Covers that are better than the original ...

Remove this Banner Ad

They are great aren't they? One of the benefits of the BigFooty North Board - I've got our own mark73 to thank for turning me on to Warren Haynes!
do you have their compilation "The Deepest End" ? (2 x cd's and a dvd of entire concert in New Orleans 2003,
was after they lost their bass player and features a variety of guest bass players such as roger glover,jason newstead,and heaps of others,about 3 hours of great stuff,had to get it sent over from the states at the time,but it is probably available here now

do you have their compilation "The Deepest End" ? (2 x cd's and a dvd of entire concert in New Orleans 2003,
was after they lost their bass player and features a variety of guest bass players such as roger glover,jason newstead,and heaps of others,about 3 hours of great stuff,had to get it sent over from the states at the time,but it is probably available here now

The dvd is excellent. Could there be a better show opener than Bad Little Doggie?

A collector friend lent the set to me and I put the cds on my iPod and watched the dvd that many times it's probably worn out. He also lent me ''The Deep End'' triple cd. It has a killer 10 minute version of ZZ Top's Jesus Just Left Chicago with Chuck Leavell and Page McConnell playing a 4 minute piano and organ intro. And ''Live.....With a Little Help From My Friends'' which has great versions of the Allman's Gamblers Roll and Robert Johnson's 32/20 Blues featuring Derek Trucks. So much magnificent stuff - I could go on and on.....

He shops for his Mule stuff at Basement Discs in Melbourne.

Some more Jerry Douglas and assorted friends on Tulsa Time, an old Don Williams song. Jerry takes the first lead break, then Vince Gill, Albert Lee and Clapton. This will bring a smile to most music lovers' dials.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Who has franjon for doing the same thing. :)

I still haven't heard a better Chicago style blues song than it's not my cross to bear by the boys.

Franjon has excellent taste in music. How about this little minor blues?

Legends paying tribute to legends

The Rifles have always known how to belt out a great cover or two.

Here's one from a compilation of Australian bands doing Stooges covers (the compilation is named Hard to Beat - my vinyl copy is tucked away in storage).

This version of Gimme Danger is awesome.

TRUE METAL!

So much awesomeness there...

Don't scroll past this one.

Ann and Nancy Wilson, with Jason Bonham on drums and an orchestral and choral arrangement do a brilliant cover of STH.

WOW....... and not a lot of pressure to perform, what with the audience and all !! A quick search reveals some other passable Zep covers from the same night, but nothing as good as this. :thumbsu: Great get HTB.

^^^^^:thumbsu:

Beautifully performed. Is that Jimmy Page or Sir James Page, 3rd Earl of Dorchester in the audience on Robert Plant's right? He is almost unrecognisable? And is it John Paul Jones sitting on Plant's left? I would never have recognised him even when the band was flying.

My Fave is Jimi Hendrix's "All Along The Watchtower"! Dylan's version doesn't quite do it for me, but, he did write it! Still think it sounds great nowadays!
Wasn't Dylan quoted along the lines of "I wrote All Along the Watchtower, but it's a Jimi' Hendrix song"

would anyone venture a guess as to exactly how many covers of "stairway to heaven" there have been,surely guiness book of records territory,probably whatever the quoted number triple or quadruple it for unofficial versions

Remember Andrew Denton's Money or the Gun with it's Stairways To Heaven segment?

Stairways to Heaven
Each week a guest would perform their own version of Led Zeppelin's "Stairway to Heaven". Versions would occasionally tie in with the theme of the episode ("Guns - the Musical" had a Broadway-style version by Jodie Gilles as the conclusion, while the episode on Australian Comedy had the Doug Anthony All Stars performing it with the assistance of Barry Crocker) but the most surprising of all was the version by Rolf Harris which eventually reached number 7 on the UK singles chart. Generally the performance of "Stairway" would be a break in the program and the artists would have no other part in the program.
Performers and styles included:
Two compilations of the performances were released in 1992: a video which featured 25 of the 26 performances,[1] and an album, called "Stairways to Heaven", which featured 22 of 26 the performances. [2] An album consisting of 12 tracks was released internationally in 1995

"......but the most surprising of all was the version by Rolf Harris which eventually reached number 7 on the UK"

Plant and Page returned the compliment years later on the Denton show when they performed Rolf Harris's Sun Arise.

would anyone venture a guess as to exactly how many covers of "stairway to heaven" there have been,surely guiness book of records territory,probably whatever the quoted number triple or quadruple it for unofficial versions

A limiting factor would be its length and complexity and the fact that the original is so ******* good. s**t performers of it would get booed off stage after two minutes. Whereas there's plenty of simple three minute songs that people can passably cover.

