Autopsy 2023 Round 14 We needed this! Blues break the drought with big win over Suns

Who played well for the Blues in Rd 14 vs the Suns?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Disagree strongly.

Even in Q1 it was evident we were taking the game on a lot more.....

TDK/Pitto negated Witts and our mids were well over due to put in a 'good one'....

GC simply couldn't get their hands on the pill enough (our boys have been there plenty in recent months)_and our tackling/general pressure was above AFL average....

We still won Q3 and Q4 and arguably should have won Q1 too.

Tackles were 69 to 51 (we more than doubles our tackle count from the previous week). So they weren't that bad!

Plus we found some efficiency I50 - and kicked straight!
It was a good day! I’m not denying that. I don’t think it’s sustainable though. 50 points from stoppages is crazy. What happens the next time when we can’t score from that source? Then we’d have to rely on forward half turnovers and transition defence. We didn’t particularly defend that well in the second half. We can only hang our hat on a stat that isn’t really a great scoring source. I watched the game again and it’s almost never going to go that way again.

It was a good day! I’m not denying that. I don’t think it’s sustainable though. 50 points from stoppages is crazy. What happens the next time when we can’t score from that source? Then we’d have to rely on forward half turnovers and transition defence. We didn’t particularly defend that well in the second half. We can only hang our hat on a stat that isn’t really a great scoring source. I watched the game again and it’s almost never going to go that way again.
Agreed, that's not sustainable.

And we took a few bad options in Q3 particularly (got a bit cute).

But GC had been in good form, very good form really, bye notwithstanding.

Carlton 22 need 7 wins = 28 50 points
Wins: Hawks, Freo, Eagles, Saints, Suns, Giants, Dees
Losses: Coll, Port

Adel: Wins 5=20 point 28point =48 points
Wins: North, Giants, suns, swans, eagles
Losses: Coll, Ess, Mel, Lions, Port

Ess: 5 = 20 point + 32 points = 52
Wins: Crows, swans, eagles, North, Giants
Losses Freo (A), port, Cats, dogs, pies

Richmond 4=16 points + 26 point = 42
Wins: Swans, eagles, Hawks, North
Losses: Lions, Dees, Dogs, Saints, Port

Geelong :5=24points +24 = 48
Wins: Mel, North, Ess, Freo, Dogs
Losses: Swans, Lions, Port, Coll, Saints

If this occurs then there is one spot left at 48 points+

So if Geelong beats Sydney or the Saints we are out of finals with 12 wins

Or if Adelaide beats * and * beats Dogs or Freo we are also out

Pretty sure we are going to need 13 wins to qualify…

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

So if Geelong beats Sydney or the Saints we are out of finals with 12 wins

Or if Adelaide beats * and * beats Dogs or Freo we are also out

Pretty sure we are going to need 13 wins to qualify…

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Same could be said if they drop one of the games I listed as a win; like losing to Melbourne tonight for example. Geelong actually need 6 wins to get to 48 points.

Agreed, that's not sustainable.

And we took a few bad options in Q3 particularly (got a bit cute).

But GC had been in good form, very good form really, bye notwithstanding.
I will say this though, our pressure was really good for about 80% of the match. The mobility of our 22 was the best it looked for ages.

Last year when they beat us, the big reason they did was because they played 1on1 at the stoppages and wrestled with us. Teams figured out this was something our midfield didn't like and other sides beat us this way as well.

We've been standing and wrestling at stoppages all season. After 1/4 time we decided we would avoid this and get our feet moving. Made all the difference having our inside players on the move around stoppages.

That and having the half backs running through from behind the contest.

Hawthorn in our next game, it's another big opportunity to build this running game we seem to be trying to create.

Hawks were the first team to really work us out last year, throw in the bye and we're set for a bigger test than many fans would care to admit

Last year when they beat us, the big reason they did was because they played 1on1 at the stoppages and wrestled with us. Teams figured out this was something our midfield didn't like and other sides beat us this way as well.

We've been standing and wrestling at stoppages all season. After 1/4 time we decided we would avoid this and get our feet moving. Made all the difference having our inside players on the move around stoppages.

That and having the half backs running through from behind the contest.

Hawthorn in our next game, it's another big opportunity to build this running game we seem to be trying to create.
Your game style observations seem accurate, I'm not convinced that the coaches/club/players see it though.

Frustrating thing is, if we as "casual" observers can see these things from a distance , what are those on the inside seeing?

