Cricket Discussion - Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

If it is a 3 day game I would expect Warwickshire to declare overnight. If that happens it will spare those Durham bowlers some real pain. That pitch must be a belter or the Durham bowlers are worse than average.

Just had look and it is a four day match so maybe the Durham pain will continue for a little longer? Also noticed that Scott Boland is one of the bowlers,he has 0/54. Another Durham bowler is Matthew Potts who has played Test cricket for England he has 0/88.

Last edited:

lol @ the IPL franchise that paid $quillions for The Big Show and Cam Green - Green has been dropped and in his most recent game Maxi got a duck (his third in six innings), had 17 hit off his one over and dropped a catch. He's only scored 32 runs in those six innings and their franchise is rank last.

Still, they'd be crying all the way to the bank as that other great showman used to say.

If it is a 3 day game I would expect Warwickshire to declare overnight. If that happens it will spare those Durham bowlers some real pain. That pitch must be a belter or the Durham bowlers are worse than average.

Just had look and it is a four day match so maybe the Durham pain will continue for a little longer? Also noticed that Scott Boland is one of the bowlers,he has 0/54. Another Durham bowler is Matthew Potts who has played Test cricket for England he has 0/88.

A Kookaburra ball is being used instead of the Dukes.

Warwickshire collapsed on day 2, before declaring at a precarious 3 for 698 :). They then bowled Durham out for just 517, and then enforced the follow on - it's 2 for 12, heading into the final day.

The other game that caught my eye - Northamptonshire declared at 6 for 552 against Middlesex. But at stumps on day 3, Middlesex is 2 for 553: the 3rd wicket partnership is already worth 350.

Derek Underwood was possibly the most accurate bowler I ever saw. In 86 Tests over 16 years 'Deadly' had an economy rate of 2.10 runs per over.

He had a brisk pace for a spinner but could drop his pace when required. An outstanding player for sure.

Sad to note his passing.

Derek Underwood was possibly the most accurate bowler I ever saw. In 86 Tests over 16 years 'Deadly' had an economy rate of 2.10 runs per over.

He had a brisk pace for a spinner but could drop his pace when required. An outstanding player for sure.

Sad to note his passing.
I can recall Underwood bowling to Greg Chappell in a test in England in the mid 1970's, and when Chappell played forward to a ball that was pitched on a good length it bounced straight up and hit him in the throat.

No wonder they called him Deadly Derek!

My favourite Derek Underwood story comes from the 1974/75 Ashes series in Australia. On day 1 of the First Test, Lillee and Thomson had wreaked havoc on the Pommy top order, and it appeared certain that they'd be dismissed for a very low score. But then Underwood strode to the wicket, and he proved to be a much tougher nut to crack. He frustrated the Aussies for well over an hour, until skipper Ian Chappell finally threw the ball to the man with the golden arm, Doug Walters.

Dougie's first ball was a waist high full toss outside off stump. Underwood's eyes lit up, and he tried to smash it through the off side. However the ball connected with the outer half of the bat, and the man at cover was presented with a straightforward catch. The Aussies congregated around Walters to congratulate him - Dougie just holds up a hand and says, "Thanks boys. But I really think that most of the credit needs to go to Underwood here - a lesser batsman wouldn't have got a bat to that."

My favourite Derek Underwood story comes from the 1974/75 Ashes series in Australia. On day 1 of the First Test, Lillee and Thomson had wreaked havoc on the Pommy top order, and it appeared certain that they'd be dismissed for a very low score. But then Underwood strode to the wicket, and he proved to be a much tougher nut to crack. He frustrated the Aussies for well over an hour, until skipper Ian Chappell finally threw the ball to the man with the golden arm, Doug Walters.

Dougie's first ball was a waist high full toss outside off stump. Underwood's eyes lit up, and he tried to smash it through the off side. However the ball connected with the outer half of the bat, and the man at cover was presented with a straightforward catch. The Aussies congregated around Walters to congratulate him - Dougie just holds up a hand and says, "Thanks boys. But I really think that most of the credit needs to go to Underwood here - a lesser batsman wouldn't have got a bat to that."

No, he would've said, "One for none - you bloody bewdy!"

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back