Strategy Could/Would/Should This Work?

Remove this Banner Ad

Kruezar is also very quiet and introverted, would never make a good captain.
Unfortunately this is most of our list. That's what's so great about Cripps, Bell, Docherty and maybe Menzel. They are more extroverted and aggressive. That's why we needed to pay overs and bring somebody like Daisy to the club.

What's to stop us gradually increasing Levi's time in the ruck? I've been advocating this fir a little while now.

Essentially he has most of the attributes of a very good ruckman and I believe his kicking for goal would actually improve with greater confidence gained from more involvement in general play.
Would be good to see a fit Kreuz and have him and Levi sharing the ruck/forward role 50/50.

With a few players hopefully due back in the next few weeks, this should hopefully make selection a bit trickier and the team a bit stronger (in theory). With Menzel probably due back this week, Thomas now back, Kreuzer getting his second VFL game you would imagine. The two Irish lads shouldn't be too far away and wouldn't imagine that Simmo would be out for too long (if only because he never is), I'd like to finally see Walker moved forward again. I know a few of us have been asking for it for a few weeks (prior to the season even), but his disposal has been pretty poor and damaging out of the back line. Jones has had his chance. I've actually been pretty happy with what he's been doing around the ground (considering he was criticised for his work rate). He's been crashing packs, creating contests, chasing and tackling, but just not doing enough damage on the scoreboard. One game isn't enough for me to claim that Levi is cured, but it's a good start. I'd like to see Watson given a good 4+ week stretch now to show something.
This is the line up I'd like to see in the very near future:
FB: Byrne, Jamison, Jaksch
HB: Yarran, Rowe, Docherty
C: Thomas, Gibbs, Simpson
HF: Watson, Casboult, Murphy
FF: Menzel, Henderson, Walker
Ruck: Cripps, Gibbs, Kreuzer
I/C: Judd, Bell, Everitt, Whiley
Unlucky: Boekhorst, Buckley, Sheehan, Tuohy, White - these guys would be rotated through with injury and form
I would try to find games every now and then for: Dick, Fields, Graham, Holman, Johnson, Smith, DVR
I would struggle to find games for: Army, Carrazzo, Curnow, Ellard, Warnock

I'd like to see a bit more of the running game that we were apparently given the green light to play more of. Play on at every opportunity, run, carry, spread. It's not too hard and it's what we seem to be better at doing.
I'd be happy to see a few players switched around a bit. Kreuzer and Levi to share ruck/forward evenly. Rowe and Hendo to switch. Jaksch can come forward at times.
Some of those spots are up for grabs and you can make cases why some of those should/shouldn't be in the side, but how good would it be to see a side like this up and about?

Was it just me, or did we increase Levi's time in the ruck this w/end?
Unfortunately (or fortunately), I missed a fair bit of the game, but if so, great. He still managed 4 goals. Hopefully this is the start of him turning things around, but I'm not going to get too excited after one game.

Cas had a ripper of a game. Competed in the ruck, presented across the half-forward..4 goals - icing/cake...and the fact he actually looked upset...I want to see him repeat this role next week
I'm extremely nervous about next week. After the way GWS rolled Hawthorn, we could be in for some serious arse pounding. Based on recent weeks, our guys won't be able to keep up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One game isn't enough for me to claim that Levi is cured, but it's a good start. I'd like to see Watson given a good 4+ week stretch now to show something.

Agreed. We need three decent sized forwards and with Henderson back Watson could make the effective third. Jones is playing like crap, and needs more input from coaches into his limited brain.

Don't forget we've lost our three highest scoring forwards for three years in a row in Eddie, Garlett and Waite - which practically guaranteed a dive to the bottom of the ladder. But if we can keep Casboult and Henderson forward with Watson as a third target then maybe we could get over the "desparate long bomb kicks into the 50" syndrome. No team can keep a positive mindset without kicking goals.

Bell is maturing into a solid attacking mid. Walker should be on the wing, he needs more game time out of defence to run into form. With Simmo and Yarran back we should have a little more depth down back, although I can't see us winning anything in a hurry.

Agreed. We need three decent sized forwards and with Henderson back Watson could make the effective third. Jones is playing like crap, and needs more input from coaches into his limited brain.

Don't forget we've lost our three highest scoring forwards for three years in a row in Eddie, Garlett and Waite - which practically guaranteed a dive to the bottom of the ladder. But if we can keep Casboult and Henderson forward with Watson as a third target then maybe we could get over the "desparate long bomb kicks into the 50" syndrome. No team can keep a positive mindset without kicking goals.

Bell is maturing into a solid attacking mid. Walker should be on the wing, he needs more game time out of defence to run into form. With Simmo and Yarran back we should have a little more depth down back, although I can't see us winning anything in a hurry.
Do we really want Walker delivering the ball inside 50 at the moment? He's destroying us with his foot skills. I'd prefer it if the only thing he was kicking at at the moment, is the sticks.

Do we really want Walker delivering the ball inside 50 at the moment? He's destroying us with his foot skills. I'd prefer it if the only thing he was kicking at at the moment, is the sticks.

Agreed, but is it any worse than him kicking out of the backline and handing it to the opposing mids?

I'm extremely nervous about next week. After the way GWS rolled Hawthorn, we could be in for some serious arse pounding. Based on recent weeks, our guys won't be able to keep up.

Thanks for the imagery! GWS are still inconsistent. Opportunity for us to get stuck in while they are still starry eyed...unless that is the Hawks game was the catalyst for their surge up the table. Then we are ****ed...

Menzel needs to look at Steve Johnson for ideas on how to be a damaging forward that is handy through the midfield.

Curnow needs retraining in the VFL to see if he can become attacking, needs to work with Carrpts who turned himself into an accumulating tagger.

Casboult needs to play as a ruck/forward as his goal kicking is the only reason he is not the best at this role behind Roughead.

These are the ones that can be worked on to get results right now, the rest is just speculation.
Need I remind you guys Curnow is an accumulating tagger. He was leading out best and fairest last year up until his injury and rightfully so. And i'm pretty sure he had a fair amount of the pill last night. In the first half when we were playing well anyway.

Curnow is not out biggest issue

Remove this Banner Ad

Back