Craig Moore Injured In Comeback

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 27, 2003
Kensington Gardens
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
B'ham CityFC Adelaide United FC
Looks like we're going to Montevideo without the captain & number 1 defender. :(

Moore injured in comeback

October 19, 2005

FORMER Australia captain Craig Moore's hopes of playing in next month's World Cup qualifiers with Uruguay suffered a new setback today (AEST).

In his first match for Newcastle United, Moore was injured playing for the reserves against Birmingham City.

He has missed the start of the season with a hamstring injury after an off-season switch from German club Borussia Moenchengladbach.

Newcastle's website reports the Socceroos defender was forced out of the match at half-time after limping off with a knock sustained late in the first half.

Moore's injury problems and subsequent lack of match play are a concern for the Socceroos.

Birmingham's Australia star, Stan Lazaridis, was also replaced at half-time as his team won 2-0.

I can't believe we bent over in negotiations with him.

"Craig, we'll give you a one-year contract with an option to extend."
"No. It's a guaranteed two years or you can kiss me goodbye."
"Okay, okay! We're sorry. Welcome to Newcastle United!... Please?!!"

Fit or not, he'd be lucky to make the Bling's starting lineup if we hadn't thrown him a lifeline.

Speaking on Sydney radio, Kevin Muscat said he'd spoken to Craig Moore after his injury and Moore had told him it didn't look good for him to be fit for the Australian qualfiers.

The Hitman said:
Well, if he is gone it means two things: Viduka will be captain, and Muscat needs to play.
Yes but Muscat can't play on Morales and that is who Moore was pencilled in for.My guess would be Thwaite or they'll have to start with Ljubo Milicevic.I wouldn't but you need someone to be able to body Morales and those two are probably the most likely.Maybe Neill but he will be needed elsewhere.

Ray Nolan said:
It's got to be Thwaite or Milicevic on Morales for sure. If we play Kev we have to hope he doesn't get burned for pace by Zalayeta, Forlan & Recoba. Maybe he should come on as a sub later in the game to 'do the job' as it were.
Stopping Richard Morales to some degree takes Zalayeta and Recoba out of the game.Yes they will have to be watched like hawks but if you stem the flow from Morales, they will have to work harder for opportunities and Recoba is more of a "receiver" so that would go a long way to nullifying their fronts.
Personally I think we need to be ultra defensive early to frustrate them.Our front half will score against their defence sooner or later wherever the game is played but we need to ******** them off,so to speak,because if we can do that for a better part of the game,this mob will drop their bundle I assure you.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back