Cricket Australia contracts

Remove this Banner Ad

Cricket Australia (CA) today announced the list of 18 players being offered CA contracts for 2014-15 as, chosen by the National Selection Panel (NSP).

The year ahead includes Test matches against Pakistan, India, the West Indies and England while in the one-day international arena Australia’s focus will be on preparing for a successful home summer, including the ICC Cricket World Cup campaign beginning in February 2015.

The contracts, which cover a 12-month period commencing 1 July 2014, have been awarded to the following players:

CA Contract List for 2014-2015
George Bailey
Michael Clarke
James Faulkner
Aaron Finch
Brad Haddin
Ryan Harris
Phillip Hughes
Mitchell Johnson
Nathan Lyon
Shaun Marsh
Glenn Maxwell
Chris Rogers
James Pattinson
Peter Siddle
Steve Smith
Mitchell Starc
David Warner
Shane Watson

Commenting on the contract list, National Selector John Inverarity said: “The National Selection Panel has today announced a Cricket Australia list of 18 players offered contracts for the 12-month period commencing 1 July 2014. The selection of these players was based both on their performances from July 2013, a period in which Australian teams have had some very significant successes, and the expectation that they will feature prominently in the Australian Test, ODI and T20I sides during the forthcoming period.

“All of the 18 players selected for 2014-15 contracts currently hold a CA playing contract with Chris Rogers, Steve Smith, Aaron Finch and Shaun Marsh having received contract upgrades during the previous period.

“Each of these four players has shown at various times why they are deserving of a contract and we expect them to continue playing an important role for Australia in one or more of the three formats.

“Those who have not been awarded new contracts are Ed Cowan, Patrick Cummins, Xavier Doherty, Ben Hilfenhaus, Clint McKay, Matthew Wade and four players who received upgrades last year, Usman Khawaja, Adam Voges, Nathan Coulter-Nile and Alex Doolan.

“Alex Doolan was close to receiving a contract and he is highly regarded by the NSP as the incumbent number three batsman in our Test line-up. He made his Australian debut less than two months ago and we look forward to him building strongly on the promising start he made in the three Test series in South Africa.

“Nathan Coulter-Nile also came close as he has had some impressive white-ball performances for Australia and was in the Test Squad for much of the Australian summer. The NSP would like to see Nathan continue to progress well and have another strong season in 2014-15,” Inverarity said.

The Memorandum of Understanding between CA and the Australian Cricketers’ Association enables the NSP to select between 17 and 20 players for the contract list.

Last year, 20 players were initially selected for the contracted players list, with an additional eight players upgraded to contracts during the season, having fulfilled the prerequisite of 12 upgrade points. Players receive five points per appearance in the playing XI of a Test, two for an ODI and one per T20 match.

In 2014-15, the minimum CA retainer is $250,000 while players still require 12 upgrade points to earn a CA contract. The value of an ‘upgrade contract’ will be $210,000 in 2014-15.

The state association contracting period now opens, with first round state contracts to be finalised by 17 April and second round contracts to be finalised by 22 April.

http://www.auscricket.com.au/default.aspx?s=article-display&id=2873

Rogers, Finch, Smith and Marsh get upgrades. No Doolan which is interesting.

In all seriousness.

Hughes in line for Rogers slot, just priming him for the the moment though.
Unsure who is the next keeper (obviously dependent on how long Haddin goes around for ).
Unsure who is the next spinner to come through, no love for O Keefe
How did Finch and Marsh retain their contracts, have utterly no idea.

In all seriousness.

Hughes in line for Rogers slot, just priming him for the the moment though.
Unsure who is the next keeper (obviously dependent on how long Haddin goes around for ).
Unsure who is the next spinner to come through, no love for O Keefe
How did Finch and Marsh retain their contracts, have utterly no idea.

World Cup year. Finch is quite obviously currently in the selectors thoughts for the world cup. Marsh as well.

I honestly think we'll be seeing Maxwell in the test team in the UAE now with either Watson or Smith batting at 3 for those two tests.

The lack of a second keeper tells me that Whiteman is probably Haddin's heir.

And the lack of a spinner tells me that Doherty or Ahmed will get the dig if Lyon misses.

World Cup year. Finch is quite obviously currently in the selectors thoughts for the world cup. Marsh as well.

I honestly think we'll be seeing Maxwell in the test team in the UAE now with either Watson or Smith batting at 3 for those two tests.

And the lack of a spinner tells me that Doherty or Ahmed will get the dig if Lyon misses.

Point 1- yep thats true, but help us all in the world cup if he opens.