The chasm between our business as usual approach this season and what we produced against the Gold Coast makes the Grand Canyon look like an irrigation ditch.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Our setups were better and more like last year.
We had Cerra, Walsh, Kennedy, and Cripps on ball. We had Doc on a wing. We had Boyd, Newman and Cincotta as small defenders allowing Saad to be more offensive. We had Martin and Cuningham forward. Martin is just pure class and a big loss for most of the season, just as Williams has been.
All in all - better setup.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Our setups were better and more like last year.
We had Cerra, Walsh, Kennedy, and Cripps on ball. We had Doc on a wing. We had Boyd, Newman and Cincotta as small defenders allowing Saad to be more offensive. We had Martin and Cuningham forward. Martin is just pure class and a big loss for most of the season, just as Williams has been.
All in all - better setup.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
We also went with more pace and tackling. Fisher never chases and tackles, never has. Silvagni is slow and not as strong in the air as TDK was. Hewett is slow. Motlop becomes slow quickly due to lack of tank. O'Brien doesn't tackle. Young is slow. Replaced them with guys who can run and will tackle. Also brought in two forwards who rotated into the middle and looked after our mids. It really was a much better team setup.

Your game style observations seem accurate, I'm not convinced that the coaches/club/players see it though.

Frustrating thing is, if we as "casual" observers can see these things from a distance , what are those on the inside seeing?

The chasm between our business as usual approach this season and what we produced against the Gold Coast makes the Grand Canyon look like an irrigation ditch.
Time will tell, we will have to see if we repeat it.

Hawks were the first team to really work us out last year, throw in the bye and we're set for a bigger test than many fans would care to admit
100%. Going into a pressure around the ball game style is what Clarkson did with them and last year Mitchell did to us. Teams realised that pressure around the ball, one on one and wrestle with us was the recipe to beating us. Has been for 20 years TBH.

Good sides have two modes, hunt the footy at stoppages, try get a lose outlet or play close and apply pressure as plan B, intercept from behind and take what clearances you can get. Collingwood have used that as their plan A and been very good at it. Suites the modern game with a fast footed team.

Hawks showed the rest of the comp with their massive comeback. Reckon they will try it again.

Was a frustrating game that one. From memory they kept slingshotting out from their defence. They recognized and monopolized on our poor entries.

Realism -

the attitude or practice of accepting a situation as it is and being prepared to deal with it, ideally in a way showing some level of maturity and emotional growth......

So it's immature of me to suggest Gold coast didn't turn up to play, applied zero pressure and that we more than likely will see the same old Carlton v Hawthorn? To suggest for others to maintain a little perspective? To show some level of emotion and frustration at our current predicament?

Well I guess I'm immature then! :grinning:

So it's immature of me to suggest Gold coast didn't turn up to play, applied zero pressure and that we more than likely will see the same old Carlton v Hawthorn? To suggest for others to maintain a little perspective? To show some level of emotion and frustration at our current predicament?

Well I guess I'm immature then! :grinning:
correct

100%. Going into a pressure around the ball game style is what Clarkson did with them and last year Mitchell did to us. Teams realised that pressure around the ball, one on one and wrestle with us was the recipe to beating us. Has been for 20 years TBH.

Good sides have two modes, hunt the footy at stoppages, try get a lose outlet or play close and apply pressure as plan B, intercept from behind and take what clearances you can get. Collingwood have used that as their plan A and been very good at it. Suites the modern game with a fast footed team.

Hawks showed the rest of the comp with their massive comeback. Reckon they will try it again.

I think all bad sides try and do the same as well. Usually teh difference between a team that wins on a day versus teh team that loses (apart from umps of course) is one side did the same stuff better...

Amazing what winning a CBB and kicking straight versus crooked can do to the chances of winning or losing too - but that is just 'statistics'.

Finally watched the replay and Ill put my hand up as being one of Martins biggest critics but damn he showed his class and composure, when in the forward forward pcoket and he burned his defender to set up Cerra, pure bliss!! Please stay healthy, we desperately need that sort of composure and skill. I thought Cunners performed above my expectations. Kemp was superb and Weitering looked more comfortable with our backline set up as did Saad.

I didn't see a a change to the gameplan, our players just turned up and were switched on. I've been very critical of Vossy and the jury is still out however if this is the start of a culmination of the gameplan he is trying to implement and we just haven't had the class to pull it off then Ill change my mind. However I am wary, it was just one win, a very good win but I want to see that backed up with a solid win against the Hawks who also have a young yet tenacious side that we should hopefully bully around the stoppages and clearances. This hopefully leads to confidence and dare during the game, to take the game on, run in overlap and trust your teammates. Not every passage of play will come off but don't go back into your shells of mindless short kicks across half back resulting a slow build up, use this as a spring board for fast ball movement out of the defence and hit up targets in the corridor.

The Hawks have changed the way they play fair bit this year. They are far more focussed at winning clearance than they were last year which is what understandable in Mitchell’s first year but I think what we are currently seeing is more in line with how Mitchell wants them to play.

When they played us last year they were in retreat early after our strong start and just took the game back to effort and pressure which almost worked. It’ll be interesting to see if they revert to that plan for our game or try and play their new style. I suspect they will do a bit of both.

Back