Cricket Discussion - Part 1

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just read a disturbing report that the South African sports minister, who is black, instructed the South African selectors to drop Kyle Abbott for the semi final against NZ, in favour of Vernon Philander - to comply with the Proteas' quota of 4 coloured players. Apparently AB was so upset by it, that he nearly pulled out of the match.

The crazy thing is that Abbott was fully fit, while Philander's fitness was suspect - yet they still picked him. Oh well: as a great man once said, you get what you deserve.

Just when you think Cricket season is over.

11022571_10153191093094313_305153242153454054_o.jpg

Just read a disturbing report that the South African sports minister, who is black, instructed the South African selectors to drop Kyle Abbott for the semi final against NZ, in favour of Vernon Philander - to comply with the Proteas' quota of 4 coloured players. Apparently AB was so upset by it, that he nearly pulled out of the match.

The crazy thing is that Abbott was fully fit, while Philander's fitness was suspect - yet they still picked him. Oh well: as a great man once said, you get what you deserve.
Abbott was in crazy good form too so if there's any truth to that it probably cost them their World Cup runner up title.

nothing surprises me with that dodgy country, if all the best players are all black or all white who cares, this quota bs might have been ok in 1992 but these days its not necessary. joke of a country, glad they cant win anything.

Just read a disturbing report that the South African sports minister, who is black, instructed the South African selectors to drop Kyle Abbott for the semi final against NZ, in favour of Vernon Philander - to comply with the Proteas' quota of 4 coloured players .....
It's a sensitive area post-Apartheid. South Africa did stunningly well to pull a working society out of that vicious mess, but this is part of the cost. I don't know if this report is true but apparently the racial minimums stuff was much to the forefront a few years back, and if I recall correctly part of the reason Kevin Pietersen played the English background card.

I wouldnt be so sure....

I think the 4 day side will come into it....with clarke and watson ageing he is every chance to grab one of those spots...

Dont let his unorthodox style fool you...his numbers stack up as good as anyone..
Yep: the only thing I'd rule out would be Maxwell batting at 3 again. Smith will be our number 3 for the next 10 years - Maxwell could be a pretty damaging number 6.

nothing surprises me with that dodgy country, if all the best players are all black or all white who cares, this quota bs might have been ok in 1992 but these days its not necessary. joke of a country, glad they cant win anything.

One would like to think that the saffers will one day select their best team regardless of skin colour, but that may take a few more generations.
I can remember them dropping their best wicket keeper some years back and replacing him with a young black guy, who just wasn't up to it, and then having to bite the bullet and reinstate the original keeper.

Racism still runs deep though, it's not that long ago that white south african players were abused during a test match in Perth by ex countrymen (of probably afrikaans descent ) for being `kaffir lovers, ' which they got away with at the time because security staff at the waca weren't smart enough to work out what it meant.

It's a sensitive area post-Apartheid. South Africa did stunningly well to pull a working society out of that vicious mess, but this is part of the cost. I don't know if this report is true but apparently the racial minimums stuff was much to the forefront a few years back, and if I recall correctly part of the reason Kevin Pietersen played the English background card.

Absolutely one of the reasons, if not the main one, for KP leaving South Africa and embarking on a career in England.

The other thing that gives me the sh1ts with the SA Cricket Board is the lack of recognition of the test players before reunification.

Like others above I have no sympathy for them failing miserably at the major tournaments.

One would like to think that the saffers will one day select their best team regardless of skin colour, but that may take a few more generations.
I can remember them dropping their best wicket keeper some years back and replacing him with a young black guy, who just wasn't up to it, and then having to bite the bullet and reinstate the original keeper.

Racism still runs deep though, it's not that long ago that white south african players were abused during a test match in Perth by ex countrymen (of probably afrikaans descent ) for being `kaffir lovers, ' which they got away with at the time because security staff at the waca weren't smart enough to work out what it meant.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I did notice a black selection slogan on a banner in the crowd during the semi v New Zealand. I wondered what it was about so now I know- that old bogey comes back to haunt the Proteas.

Disappointed about the lack of inclusion for Faulkner (not even in the 4 day squad) who's less injury prone & a better player than Mitch Marsh & Watson, interested to see how Fawad Ahmed goes & if he steals Lyons regular spot.

I am not so much disappointed in the squad as I am in the selector's outlook. This squad includes Michael Clarke (34), Brad Haddin (37), Mitchell Johnson (33), Ryan Harris (35), Shane Watson (34), Chris Rogers (38) , Adam Voges (35), Shaun Marsh (32), Fawed Ahmed (33) and one has to ask how many of these are likely to be around in four years time. It would have been good to have seen a younger batsman go along for the experience. Joe Burns showed a bit but the selectors opted for a 35 year old. I am not saying the players listed do not deserve a crack but it is an aged or aging squad and I would have thought investing a little more for the future would have been wise. I suspect that this time nextyear Clarke, and Rogers will be gone leaving Smith and Warner as Australia's only two experienced top order batsmen. Surely the selectors will not persevere with Watson at no 3 or no 4 ?

Nevil is an interesting selection I am not sure about his keeping but his batting record is good so maybe he is a replacement for Haddin?

A guy at work reckons the Poms have criticised the Australian selections for the Ashes series - they've dubbed us "Dad's Army".

They may not be original but they are probably right. Nothing much has changed with the Australian selectors they keep on grasping at short term selections. A couple of years back that was acceptable as there were not many young solutions about but that has changed a bit and guys like Silk, Burns and couple of others have emerged.

I have no problem Fawad Ahmed's selection as he is a leg spinner and the Poms have had problems with this type of bowler but I not sure that Voges and Siddle are the answer.

They may not be original but they are probably right. Nothing much has changed with the Australian selectors they keep on grasping at short term selections. A couple of years back that was acceptable as there were not many young solutions about but that has changed a bit and guys like Silk, Burns and couple of others have emerged.

I have no problem Fawad Ahmed's selection as he is a leg spinner and the Poms have had problems with this type of bowler but I not sure that Voges and Siddle are the answer.
Agree re. Siddle, but I have no problem with Voges' selection. The guy absolutely churned out the runs this season, and therefore more or less demanded selection. My team for the First Test:

Rogers
Warner
Smith
Clarke
Watson
Voges
Haddin
Johnson
Harris
Starc
Lyon/Hazlewood

Agree re. Siddle, but I have no problem with Voges' selection. The guy absolutely churned out the runs this season, and therefore more or less demanded selection.

On that basis they could have picked Max Klinger as well. I am not disputing that Voges deserves his spot but in terms of long term strength Voges' selection does not have a lot going for it. I hope Voges blows them away and we retain the Ashes but I also wish we could stop relying on the likes of Watson, and a couple of 35 year olds to shore up our batting. I thought we may have found someone in Burns but apparently not. I think the selectors like Mitchell Marsh and I would not be surprised if he was in the side for the First Test in the West Indies. I think Shaun Marsh may also play. Everyone seems to want Smith to bat at 3 in the Tests but I am not so sure. He did well in the ODI's but Tests are a different matter. There are no fielding restrictions in Tests and the bowlers get more than 10 overs to exploit the batsman. I would not be surprised if Smith stays at no5 and Shaun Marsh bats at no3. I would sooner have

Warner
Rogers
S Marsh
Clarke
Smith
M Marsh

Than allow Watson anywhere near the top order.

A sad day indeed, a key figure in all of our lives during cricket season.

RIP Ritchie

#brownasaberry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back