I found this in wikipedia:

The song has been covered a number of times. Rolf Harris's didgeridoo-and-wobble board interpretation reached number seven in the UK charts in 1993.[70] His version was one of 26 different versions of the song that were performed live by guest stars on the early 1990s Australian chat show The Money or the Gun – each being a unique version of the song in the usually idiosyncratic style of performance of each guest star. A video and CD album[71] were released featuring 25 and 22 of the performances, respectively.
Dolly Parton released a stripped down acoustic cover of the song in 2002; Plant spoke highly of Parton's version, noting that he was pleasantly surprised with how her version turned out.[72][dead link]
In 1977, Little Roger and the Goosebumps recorded a parody of the song in which the words to the theme song of the television show Gilligan's Island were sung in place of the original lyrics. Within five weeks, Led Zeppelin's lawyers threatened to sue them and demanded that any remaining copies of the recording be destroyed. The group won the damages in the suit, and Little Roger and the Goosebumps had to pay thousands of dollars in damages. However, during a 2005 interview on National Public Radio, Plant referred to the tune as his favourite cover of "Stairway to Heaven."[73]
The sketch comedy series SCTV had an elaborate spoof of the song with its spoof album Stairways to Heaven. In the mock album, advertised in the style of K-tel, various snippets of cover versions are featured, supposedly from artists ranging from Slim Whitman to the faux-50s group "The Five Neat Guys," as well as the original version (albeit advertised to be a sound-alike sung by Rich Little). This sketch, due to rights issues, was not released on the DVDs for the show.
A version by Far Corporation was released in 1985 and reached number 8 in the UK singles chart.[74]
Frank Zappa created an arrangement of the song as one of the centrepieces of his 1988 tour. The arrangement, as heard on the album The Best Band You Never Heard In Your Life, features the horn section of Zappa's band playing Jimmy Page's guitar solo.
Australian physicist and composer Joe Wolfe composed a set of variations on "Stairway to Heaven." This work, The Stairway Suite, is composed for orchestra, big band, chorus, and SATB. Each variation is in the style of a famous composer: Franz Schubert, Gustav Holst, Glenn Miller, Gustav Mahler, Georges Bizet, and Ludwig van Beethoven. For example, the Schubert inspired variation is based on the Unfinished Symphony, and the Beethoven inspired variation includes vocal soloists and chorus and resembles Beethoven's Ninth Symphony.[75] Wolfe posted the full score of this piece on the Internet.[76]
In the movie Wayne's World, Wayne (played by Mike Myers) takes a guitar and plays several notes of the song in the original theatrical release. In the scene, Wayne is almost immediately stopped by a store employee who points to a "No Stairway" sign. This referenced the fact that so many people have attempted the song on guitar while at music stores in the UK, employees became sick of hearing it and banned patrons from playing "Stairway," threatening them with fines or removal. In the video releases and television airings of the movie, however, the notes are changed to a generic guitar riff due to licensing restrictions imposed by the band.
Heart performed a cover of the song at least once in 1976; the 2004 reissue of the band's album Little Queen includes a recording as a bonus track. In 2012, Heart performed the song in tribute to Led Zeppelin at the Kennedy Center Honors.
In 2010, Mary J. Blige released a version on her album Stronger with Each Tear featuring Travis Barker on drums, Steve Vai and Orianthi on guitar, Randy Jackson on bass and Geffen Records chair Ron Fair on piano. Blige performed the song on American Idol with Barker, Vai, Orianthi, and Jackson; the recording was released via download for charity.[77]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back