Winter Could/should Sochi be stripped of the Olympics?

Remove this Banner Ad

brucetiki

Guest of Her Majesty
Nov 7, 2002
Wentworth Detention Ctr
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide, Centrals
Russia has recently passed a raft of laws 'cracking down' on homosexuality, where homosexuality isn't technically illegal, but things like 'holding hands' and possession of homosexual 'propoganda' (such as a rainbow pin or a gay pride flag, or even talking about homosexuality in a positive manner) could land a person in jail - http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/...pics_n_3696611.html?ncid=edlinkusaolp00000009, http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/ol...8217s-gay-debate/story-fnii5s3y-1226690670532.

Despite the IOC advising they have been assured by the Russian government that the laws won't affect those attending the Olympics (as spectators or participants), Russia's Sports minister Vitaly Motko has come out and warned that any Olympic attendee will be held to account to these laws (i.e. any homosexual athlete or spectator could be jailed if they portray homosexuality in a positive light).

Now we know the IOC don't really give a rip about human rights abuses in host countries (after all, Beijing did host the 2008 Summer Olympics), however if Olympic athletes, such as New Zealand speed skater Blake Skjellerup (who has indicated he will wear a rainbow pin at the games), face persecution or imprisonment for something as minor as wearing a rainbow pin, could (or should) the IOC intervene, and make a decision to strip Sochi of the games because some athletes and spectators could not compete safely in Sochi?

Like you said, they've already had the Olympics in China why should they take them away from Russia? Also human rights doesn't matter, its just about who puts up the money. They would have the Olympics in Damascus if they were up for it and had the money. That's all these corrupt sporting organisations care about, hence the ridiculousness of Qatar hosting the soccer world cup.

If you are visiting another country, I think it is polite to observe their customs. If you choose to make a protest against their customs or politics (like bull-fighting in Spain, sharia law in Saudi Arabia, Japanese whaling, treatment of boat people in Australia or homosexual propaganda in Russia - for example), you can expect to face sanctions in that country. If you choose to make a protest through normal accepted International Channels (your own government, UN etc) - that's also fine.

But if you go under one pretence (ie sport) and then use your position to make a protest - well, you're just grandstanding. Protest to the IAAF for organizing the event in a country that has customs and policies you don't agree with - and don't bloody go.

To make change you have to keep engaging with the entity you want to change.

Once you stop interacting the opportunity for change is lost.

Part of that interaction would be protesting their laws while you are there. I wonder if we'll see a same-sex snog on the winners podium? :D

Part of that interaction would be protesting their laws while you are there. I wonder if we'll see a same-sex snog on the winners podium? :D

You mean like at the Athletics World Championship last year in Moscow when two Female Russian runners went the snog on the podium. The idea is certainly there and I would think protests from athletes are certain to take place.

Like you said, they've already had the Olympics in China why should they take them away from Russia? Also human rights doesn't matter, its just about who puts up the money. They would have the Olympics in Damascus if they were up for it and had the money. That's all these corrupt sporting organisations care about, hence the ridiculousness of Qatar hosting the soccer world cup.

Not to mention having the Games in Utah once!

http://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...f0baf0-8548-11e3-9dd4-e7278db80d86_story.html

I still can't even.....!

Er do you mean like 'vodka nockers' or persistently irrational outsiders telling others what they should do for their own amusement?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back