Autopsy 2023 Round 14 We needed this! Blues break the drought with big win over Suns

Who played well for the Blues in Rd 14 vs the Suns?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Nice win, we would have inked this one at the start of the season if it had gone to plan though.

8.2 from Centre clearance in a clear anomaly, 6 in the 2nd quarter, and is not sustainable. Outside of that, it was an enjoyable grind.

Some really encouraging signs with strong forward momentum and players backing themselves through the centre with a fearless aggression. Smaller, speedier types made this much more sustainable going forward. Cuners, Dow, Boyd, Cinc, Saad and even Fog looked nippy and dangerous.

Cez BOG Gun!

Walsh, Saad, Newman and Doc were so dangerous by foot. More please.

Kemp. Love it. Plenty more please!

Weitering and Gov with Kemp looks much more solid than having Young back there. Small sample size against a side that fell over with zero ticker though.

Can’t believe Foldies didn’t put more work into Cripps. Idiots.

King and Pitt dominant in the ruck and finally King shook off the cement gloves. Nice clunking. Witts no mug either.

Where the hell has this forward pressure been? Pressure anywhere really? Martin clever, Owies tenacious, Welcome back H!

Cottrell out suspended for the next one opens things up for Dow to get a full game. Looked nippy at the clearance. Give him a block and see what we have please Vossy.

Thanks boys.

1687253372432.jpeg

Last edited:

So I'm a bit torn about his win. That was the most flat I've seen the Suns for a long time... they got the bye bug hard. Not only did they not get off the plane, I'm not sure they ever even got on the plane.

Even then, it still took us a qtr or so to realise they weren't up to it and actually put the foot down. A little slow at reacting to that and not really showing much killer instinct if I'm being harsh. However, having said that, once we did notice and make a push we really did. Those centre clearance goals were just dominant, it looked like men against boys for a while there.

Cez looked good, I like Cincotta, TDK was up. I'd still love to see Charlie deeper inside 50 than H - like last yr and the first month or so this yr - but they seem to be sticking with this plan.

We were dominant at times, but we were dominant against a wet handkerchief. So I'm not quite sure how much to take out of this win. I'll take the win for sure and enjoy it, but I can't really get that excited about it as that was not an "up" team we were playing.

Fair point.

But watch the replay again and you’ll notice the one percenters a lot more.

Shepherding/Spoils/Tap ons/Enthusiasm

That’s more about us than them.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

It would have to be Binns
After hearing the interview with Ebert before the Williamstown VFL match, it appears the reason he hasn't been selected previously is that the development coaches have been holding him back.

Seems this would be the perfect opportunity for him to debut though - up against a young opposition, so he's less likely to be 'beaten up'. I reckons we'll be hearing a big announcement next week.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We need to get a string of wins going....

Both the Hawks (especially minus Sicily) and Freo games are very winnable.

Win those two and we'll be on the cusp of the 8 again.

After that, the run home:

Port (Marvel)
West Coast (Marvel)
Pies (G)
Saints (Marvel)
Dees (G)
Gold Coast (away)
GWS (Marvel)

So, we need to win a few of the Saints, Port, Pies, Dees - go 2-2 on those 4 and win the rest?

No easy games in the big league!
If we could just beat one or two of Pies, Port, Saints and Dees in the run home I’d be thrilled

I’d reward Dow with a full game. He can’t be sub 4 games in a row, particularly when he’s done well when he’s come on.
Binns and Dow in.
Cottrell and Fogarty out. Fog - sub.

Binns plays Cottrell role.
Dow becomes part of midfield rotation.
Kennedy, Cripps, Martin, Cuningham more minutes forward.
Agree Dow needs a full game but didn’t fog have a good game? Bit rough to drop after 1 game particularly if he played a role.

Having said that I’m not sure who would make way for Dow.

"We won".

"Really? Damn. Now what do I do?"

0WI49Pk_HJdSLxzlc.jpg

I’d reward Dow with a full game. He can’t be sub 4 games in a row, particularly when he’s done well when he’s come on.
Binns and Dow in.
Cottrell and Fogarty out. Fog - sub.

Binns plays Cottrell role.
Dow becomes part of midfield rotation.
Kennedy, Cripps, Martin, Cuningham more minutes forward.

Fog won’t be dropped and shouldn’t be sub.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

There gets to be a tipping point in which a high draft pick becomes more appealing than the prospect of a better performance for the remainder of the season. That's the system that's put in place. Forgive people for actually thinking we'd reached that point. I'd also quit with the purity test regarding who is or isn't a 'supporter'.
I think we need to lose this whole tanking/playing for draft picks mentality. It possibly has in our case contributed to a poor/losing culture over the years imo.

We need to develop a winning culture (like the pre 2002 Carlton) where defeat is unacceptable. Tanking, high draft picks, green shoots and the latest in vogue buzzword nourishment, are words that need to be abolished from the Carlton vernacular!

Forget about draft picks i say and finish the season as strong as possible. We're still in with an outside chance of playing finals footy after all, despite being so poor for most of the year.

Last edited:
Back