X factor.

They have some nice pieces, but lack core quality players that will take their club forward at this stage.

Ironically, of the bottom 3 clubs from last year, North look to have the best talent under 21. Their kids look special and they have accrued quite a few now.

Watson over Curtin is going to haunt them.

Only knock I’ve got on Christian is his disposal could be better, played well today only caught 3/4 of the game but him and Smillie out performed the Oak midfield for me. His two goals topped off a great start to the year. Did you say last year you knew him or related?

Reid got a bit of it in the Sandi game, was a funny game though, quite a strong wind blowing to one end and made for a pretty messy affair particularly for foot skills.
Harrison Oliver impressed as did Nathaniel Sulzberger( what a name). Taj Hotton got a heap of it but was messy with his skill execution and missed a handful of chances.
So match of the round is shown on Kommunity tv which unless you subscribe you can’t watch live. The replay was a better quality picture than the other games so I guess that’s a good thing.
Yeah, wouldn't call him elite disposal like Sheezel, Diacos or MacKenzie it's more his movement in at stoppages where he finds the outside very easily and releases other players but is quick to link up again. His handballing and movement in stoppages is very very good, his open play kicking is good but could be better.

I like him for the reasons listed above and that he can play half forward and mid and be extremely dangerous at both, loves a goal and at school footy has kicked some absolute bags. My nephew is in year 12 with him at school.
e
Harrison Oliver, is a good mates' business partners son so glad he impressed - had the same scenario last year with Lorenz. Always good to hear what's happening in the background throughout the year.

It's funny, I don't recall it being overly windy here over the weekend. But both those grounds are bayside so always a bit more blowy down this way.

It’s clear our intent and pressure is better that’s for sure. Unfortunately our skill level seems to have gotten even worse though. I honestly think if we had a decent kicker or two in our back half, we wouldn’t be remotely as bad as we are. All our half back options are so bloody poor by foot.

Oh no, you are wrong, Cole is the best thing…ever! Don’t criticise Cole. He bombs it well long.

They also bottom out when draft was perceived as average.

At least we hit jackpot with Reid. Imagine if we finished 3rd last year…we would be folding like crazy, curtin or not.

Yeah, wouldn't call him elite disposal like Sheezel, Diacos or MacKenzie it's more his movement in at stoppages where he finds the outside very easily and releases other players but is quick to link up again. His handballing and movement in stoppages is very very good, his open play kicking is good but could be better.

I like him for the reasons listed above and that he can play half forward and mid and be extremely dangerous at both, loves a goal and at school footy has kicked some absolute bags. My nephew is in year 12 with him at school.
e
Harrison Oliver, is a good mates' business partners son so glad he impressed - had the same scenario last year with Lorenz. Always good to hear what's happening in the background throughout the year.

It's funny, I don't recall it being overly windy here over the weekend. But both those grounds are bayside so always a bit more blowy down this way.
I know someone who's played Basketball against Moraes, apparently he's unreal. Like you say his kicking isn't great (it's by no means terrible either), but he moves through congestion like a hot knife through butter at times.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back