NRL Cronulla Sharks could be forced to relocate to Central or Southern Queensland

Remove this Banner Ad

Trouble is, the NRL does want a Central Coast team.

Another idea would be to have the Dragons play more games down at Wollongong or wherever the Steelers played. At least then it gets some Sydney teams into more "regional" areas. Also, if Parramatta and Penrith don't bring in some success in the near future, merge them and have the new team as GWS....
I've always thought a Western Sydney team would be a powerhouse, with Parramatta's juniors and Penrith's juniors and money...

The Sharks should be forced to bail themselves out or go the way of Glebe. Financial and unsuccessful clubs like this one are holding the game back.

Forget competing with the AFL; think about competing to be a world-game.

The AFL is so successful because a long time ago they stopped thinking about beating the NRL and started seeing themselves as a global brand.

While ever the NRL is purely focused on winning the Sydney market, clubs like Cronulla will struggle on with help from the league at the expense of the other clubs and the game.

What are people's thoughts on a "Sydney" and "National" conference system?

This has been another idea many fans have told me about supporting, with a inter-conference Grand Final determining the NRL premiers for the season. I don't think it would work, although having another Sydney grand final makes me think it wouldn't be a terrible idea. That way we can bring in expansion clubs from outside the Sydney area without having to compromise, relocate or disband Sydney clubs.

Sorry rabbitoh20 but i can't see that happening.

But i'd go with this.

A. EASTS, WESTS, SOUTHS, St GEORGE-ILLAWARRA, CANBERRA

B. MANLY, PENRITH, PARRAMATTA, CANTERBURY, NEWCASTLE, WARRIORS

C. MELBOURNE, BRISBANE, GOLD COAST, NQ, EX1, EX2

unless there was five conferences.

A. EASTS, WESTS, SOUTHS, St GEORGE, ILLAWARRA

B. MANLY, PENRITH, PARRAMATTA, CANTERBURY, CANBERRA

C. NEWCASTLE, CENTRAL COAST, WARRIORS, ORCAS, PACIFIC X111

D. MELBOURNE, ADELAIDE, PERTH,

E. BRISBANE, CQ, GOLD COAST, NQ, PNG

Bold are expansion - contraction sides, Pacific could either play from Sydney or NZ?

Sorry rabbitoh20 but i can't see that happening.

But i'd go with this.

A. EASTS, WESTS, SOUTHS, St GEORGE-ILLAWARRA, CANBERRA

B. MANLY, PENRITH, PARRAMATTA, CANTERBURY, NEWCASTLE, WARRIORS

C. MELBOURNE, BRISBANE, GOLD COAST, NQ, EX1, EX2

unless there was five conferences.

A. EASTS, WESTS, SOUTHS, St GEORGE, ILLAWARRA

B. MANLY, PENRITH, PARRAMATTA, CANTERBURY, CANBERRA

C. NEWCASTLE, CENTRAL COAST, WARRIORS, ORCAS, PACIFIC X111

D. MELBOURNE, ADELAIDE, PERTH,

E. BRISBANE, CQ, GOLD COAST, NQ, PNG

Bold are expansion - contraction sides, Pacific could either play from Sydney or NZ?
I don't think conferences are the way to go in the long run. Either way, some Sydney teams would need to fold by the looks of it.

This has been another idea many fans have told me about supporting, with a inter-conference Grand Final determining the NRL premiers for the season. I don't think it would work, although having another Sydney grand final makes me think it wouldn't be a terrible idea. That way we can bring in expansion clubs from outside the Sydney area without having to compromise, relocate or disband Sydney clubs.

You could have divisions that determine the finalists i.e. 4 divisions of 4, Winners of each division (no matter the record) into the top 8, then the 4 next best records advance to the current finals system.

A Sydney/National conference is too unfair for travel (home and away) for the regular season.

NRL won't expand, they can't afford too.

Best to happen would be Wests to WA, Sharks to either Brisbane or CQ

NRL won't expand like the AFL "ëxpand" any NRL team will have to have private backing and stand on their own.

as for claims of merging penrith and parra, your all dreaming eel's and the dog's maybe but not Penrith and parra. if anything you just fold or relocate parra. Penrith have the finances and the juniors. Parra has nothing. (not too mention penrith are capable of good footy)

Penrith's major rival is Parramatta. They would never merge. it's like suggesting port should have merged with AFC when port were s**t. the battle of the west packs out over capacity for a reason.
besides Wests tigers now represents the South West destroying the "gws" idea.

no western Sydney team is going to be relocated or merge Western suburbs and balmain caused too much damage. The roosters and the sharks are most likely as cronulla is a perennial failure and impossible for most people to travel to, while the roosters local area continues to shrink in population.

Last edited:

So Sydney clubs wouldn't have to travel at all? Yeah that sounds fair.:confused:

So Sydney clubs wouldn't have to travel at all? Yeah that sounds fair.:confused:

and yet when the same thing is brought up about AFL conference systems, supposedly it's interstate whining.

Conferences are never going to work in Aus.
Divisional pools are the best they can hope for.

sticking with my theme of getting rid of the roosters and the sharks:

Brisbane 2
Manly
Melbourne
Newcastle

New Zealand
Broncos
South's
St George

Nth Qld
Parra
Penrith
Canberra

Bulldogs
Gold coast
West's
West Australia

this way there's at least some balance Qld teams split evenly, Sydney team's split as evenly as possible, both Newcastle and Canberra split apart and NZ and WA split so travel is even as possible.

Play your "division" twice and everyone else once.
brings it down to 20 rounds, 3 finals and the grandfinal............have a month off and then 4 nations.

I'm still against splitting it. but if you were, it must look something like this.
You can't have Sydney club's dominating one conference or division it's unfair.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Roosters will never be merged or relocated unless they're flat broke and/or been s**t on field for a decade. While they're up and about, not gonna happen. And this is coming from someone who hates the bastards!

Don't ruin the dream man!

I'l never forgive the campaigner's for stealing Fittler.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back