2. Jeez, he's a great 50 over and 20/20 player but a test player, not so much.

3. Yep, him or Paine as an interim option, after all Gilchrist rates Whiteman highly and his opinion carries weight.

4. Please no, not the uncannily rubbish X Man (at test level anyways).

is the average age a concern to anyone?

There is obviously a stack of talent outside that group, but the average age is 29 by my count

The contracts are for the next year so the age profile doesn't matter. I'd agree about Show going to the UAE but he's also a regular in the short formats. Marsh is probably looking to the World Cup for ODIs and probably more test cricket.

is the average age a concern to anyone?

There is obviously a stack of talent outside that group, but the average age is 29 by my count

Not really. It's for teams that we will actually field- not a development squad.

Clarke, Watson, Haddin, Harris and Johnson are the older players.

The other 13 will be around for a while yet.

Point 1- yep thats true, but help us all in the world cup if he opens.

2. Jeez, he's a great 50 over and 20/20 player but a test player, not so much.

3. Yep, him or Paine as an interim option, after all Gilchrist rates Whiteman highly and his opinion carries weight.

4. Please no, not the uncannily rubbish X Man (at test level anyways).

Maxwell actually looks like he will have half a clue against spin in Asia which is something that only Smith and Clarke in the test team can claim.

For a one off series I'd back him to bat better than Watson, Hughes, Doolan or Marsh in the UAE and probably even Warner, Rogers and Haddin.

Last edited:

Hope so about Whiteman, especially if WA are going to become basket cases again.

Far out, I hope neither of those spin bowlers do. They might as well use Show's part-time stuff, at least you'll get his fielding and smartarse batting out of it too.

Maxwell actually looks like he will half a clue against spin in Asia which is something that only Smith and Clarke in the test team can claim.

For a one off series I'd back him to bat better than Watson, Hughes, Doolan or Marsh in the UAE and probably even Warner, Rogers and Haddin.

Tis true unfortunately.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Does anyone have a stat (or can shoot me a list of past central contracts) of how often we've had only one keeper centrally contracted? Can't imagine it's something that happens too often but I might be wrong.

Maxwell actually looks like he will have half a clue against spin in Asia which is something that only Smith and Clarke in the test team can claim.

he has also had a pretty good shield season - rewarding people for shield form is a novel idea.

McKay unlucky as he should be always in the ODI side but will probably get an upgraded contract once they start playing some more ODIs

McKay and probably Coulter-Nile and Doherty will get upgraded after playing x games. Especially since Harris, Siddle and hopefully Pattinson won't be in line for ODI selection.

McKay and probably Coulter-Nile and Doherty will get upgraded after playing x games. Especially since Harris, Siddle and hopefully Pattinson won't be in line for ODI selection.

From what Harris said in an interview around the third test SA, he's looking forward to coming back to Aus colours in short formats first. I might be mistaken but I could have sworn he said that at some point.

From what Harris said in an interview around the third test SA, he's looking forward to coming back to Aus colours in short formats first. I might be mistaken but I could have sworn he said that at some point.

Definitely has his sights on the WC. Him, MJ and Starc/McKay would be a lethal attack going in. Not sure if he will though if he's got fatigue after the Indian and Pakistan Test series.

Invers said that Doolan only wasn't given one because he hadn't played enough Cricket for Australia to warrant it yet. So he's definitely a lock for 3 in Pakistan. Don't get the big controversy over him not getting one, the blokes pretty raw for the big stage.

Hughes is being set up for taking over Rogers and Marsh can be a pretty big utility in all three forms, bats anywhere.

Definitely has his sights on the WC. Him, MJ and Starc/McKay would be a lethal attack going in. Not sure if he will though if he's got fatigue after the Indian and Pakistan Test series.

Invers said that Doolan only wasn't given one because he hadn't played enough Cricket for Australia to warrant it yet. So he's definitely a lock for 3 in Pakistan. Don't get the big controversy over him not getting one, the blokes pretty raw for the big stage.

Hughes is being set up for taking over Rogers and Marsh can be a pretty big utility in all three forms, bats anywhere.

If Doolan were a lock for the test team he would have gotten a contract.

Doolan looked great, just didn't score any runs and really got bogged down. Not great on the back of a poor shield average. Unless Doolan retains his test spot and makes runs soon I thing his stint will be short as there is some pretty good young batsmen coming through.

Should be looking at guys like Lynn and Maxwell as future test players. Rogers may only have a few more years and Watson is looking more finished ever series. Faulkner has potential to be an all rounder in the test team, especially with the way he bowled in his only test and the way we know he can bat.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back